New member-general question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcc008

I am new to the radio world. I was given a uniden bearcat bct2 scanner. Which antenna would work best for install in my 2006 jeep grand Cherokee? Im looking for a somewhat low profile one but I don't feel like drilling a hole in my roof although I do like those styles. And I believe it requires a Motorola connector. Any information would be greatly appreciated

skatertj

Welcome! I would like to ask, are you wanting an all around scanning antenna or do you plan to listen to certain frequencies? I know of a lot of people on here like the Larsen Tri-band antenna. It runs on frequencies around 150/450/800 mhz and its only around 17' tall. If your wanting an all around antenna, this would be a good choice. I personally am running a 1/4th wave vhf antenna which is about 19' tall. It is good anywhere from 140 to about 500 mhz. It is a larsen brand too and they make great antennas even though I do plan to upgrade to the Tri-band.

As for mounts, if you get ANY nmo style antenna, you will have three main mount options: Permanent which requires a hole in the roof, L bracket which could be put somewhere near your hood(requires two small holes for screws), and magnet mount, also trunk lip but you dont have a trunk of course.
Mine is a permanent mount because my car had a hole pre-drilled for it by the police department. If I were you and not wanting to drill a hole in my roof, i would do either the L bracket by the hood or a mag mount. All of these mounts are considered Motorola because NMO stands for New Motorola.

Hope that helps some!

sphipps

Not really an answer to your antenna question, but I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee of similar vintage and it produces horrendous alternator and ignition noise if using the DC accessory jacks to power radio equipment. If yours is as bad as mine, you might want to consider wiring the BCT2 direct to the battery.

Mcc008

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I plan on wiring it to the battery. Maybe even in a switch so I can have it stowed away.

lafd55

just get a glass mount antenna, it's clean, no drilling, and would work fine with your scanner. Or get a lip mount for the hood. All Bearcats have a BMC connector. Maxrad has a scanner antenna too that's pretty much the same but with different base.

angelofwar

I'll post this here in hopes of an answer, instead of starting a new thread...

First off, this place is awesome! Not just the ite, but the folks on it!

Anyways,

I recently acquired a RS Pro-160, and it has the stock 25" collapsing antenna...I'm looking to get some-waht improved reception (not that I need it...I want it...LOL). Anyways, will the Radio Shack 20-551 (40" center loading) be a decent improvement in reception range? The local LE/Fire, etc. come in nice and clear, I'm just looking to improve the range at what I can pick stuff up.

I will eventually try to build some angled "tactical" antennas, but baby steps!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just went through the technical specs...states it's goof for VHF Freq. 30~512MHz...which would primarily cover Marine/Aircraft/FRS correct??? This will be good for ONE of my intended uses (monitoring FRS for my family when we go camping). Will this antenna be completely useless for 800mhz freq.'s? I will also be using my scanner for CB tx's since I recently acquired two Midland 75-785's HH units.

EDIT #2: Or would something like this work bette, even if I had nothing metal per-se to attach it to? http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102469

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I'll post this here in hopes of an answer, instead of starting a new thread...

First off, this place is awesome! Not just the ite, but the folks on it!

Anyways,

I recently acquired a RS Pro-160, and it has the stock 25" collapsing antenna...I'm looking to get some-waht improved reception (not that I need it...I want it...LOL). Anyways, will the Radio Shack 20-551 (40" center loading) be a decent improvement in reception range? The local LE/Fire, etc. come in nice and clear, I'm just looking to improve the range at what I can pick stuff up.

I will eventually try to build some angled "tactical" antennas, but baby steps!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just went through the technical specs...states it's goof for VHF Freq. 30~512MHz...which would primarily cover Marine/Aircraft/FRS correct??? This will be good for ONE of my intended uses (monitoring FRS for my family when we go camping). Will this antenna be completely useless for 800mhz freq.'s? I will also be using my scanner for CB tx's since I recently acquired two Midland 75-785's HH units.

EDIT #2: Or would something like this work bette, even if I had nothing metal per-se to attach it to? Magnet-mount mobile scanner antenna - RadioShack.com

Yes the RS 20-551 antenna will cover Marine/Aircraft/FRS but it will probably be deaf on 800 MHz

Just exactly how are you going to use your scanner for TX's on CB? TX means to transmit.

If you want a mag-mount antenna for scanning try getting the Larsen tri-band antenna,it will not do great on low band but it covers150/450/800 MHz you will also have to get a NMO magnet mount to attach the antenna to

You need a mag-mount antenna attached to something metal in order for it to work properly.

