New Member Aviation Scanner Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I currently use an old Radio Shack Pro 89 scanner to pick up aviation frequincies when ever I'm plane spotting at Los Angeles International. Here's my problem I have a large 40" antenna plugged into it thinking that would improve audio quality and range but for some reason even though I'm less then a mile from the tower at LAX and aircraft. The audio quality is fuzzy sometimes. Don't get me wrong, sometimes the audio is crystal clear but most of the time I can't pick up planes less then a mile away down the runway or the tower clearly. Would buying a newer, more modern scanner improve the audio quality and range?

ab3a

If the scanner seems to be working otherwise fairly well on the flexible antenna it should have come with, then I would suggest that the primary problem is your antenna.

In any case, an antenna size of about 23 inches or so should be sufficient to receive almost everything in the vicinity of the airport. The extra length isn't going to help you all that much.

Another possibility is that the first amplifier stage of your scanner is fried. If that were the case, you'd have a scanner that was surprisingly "deaf." If you have a friend with a similar scanner or even one of a different make/model, have them tune in to what you're listening to, using similar antennas. If their sounds significantly better than yours, you may have a problem with the scanner itself.

Good luck....

I don't know anyone that has the same scanner as me. But as you said, if I'm right next to the airport the tower frequency and any planes near by should come in crystal clear right?

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
I say there is something def wrong with your scanner....nothing with your antenna. Time to buy a new one and if you are that close.to LAX the stock antenna should work just fine

MisterLongwire

Banned
When i lived in westchester that is all I had and I heard planes on the ground and eveything else........clearance delivery...ground on the 24 and 25 side.....tower...approach freqs....departure(124.300 and 125.200). Beyond those.dep freqs as well as arrivals you will need a better antenna than the stock antenna whip/ducky

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The longer antenna might be making things worse for you. Most likely, it is not designed to cover the VHF aero band.

You could be getting a de-sense issue, as well. If this is your problem, it would be caused by nearby transmitters. An FM Trap could improve your reception.

Sent via Tapatalk

N8IAA

you will need a better antenna than the stock antenna whip/ducky

Just to be clear, in his first post, he is using a 40" antenna. Not the supplied rubber duck.
Too much, is too much.
A quarter wave 145MHz antenna will work sufficiently for the VHF air band.
To the OP, if you have a NMO mount on your vehicle, Larsen sells a 1/4 wave antenna that is ideal for air comms. It is about 23" long. It will definitely improve reception.
Larry

MisterLongwire

Banned
Just to.be clear....get rid of the LARGE 40 inch antenna and use a stock multiband antenna....ie....ducky....a d you should be fine. Totally unnecessary to buy a filter and who knows what not. If you cannot hear even with the duck then you know your radio's front end is shot. No filter will fix it. Onlly way to.fix it is getting another radio.

kma371

QRT
Just another suggestion, are you sure you are listening in AM mode? If it's an audio issue, it's possible you switched to FM or some other mode

Status
Not open for further replies.