new member, but not to scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2VUF

Hi all,

Just purchased a new BCD536 and have loaded my favorite frequencies etc., via Sentinel. All the conventional channels are working fine, but I'm not receiving anything on 2 of the P25 systems I have entered.
My suspicion is that I'm overlooking something glaringly obvious. Are there changes I have to make on the radio itself or should that have already been addressed with the Sentinel software ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can PM me if you prefer.

Thanks Bill
KC2VUF

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Did you program any sites for the trunked systems? if you don't, or if you deleted them when copying the system from the main database to your favorite list, you won't be able to scan the system.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
My suspicion is that I'm overlooking something glaringly obvious.

Well, in part telling us specifically what system(s) you are trying to monitor would qualify as something overlooked.

KC2VUF

Jon, thanks for responding. I guess 'programming the sites' as you queried, is where I'm having the problem: trunked / simulcast systems are all new to me. The P25 systems I entered came directly from Sentinel, so I thought all the correct data would have been imported directly. I'll try re-reading the manual for the 3rd time ! If you can think of anything else, drop me a line.
Thanks Bill

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Are you referring to this system: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8553

If so it looks like they have several encrypted talkgroups. Thus the question is are they using only the encrypted talkgroups, or the clear talkgroups, or both? If encrypted only, you are out of luck.

The only other things I can think of without knowing the ins and outs of the specific system are whether you have selected the correct service types, have the sites entered and being scanned and the correct zip code entered on your scanner if you use Location Control for the Favorites List.

Have you tried scanning using the full database and receive this system correctly? If you can with the full database but not as a Favorites List, that suggests an issue with your Favorites List.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
While the Albany County P25 system includes encrypted talkgroups, there is a considerable amount of clear voice on this system. Between the city of Albany, Colonie, and the county Sheriffs, traffic is fairly constant. I live in Glenmont, just south of Albany, and have programmed this system into both my Uniden 996xt, using FreeSCAN, as well as my RadioShack PRO-651, using PSREDIT500. Aside from the normal reception hiccups with P25, I've never had a situation where I was unable to hear anything.

KC2VUF

Thanks Bob

I probably should have asked that question first (if anyone in my area was picking up Colonie PD), now I'm sure that the problem is with my 536 set up....more research / reading needs to be done on my part.

Being new to this forum, I can't seem to find where the regional forums are....any ideas ?

As an aside, the BCD536 is one heck of a scanner, living in Latham I can routinely receive Boston Center on VHF, a distance of 150 miles.

Nasby

Hi Bob,

If you scroll way down in the forums section you will see a section that is divided up by state.

Good luck with your scanner!!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I probably should have asked that question first (if anyone in my area was picking up Colonie PD), now I'm sure that the problem is with my 536 set up....more research / reading needs to be done on my part.

Being new to this forum, I can't seem to find where the regional forums are....any ideas ?

As an aside, the BCD536 is one heck of a scanner, living in Latham I can routinely receive Boston Center on VHF, a distance of 150 miles.

The New York regional forum is here: https://forums.radioreference.com/new-york-radio-discussion-forum/, and the Albany County-specific thread is here: https://forums.radioreference.com/new-york-radio-discussion-forum/322548-albany-county-p25.html.

Status
Not open for further replies.