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Another vote for thru the glass

TO THE OP (Mcc008) - I have two Jeeps (Grand Cherokee and Liberty) and they are difficult to find antenna locations on.... particularly if you want something that is low profile. I had a wonderful Comet center loaded dual band antenna on an NMO mount drilled in the center of the Liberty roof. It was a foldover antenna, and every time before I went in the garage I would stop, get out, and fold over the antenna. That lasted about six months until one day I was in a hurry, drove into the garage, forgetting the antenna. Ripped the roof open like a can opener on a tuna can. After the repair I replaced it with a 17" flexy antenna that works very well, but am still dealing with the damage from rusting. So I appreciate your "low profile" request. If you have to put something on top of the roof, ensure it is totally flexible.... unless you never plan to drive into a garage, parking garage, or other low ceiling.
But you wrote that you had a scanner so I'm assuming you will not be transmitting. I have tried a lot of different antenna schemes with the Liberty: AM/FM radio antenna splitter (not good on either scanner or AM/FM radio), suction cup/wire antenna inside window (about as good as splitter), and an external glass-mounted antenna. The glass mount works VERY well, and gets the antenna outside the vehicle. And it folds down for garaging. Larsen has one, but since you are only receiving you may want to check out the Tram scanner antenna. About $14 from Amazon. I've had mine for a year now, and here's a pic of it on my Liberty.

Attachments

• Tram thruglass on Liberty.jpg
    Tram thruglass on Liberty.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 971

angelofwar

Yes the RS 20-551 antenna will cover Marine/Aircraft/FRS but it will probably be deaf on 800 MHz

Just exactly how are you going to use your scanner for TX's on CB? TX means to transmit.

If you want a mag-mount antenna for scanning try getting the Larsen tri-band antenna,it will not do great on low band but it covers150/450/800 MHz you will also have to get a NMO magnet mount to attach the antenna to

You need a mag-mount antenna attached to something metal in order for it to work properly.

Thanks 169...I meant receive CB tx.'s, but reading it now, I can see where the mix-up happened. So, I need to look for 800mhz antenna's if I want farther 800 rx? I was hoping to get a better antenna locally that will recieve all Tx's, as this scanner is part of my ZPAW kit, and I want it to do everything half way decent...so, for a multi-platform antenna that I can use for multiple rx., I'd have to go for a magnet mount one? I was hoping to find a 90deg. elbow telescoping that's an upgrade to the one I have currently

LtDoc

All multi-band antennas are compromises, no way around that. The best that you can do is to find/select an antenna that does well on the particular band(s) you are interested in. The one thing that will produce the most improvement is to get that antenna higher. (Yeah, right, not so easy with a mobile, especially if you don't want it to be noticeable.)
About the only way to get any significant 'gain' with VHF/UHF mobile antennas is by using a vertical array type antenna (multiple 'elements' with the proper phasing/timing). Again, you're back to the larger and more noticeable thingy.
Optimizing any antenna (for some particular band) deals with that antenna's length primarily. That's typically more 'acceptable' with VHF/UHF antennas. Try that for HF antennas! That's when 'noticeable' is really noticeable. :)
- 'Doc

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Another option: there are lip mounts that will fit on your liftgate/tailgate. I don't have any of the adds handy, but if you look through a ham radio magazine, you will see the ads.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks 169...I meant receive CB tx.'s, but reading it now, I can see where the mix-up happened. So, I need to look for 800mhz antenna's if I want farther 800 rx? I was hoping to get a better antenna locally that will recieve all Tx's, as this scanner is part of my ZPAW kit, and I want it to do everything half way decent...so, for a multi-platform antenna that I can use for multiple rx., I'd have to go for a magnet mount one? I was hoping to find a 90deg. elbow telescoping that's an upgrade to the one I have currently

What is a ZPAW kit?

You could also try a 90° BNC female to BNC male elbow part and attach a Diamond RH77CA to it and attach it to your scanner.

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/parts/bncadapt.html

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/scanants/2368.html

Last edited:

angelofwar

What is a ZPAW kit?

You could also try a 90° BNC female to BNC male elbow part and attach a Diamond RH77CA to it and attach it to your scanner.

BNC Adapters

Diamond RH77CA Amateur HT Antenna

That looks like a nice antenna for the price 169! I was hoping to pick one up locally, since I'm going camping in just a few days, and the only place in my smallish town I'm aware of that sells anything scanner/CB related is Radio Shack. I'll probably order one of these when I get back from my trip though!

ZPAW is slang for "Zombie Apocalypse" :0) {Disasters, short/long term emergencies, power outages, etc.}

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
That looks like a nice antenna for the price 169! I was hoping to pick one up locally, since I'm going camping in just a few days, and the only place in my smallish town I'm aware of that sells anything scanner/CB related is Radio Shack. I'll probably order one of these when I get back from my trip though!

ZPAW is slang for "Zombie Apocalypse" :0) {Disasters, short/long term emergencies, power outages, etc.}

Oh,okay,have fun :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.