New Member - Fairly Simple Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BexarWolf

Well, simple question for now. There is a WEALTH of info on this forum so I'll try to refrain from asking the redundant questions until I'm stumped.

I don't even have my scanner yet but started looking through the threads here to "pre-game" it's arrival. I purchased what was selling as a "lightly used" BC246t. From what I've read, it's a fairly competent scanner and such.

Back in the day, I remember having a scanner with crystals. I've been trying to figure out this trunking, DMA, groups, etc but it's almost like a foreign language right now. I've found listings for some locations close to me (Central Texas - Austin area) but there are more numbers there than I saw in algebra 25 years ago. Hex, GATRRS........wha?!?! I'm sure once I get the scanner in hand and buy software to program it, it'll make more sense.

My basic question (after all that rambling), did I blow $100 on a scanner that's going to be a paperweight in this area?

Thanks in advance and HUGE thanks for the information included in these forums. I look forward to MANY hours of reading. :eek:)

captclint

Mentor
My basic question (after all that rambling), did I blow $100 on a scanner that's going to be a paperweight in this area?
Maybe. There are several digital systems in your area that look like many agencies have migrated to them. Your scanner will only do analog trunking/voice...not digital. Only someone from your area: Travis County, Texas (TX) will be able to determine how much you will miss. As for DMA, I like the simple analogy of folders. Think of main folders for local agencies, county, and state. Under each folder, you can have sub folders(groups). For example, under County, you could have Fire, EMS, and PD sub folders. The main folder is a system, which could be a trunking system, or just a logical collection of non trunked agencies you want to monitor.
The ability to dynamically divide up your memory this way is called DMA. No more banks with restrictions on how many per bank.

Yes, software will greatly enhance your understanding of the whole thing, as well as save you countless hours of key strokes on the scanner. Welcome to RR.

Last edited:

BexarWolf

Thanks for the reply, Capt. I think I ran into this same problem about a year ago when I was considering getting a scanner and found out a lot was digital here and I'd need a $500 scanner to monitor. That's when I found the live feeds here on RR. :eek:)

I guess I'll feed it whatever I can and monitor whatever's available.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Bexar, if you look at the bottom of the link Clint gave you (it's in blue), there's a fair amount of stuff that might be receivable with the 246; however everything marked 'Project 25' cannot be received with that scanner.

That being said, if you want to get going with learning about DMA, you need to go to our Uniden DMA FAQ which is in our wiki. Go to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over Wiki and select FAQs from the pulldown. Click on the Uniden DMA FAQ from the list on the right. At the bottom of the FAQ are links to the Easier to Read manuals. Click on and download the 246 version.

This being a Uniden forum, to hear the stuff marked Project 25 in the type field, you would need a 396XT or 996XT.

73 Mike

BexarWolf

Bexar, if you look at the bottom of the link Clint gave you (it's in blue), there's a fair amount of stuff that might be receivable with the 246; however everything marked 'Project 25' cannot be received with that scanner.

That being said, if you want to get going with learning about DMA, you need to go to our Uniden DMA FAQ which is in our wiki. Go to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over Wiki and select FAQs from the pulldown. Click on the Uniden DMA FAQ from the list on the right. At the bottom of the FAQ are links to the Easier to Read manuals. Click on and download the 246 version.

This being a Uniden forum, to hear the stuff marked Project 25 in the type field, you would need a 396XT or 996XT.

73 Mike

I've been looking through that link and the information associated. I don't see "project 25" anywhere but I do see the PL and DPL listed under "tone" in the floating box. So I should assume that I will be able to receive PL but not DPL or NAC? Sorry for being so dense. I know this stuff is like reading nursery rhymes but for me (until I get to apply it practically with the scanner and software).........it's Greek. LoL

Thanks again for the replies and patience.

captclint

Mentor
I've been looking through that link and the information associated. I don't see "project 25" anywhere but I do see the PL and DPL listed under "tone" in the floating box.
Where you see PL or DPL, that frequency is not trunked or digital, and you CAN receive it. NAC is for digital.
As mentioned, all the trunked systems are at the bottom of the page. Under Type, you will see
System Type: Motorola Type I
System Voice: Analog
Where you see this, it is digital
System Type: Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

Last edited:

BexarWolf

Ok, I have the scanner in hand. What I didn't have in hand was a power cord and download cable. *sigh* I should have asked up front I guess.

I went to RS and got a power cord so at least I can do something without the batteries dying. I've ordered the download cable from Uniden and who knows when that will arrive. In the meantime, I'm going to try to program some manually to see how it works. Once I have the download cable, I'll decide which software I want to use.

If I understand the DMA, here's what I'm planning:

System: Williamson County
Group: Fire
Channel: Fire Dept 1 (example)
Fire Dept 2
Fire Dept 3
etc

Group: Public Safety
Channel: Whatever I can find to monitor

System: Travis County
Group: Fire
Channel: FD 1