New member from Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKChild

I'm Canadian and I want to buy my first digital scanner.. Would I be able to pick up the digital police calls in Ontario Canada? Would you recommend a product. Price ... $600-700 Canadian$
I really want a scanner but it is of no value if I can't pick up the new digital calls up here Help please, Thanks. .

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hi TK,

I move your thread from the Live Audio forum to here, the Canadian forums section.

Welcome to RR:) You will get the best help here.
Thanks

Northerner71

I live in Northern Ontario, I use a GRE PSR 500, it is great for our fleetnet system, it will allow you to scan OPP,Ambulance,MNR C.O.'s,and MTO. They cost roughly $500 new. They have quite a learning curve but with time and people on RR it is easier.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It all depends on where you are and what digital you are looking at receiving. If you want the OPP and such, then you are good to go. Take a look at the Wiki here and you will see there are a handful of digital scanners what work very will for P25 digital (which is what the OPP (and MTO/MNR etc) use on Fleetnet).

If by chance you are in an area like Chatham, London, Brantford and a few other places, they use a digital format that can't be decoded by any digital scanner. There is also the chance that your municipality may be encrypted. So.... Need to know where you are, and who you want to listen to! :)

SuperTex

Welcome!

Indeed as other members have indicated, we need to know where you are, and what you want to listen to.
There are people here who have experience with the various models and can make recommendations to you.

Also there is a nice spread of people across the province to help you out. You should be able to get a nice unit for the price range you're looking at.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Welcome!

The OPP are fun to listen to and transmit using P25 Digital technology.

Most of the local (to my area) police forces/municipalities still use analog means, be it EDACS in Halton or Motorola systems in Hamilton and Toronto and Peel.

Should you be from this area you will have a lot to listen to.

As for your choices, look around on this site, some swear by Uniden scanners, others by GRE and Radio Shack Pro scanners. I have used pretty much exclusively Uniden scanners to 10 years now and love them. My current workhorse is BCD396T, the older portable Uniden trunker. It serves me well and I have had it for 3 plus years now. I have also had the honour of using a base station 996, the newest version of it and it kicks ass!

For your piece of mind you will hear from people on here who love both or either, have an open mind and be prepared to spend close to $500 (low end, up to $700 for newer scanners). There are good companies in the states that want your business as well as great guys in Canada who sell scanners and want your business. There are also a few store fronts in the GTA who want your business but IMO charge a but too much.

If you need any help please ask.

Eric

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I sell the Uniden BCD396XT (newest digital scanner) brand new for $580 canadian cash (or can ship it).

You can also look for a GRE PSR-500 from lectron radio for about $550 (I believe free shipping).. so that is a cheaper option.
GRE SCANNER: PSR500: Digital Triple Trunking HandHeld Scanne

again all this is depending on where you are located.. in case the "new digital calls" are a format that no scanner can pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.