New Member Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe357

Hey yall, I'm new to scanners and have a few general questions I'd like to ask, I'm here in Heard Co. Georgia , please be simple with answers. I have searched around looking for answers to my questions, but being that I am pretty new, I don't undestand some of it.
The main thing is, what is the most basic(cheapest) scanner I would need to monitor police and fire in my county. I currently have a Uniden BC350A, but I don't think it works in my county, I do live about 20 miles outside of city, in rolling hills with lots of trees, so maybe I need a bigger antenna???
I did manage to hear some faint scrambled airline talk once or twice..
If I don't respond right away please give me at least 24 hrs. cause I don't have a lot of time to get on here.

N8IAA

Hey yall, I'm new to scanners and have a few general questions I'd like to ask, I'm here in Heard Co. Georgia , please be simple with answers. I have searched around looking for answers to my questions, but being that I am pretty new, I don't undestand some of it.
The main thing is, what is the most basic(cheapest) scanner I would need to monitor police and fire in my county. I currently have a Uniden BC350A, but I don't think it works in my county, I do live about 20 miles outside of city, in rolling hills with lots of trees, so maybe I need a bigger antenna???
I did manage to hear some faint scrambled airline talk once or twice..
If I don't respond right away please give me at least 24 hrs. cause I don't have a lot of time to get on here.

Joe, I asked the mods to move your post to the GA state forum. But, I'm going to suggest a couple of scanners for you. They are the Whistler WS1040, WS1065, Uniden HP-1, and if you can find them, the 396XT/996XT scanners. They all will work on the WARRS system which is P-25, Phase I.
You were correct in that your 350A won't work anymore.
It's a different scanning world now. Digital scanning has taken us down a different road. I believe that there are a couple of Phase I scanners in the For Sale forum. Check them out.
HTH,
Larry

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Sorry, as the forum subject says, we don't move threads unless specifically requested by the OP.

Joe can click on the little red and white triangle in the upper right of his first post and ask that the thread be moved.

joe357

Joe, I asked the mods to move your post to the GA state forum. But, I'm going to suggest a couple of scanners for you. They are the Whistler WS1040, WS1065, Uniden HP-1, and if you can find them, the 396XT/996XT scanners. They all will work on the WARRS system which is P-25, Phase I.
You were correct in that your 350A won't work anymore.
It's a different scanning world now. Digital scanning has taken us down a different road. I believe that there are a couple of Phase I scanners in the For Sale forum. Check them out.
HTH,
Larry
Thanks Larry, I'll research those models and check out the for sale page. Much appreciated!
I also requested my thread be moved to Georgia forums.
Do you think I would need a bigger/higher antenna to use with the newer scanner? Like I said I live in very hilly area around Chattahoochee with lots of trees.

N8IAA

Thanks Larry, I'll research those models and check out the for sale page. Much appreciated!
I also requested my thread be moved to Georgia forums.
Do you think I would need a bigger/higher antenna to use with the newer scanner? Like I said I live in very hilly area around Chattahoochee with lots of trees.

There are only two sites listed in the RR database, even though they are simulcast. Which means more than one tower site. It will depend on whether you are closer to Carrollton, or Newnan.
I would try using the antenna that came with the radio to get an idea of how strong the signal is in your area. Then, the option is to get an antenna that will work.
HTH,
Larry

joe357

Thanks Larry, I checked out those scanners you listed. I was hoping to spend less than $200, I did some more browsing on ebay and found these and wanted to ask what you think.
RadioShack PRO-107
Grecom psr 700
Uniden BC296D
Uniden BC246T
I really like the fact that you can easily program the Pro-107 from your computer, sounds really easy, but I'm not sure if heard co. is digital or analog???

N8IAA

Thanks Larry, I checked out those scanners you listed. I was hoping to spend less than $200, I did some more browsing on ebay and found these and wanted to ask what you think.
RadioShack PRO-107
Grecom psr 700
Uniden BC296D
Uniden BC246T
I really like the fact that you can easily program the Pro-107 from your computer, sounds really easy, but I'm not sure if heard co. is digital or analog???

