New MD Common FMARS channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Boh

Because they are shared? Most common use is how the counties request mutual aid from each other that don't have something like CAD to CAD or hotlines between centers. They are used statewide (they are actually NIFOG VFIRE frequencies).

atlong

Database Admin
These have been around for 30+ years. FMARS-1 = 154.2950mhz FMARS-2 = 154.2800mhz and FMARS-3 = 154.2650. These are mainly used in the mid-Atlantic region for Fire Mutual Aid. Montgomery County DFRS used to perform daily radio checks on all 3 at 0730hrs daily. Not sure if they still do. FMARS-2 is the frequency with the most use--last ~20 years, it has only been county to county (base station to base station), however back in the 80's fire unit's used to have radios with these programmed in and use them to communicate response to other county's dispatchers. AA county units used to use them to communicate with a dispatcher on mutual aid responses to Baltimore and Howard Counties. Now that trunked systems are the norm, you no longer hear mobile unit's on these frequencies due to interoperability with the trunking systems. Their "mutual" use between counties is usually based on an agreement on communications. For example, DC to Montgomery County and FFX Co to Montgomery don't use them, but rather use the PSTN. Montgomery uses them for the other surrounding jurisdictions, though.

No idea why an admin changed them in the database without the confirmation of their actual use. I don't see 154.2800 being used as a TAC frequency at all in MD, Eastern PH of WV, South Central PA...it's base to base and used for calling only. AFAIK, and I could be wrong, their use has not changed. Comments/Confirmations?

Further, I disagree with the database submission that was processed. The submitter quoted https://doit.maryland.gov/marylandfirst/Documents/Statewide Communications Interoperability Plan 2015.pdf as the source of information, however it is dated 2015. There seems to be no actual official use of this FMARS plan (someone please correct me if I am wrong). The plan on the PDF is only for DC COG, not the rest of MD that is NOT part of the COG in DC. I don't believe the information to be accurate as of this time.

Please comment.

Last edited:

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Stumbled on a later thread....not sure if it clears anything up, but obviously it went down before NIFOG 1.6.1A came out...not sure if either settles any of this:

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Figured as much. I'm so used to RR ignoring reasonable requests and having to work around them that it doesn't even faze me anymore. So I add all of the VFIRE frequencies to my scan list(s) when I program my old school scanner and relabel them manually in the programming software if I feel the need. Already have to re-edit the TG labels when I reprogram a scanner from the RRDB so I can expand Baltimore City and Baltimore County labels to something I can read at a glance with no wasted characters, what's another ten minutes work...? And now, stuck at the home office, I can use SDRTrunk, where the aliases can be as wide as one's little heart desires, so a lot less of an issue...

Looks like that thread was from 2014. Not sure it's relevant.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Figured as much. I'm so used to RR ignoring reasonable requests and having to work around them that it doesn't even faze me anymore. So I add all of the VFIRE frequencies to my scan list(s) when I program my old school scanner and relabel them manually in the programming software if I feel the need. Already have to re-edit the TG labels when I reprogram a scanner from the RRDB so I can expand Baltimore City and Baltimore County labels to something I can read at a glance with no wasted characters, what's another ten minutes work...? And now, stuck at the home office, I can use SDRTrunk, where the aliases can be as wide as one's little heart desires, so a lot less of an issue...
I think I've renamed just about every label downloaded from the RRDB.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
These have been around for 30+ years. FMARS-1 = 154.2950mhz FMARS-2 = 154.2800mhz and FMARS-3 = 154.2650. These are mainly used in the mid-Atlantic region for Fire Mutual Aid. Montgomery County DFRS used to perform daily radio checks on all 3 at 0730hrs daily. Not sure if they still do. FMARS-2 is the frequency with the most use--last ~20 years, it has only been county to county (base station to base station), however back in the 80's fire unit's used to have radios with these programmed in and use them to communicate response to other county's dispatchers. AA county units used to use them to communicate with a dispatcher on mutual aid responses to Baltimore and Howard Counties. Now that trunked systems are the norm, you no longer hear mobile unit's on these frequencies due to interoperability with the trunking systems. Their "mutual" use between counties is usually based on an agreement on communications. For example, DC to Montgomery County and FFX Co to Montgomery don't use them, but rather use the PSTN. Montgomery uses them for the other surrounding jurisdictions, though.

No idea why an admin changed them in the database without the confirmation of their actual use. I don't see 154.2800 being used as a TAC frequency at all in MD, Eastern PH of WV, South Central PA...it's base to base and used for calling only. AFAIK, and I could be wrong, their use has not changed. Comments/Confirmations?

Further, I disagree with the database submission that was processed. The submitter quoted https://doit.maryland.gov/marylandfirst/Documents/Statewide Communications Interoperability Plan 2015.pdf as the source of information, however it is dated 2015. There seems to be no actual official use of this FMARS plan (someone please correct me if I am wrong). The plan on the PDF is only for DC COG, not the rest of MD that is NOT part of the COG in DC. I don't believe the information to be accurate as of this time.

Please comment.

Sorry @atlong I was only submitting it with that information as it was the only official document I could find that references it's use other then my own monitoring. Several times I have seen the Baltimore County and City trunked systems patch it in with their dispatch talkgroups. Of course, I could be wrong in my submission, and you are welcome to put in for it to be taken down.

AFAIK, there are no more recent Maryland Statewide Communication Interoperability Plans that have been released.

I was just hoping to improve the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.