new member - quick intro and question

Hello everyone -

I've just registered and wanted to introduce myself - I'm not sure this is the best forum for that, but I couldn't find an obvious "introductions" forum or thread, so - if this is not the appropriate place - could a moderator / admin please move my post to the correct part of the site, thanks (and if you do move this thread could you possibly PM me to let me know where it's been moved to).

So - briefly: I'm UK based and have been listening to shortwave on and off since the late 1970s when I got a Sharp GF-123 radio cassette player. Being only a little kid I had no idea about SW, but I did find it the most interesting of the radio's frequencies. Intriguing, even. Years passed. Suddenly it was the 1990s. Insomnia became a bit of a thing, and I often found myself listening to SW - this time with a Sharp QT-27. It's a bit like how astronomers talk about binoculars. It's possible to do some useful stargazing even with a pair of basic, cheap bins. Similarly, even a cheap SW receiver can pick up numbers stations, broadcasts from around the world, and all manner of bizarre sounding utility stations.

Hence this is how I would while away sleepless hours - dialling slowly up and down the SW band. The best thing about that QT-27 was that I could record stuff using the cassette function. And don't forget - it was in 1997 that Irdial-Discs released the Conet Project. I somehow stumbled upon that, and began to learn more about the SW band, DX-ing, and so on. I made many hours of recordings of random but "interesting" sounds from the SW band. I've very recently digitised these and will post some on YouTube etc. in due course. And this is what led me to find this website. The other month I did plug in and use a QT-27 to comb its SW band - but it seemed totally dead. I tried again, another day, late at night - same result. Nada.

I used the internet to see what's happened to the SW frequencies. There was a lot of negative stuff about how many broadcasters no longer use SW. Okay. I get that. But I think I want to get back into it, if I can. And this time I'll use a 'proper' receiver. I don't want memory functions to store stations. I don't want to be able to broadcast. I don't even really want FM, MW or LW capability either. I just want a decent SW receiver - with a dial to turn, preferably with decent sensitivity. A headphone out is important too. I'm currently thinking Tecsun PL-660. But it's got a lot of stuff on it I'd probably never use. Please advise. Cheers guys.

ditto1958

I’m really new at this, but I’ve read a boatload of reviews and watched a lot of videos. The current crop of small portable radios pretty much all seem to be really good, and the Tecsun PL-660 is no exception. It gets really good reviews.

I’m sure other more experienced members can give you some excellent recommendations.

TAC4

Hello from Canada 🇨🇦 and welcome to the forum. You have
come to right place. Alot of us on here have been in the SWL
hobby for decades.

I did a quick search of your radio and it is time for an upgrade. That Sharp is not a dedicated shortwave radio and would
be weak on the shortwave bands by today's standards.

The Tecsun PL-660 will be a great choice even know
I am a fan of the more expensive Sangean ATS-909X2.
There are tons of shortwave stations still broadcasting 24/7
In fact looking at the Shortwave Info site we are not even
scratching the surface from DX around the globe.

The secret to modern day SWL is you have to reduce
your noise floor, that static sound you hear in the background caused by RFI in your home which can be as simple
as unplugging offending computer monitors, outdoor
led lights to wall adapters.

The goal is to get your noise floor (static) to 1 to 3S units
on your radios meter which according to NOAA is natural
occurring background noise. That is what I am running at.

If the RFI created by all the modern day electronics in your house
is giving you S9 units or higher you are not going to pick up the
weaker stations because they are being masked by to much static.

I spend alot of time this subject because it can mean the
differences between success and failure in this hobby.
Another way to look at it, if you take your radio outside
far away from your house then come inside with the radio
on your static level should stay the same.

Last edited:

merlin

Welcome to RR. Yea, there is still plenty of listening on shortwave bands and I agree with the above posts.
I have a few decoders I use to decode some digital stuff, marine band weather etc.
As you get back into SWLing, there are several sites dedicated to the hobby, you might search those up.
You may start looking at SDR. I have an Airspy HF discovery plus I use often.
If you have the real estate, don't skimp on your antennas.

TAC4

Here is a perfect example of how unwanted RFI can hugely effect
your radios noise floor and DX listening. My phone on the other
side of the shack with the charger cable plugging in and then
unplugged from the phone. Look at how much the meter dropped.

Just think how many other devices in the home that are creating
unwanted RFI and wiping out all those weak DX signals.

Attachments

• 20240822_112120.jpg
    20240822_112120.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240822_111951.jpg
    20240822_111951.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 7

ditto1958

I’ve sure noticed that myself. I like to use my phone or tablet to identify signals I receive, but the devices change and interfere with radio reception. I need to take my radio outside before it gets cold here and see what it can do outside the house.

KB2GOM

Hello everyone -

I've just registered and wanted to introduce myself - I'm not sure this is the best forum for that, but I couldn't find an obvious "introductions" forum or thread, so - if this is not the appropriate place - could a moderator / admin please move my post to the correct part of the site, thanks (and if you do move this thread could you possibly PM me to let me know where it's been moved to).

So - briefly: I'm UK based and have been listening to shortwave on and off since the late 1970s when I got a Sharp GF-123 radio cassette player. Being only a little kid I had no idea about SW, but I did find it the most interesting of the radio's frequencies. Intriguing, even. Years passed. Suddenly it was the 1990s. Insomnia became a bit of a thing, and I often found myself listening to SW - this time with a Sharp QT-27. It's a bit like how astronomers talk about binoculars. It's possible to do some useful stargazing even with a pair of basic, cheap bins. Similarly, even a cheap SW receiver can pick up numbers stations, broadcasts from around the world, and all manner of bizarre sounding utility stations.

Hence this is how I would while away sleepless hours - dialling slowly up and down the SW band. The best thing about that QT-27 was that I could record stuff using the cassette function. And don't forget - it was in 1997 that Irdial-Discs released the Conet Project. I somehow stumbled upon that, and began to learn more about the SW band, DX-ing, and so on. I made many hours of recordings of random but "interesting" sounds from the SW band. I've very recently digitised these and will post some on YouTube etc. in due course. And this is what led me to find this website. The other month I did plug in and use a QT-27 to comb its SW band - but it seemed totally dead. I tried again, another day, late at night - same result. Nada.

I used the internet to see what's happened to the SW frequencies. There was a lot of negative stuff about how many broadcasters no longer use SW. Okay. I get that. But I think I want to get back into it, if I can. And this time I'll use a 'proper' receiver. I don't want memory functions to store stations. I don't want to be able to broadcast. I don't even really want FM, MW or LW capability either. I just want a decent SW receiver - with a dial to turn, preferably with decent sensitivity. A headphone out is important too. I'm currently thinking Tecsun PL-660. But it's got a lot of stuff on it I'd probably never use. Please advise. Cheers guys.

First, welcome aboard!

Second, there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here with good advice to offer.

Third, the capabilities of modern shortwave portables -- like the ability to scan and to do automatic search and store -- can be pretty handy. I have not used the PL-660, but many people report good results with it. In my experience, the XHDATA D-808 is pretty capable as well. You might also check out the radio reviews here: Shortwave Radio Reviews

Fourth, as several people have commented, an external antenna can really enhance performance. Experimenting with a bit of wire can be inexpensive and fun.

And finally, in my not-so-humble opinion, radio is a great hobby. Enjoy!