The three scanners in red are analog scanners only. They will not receive the WARRS P-25 Phase I system that Heard county is on.
The 296D is supposed to decode Phase I, but it is an older scanner that will have problems with digital simulcast. Used to have a Pro-96 that had the same problem. Would loose the signal and the voices would be all garbled. You may find a Pro-106 for around $200, but any newer scanner capable of P-25 Phase I is not cheap, even used. That's what has happened in the last few years with all the NEW scanners that are SD card based.
Just consider what I've posted. Just so that you know, the 296D can not decode 700 MHz frequencies that the Coweta site is on. You will not have the ability to hear anything from that site if it is the closest to you!
Larry

Last edited:

DC

Scanners for WARRS System

Hey Joe, if you can find one on EBAY the scanners that will work best are the GRECOM PSR500 handheld, or the RadioShack PRO106 hanheld, or you can go to a local radioshack and see if they have the PRO106 equivalent. If you get one of these scanners PM me and I'll give you my contact info. As I live in South Carroll County and monitor the WARRS system I can program your radio for no charge. Heard County is on this P25 Phase I system, and is digital.

joe357

Thanks for the info guys, that helps a lot, let me study up on those and get back to you, if you look on googl maps I'm right around yellowdirt/centralhatchee, kinda in between Newnan and Carrollton, let me ask, just so I think I understand, are Coweta, Heard Carroll digital or analog?
I thought analog was and old scanner like my BC150a, and digital was the newer trunking scanners.
This is confusing. So on the newer apco-25 1 & 2 scanners, digital and analog, some counties use analog and some use digital?
Sorry if my questions don't make sense

N8IAA

Thanks for the info guys, that helps a lot, let me study up on those and get back to you, if you look on googl maps I'm right around yellowdirt/centralhatchee, kinda in between Newnan and Carrollton, let me ask, just so I think I understand, are Coweta, Heard Carroll digital or analog?
I thought analog was and old scanner like my BC150a, and digital was the newer trunking scanners.
This is confusing. So on the newer apco-25 1 & 2 scanners, digital and analog, some counties use analog and some use digital?

You're making it a bit more confusing. First you post your location as Heard, now you are somewhere between Coweta and Carroll counties.

Second, the 150A is a conventional analog scanner. No trunk tracking. A newer analog trunk tracking scanner will scan conventional frequencies and analog trunk systems. But, won't decode anything that is digital P-25.

Third, just to confuse you a bit more, all current scanners that receive P-25 Phase I and Phase II will also receive analog conventional and trunk systems. Some, like the Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2 receive DMR, and in a few weeks will also decode NXDN.

The type of scanner you need is either a WS1040 handheld, WS1065 base/mobile, RS Pro-651 or Pro-652. Older would be a Pro-106 or Pro-197. For Unidens, the BCD396XT or BCD996XT for Phase I. The newer Phase II scanners start at $350 and up.

I, personally, would go with the Whistler/RS branded scanners. They are easier to find. Also, if you want inexpensive Phase II, see what the prices are on the Pro-668. This way if WARRS does go Phase II, you won't have to get a new scanner.

I know it's a lot of info to digest. Just ask questions. Oh, and yes, some counties use analog and some use P-25, DMR, and NXDN (which are all different flavors off digital formats).
HTH,
Larry

Last edited:

DC

All of the WARRS System (Carroll, Heard, Haralson and Coweta are P25 Phase 1 digital. With that being said, Carroll and Haralson do simulcast their fire and EMS dispatch on conventional, which the BC150a will decode.

The frequencies are:
Carroll County Fire Dispatch - 155.1450
West Georgia Ambulance - 155.2050
Haralson County Fire Dispatch - 154.0100
Ambucare EMS - 151.9850

Hope this helps,
DC

Status
Not open for further replies.