New Member needs pointed in right direction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nascartime14

Hi everyone
State: Maryland
County: Harford
Link: Harford County Trunking System, Bel Air, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies

I'm getting back into listening to the scanner again and looking to see what i need i know my county is 800 mhz but i don't know what trunked or double trunk is. So much has changed in the past 15 years. Im looking to buy a portable scanner i don't know how many channels i need im not trying to spend a bunch of money on my hobby. I like to listen to police,fire,Medivac, If there is anything i have not put on here that you may need to know please let me know and i will get the info you need.... If you know of a good scanner could you post the name and model number...
Thanks for your help and happy scanning everyone...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here's something that will help you get up to speed on trunking (note that all links are blue)

Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

To hear the Harford system, you will need one of the digital trunktrackers - and you should be aware that a new statewide system is currently in construction (and is operating in your neck of the woods) that uses a mode that only a few scanners can decode. Unfortunately they're not cheap...so save your bucks up

Since you mentioned a portable, there are only 2 that qualify - The GRE made PSR-800 and the Uniden BCD436HP. Our wiki has fairly extensive information on both models...Both scanners will hear the Harford system without problems.

PSR-800 - The RadioReference Wiki

BCD436HP - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

N8IAA

Mike, it is a mixed mode system that has all Digital TGID's.
I would suggest to the member to get a Whistler 1040, Uniden 396XT to save some money and still listen to the system.
Larry

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
While that's true for the Harford system, the Maryland FiRST system (which is active in Harford county) is entirely Phase 2. Neither scanner will work for that, and he did say he was interested in police activity. The local Md.State Police barracks are now on FiRST, and aren't using their usual low band stuff as much anymore, from reports I've read.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.