New Member/User, advice please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaVerZ

Hi all! I have just joined RR and would appreciate any help and/or advice if possible.

I have recently purchased the Uniden Bearcat BCT15X and today received the USB Data Cable and Butel ARC XT-Lite Software. Unfortunately, I'm using the supplied antenna until I get some extra cash and some advice on the best antenna to purchase.

Years ago I use to listen on my Uniden Bearcat BC9000XLT (boy the difference between this and my new scanner and ease of use is huge), mainly listening to Police, Fire and Ambulance. In fact, that's all I ever listened too.

A lot has changed and as you all know, you can't listen to those services anymore.

So, basically lost on what I could listen to.y location doesn't help and all Ive managed to find and listen to is the Coastguard (Falmouth, Cornwall) of which is very interesting seeing as they cover such a large area.

So, can someone give me some good ideas on what to tune in and listen to? I am I retested in using software on my PC to decode ACARS and Weather Satellites if possible and anything else interesting along those lines if somebody can suggest but I have no idea what I'm doing....

Is my scanner a good choice and could somebody recommend a good antenna for use with this? I would prefer a loft antenna but I'm not sure how good these would be for VHF...

Many thanks in advance for all your help and I apologise for go on and on but I'm new to all this latest scanning tech.... :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete_uk

Hello from Gloucestershire!

Antenna, a lot of people use something like a Diamond X50 amateur radio dualband antenna which works great for VHF and UHF. Some good quality coax will also help. RG213 is ideal but its thick and can be a pain, so I use some good quality TV coax. You may need to fiddle about with the ends as the 75ohm TV coax won't fit into 50ohm connectors but it works fine for me (I have 2 dipoles in the loft)

As for frequencies, start off here

Spectrum use | Ofcom Spectrum Information System

Its not comprehensive but it will give you things to aim at.

Also put these in http://ofcom.org.uk/static/businessradio/BusinessRadioSimpleUK.pdf

many small sites (shops etc) use the frequencies listed there.

ok, thats a start! hope it helps for now!

ShaVerZ

Many thanks, Pete.

A lot has changed since I last used a scanner, I use to enjoy listening to my local police and mobile phones. If you we're lucky, you were able to pick up someone grassing on another to the Police and then follow up via the Police frequencies on the arrest...

Anyway, am I going to get a good signal with the antenna mentioned if placed in the loft?

Also, with the frequencies given on the link to the OFCOM document, do I need to use the CTCSS options on my scanner, I'm new to all these news features and its confused me a lot... :s

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Blackink

Hello ShaVerZ and welcome to RR. I'm not familiar with your area as I'm from the U.S. but I do own a BCT15X. It's my first ever scanner, a doozy of a scanner, I might add, and I'm quite happy with it.
I didn't have the steep learning curve as some previous scanner users might have because I wasn't familiar with "Banks" or anything like that which was how most older scanners were set up

The stock antenna worked ok for my area, it worked better if I took the scanner outside. I noticed an improvement in distance for picking up frequencies when outside.
I did purchase a ST-2 antenna, one of these~~~~> Antennacraft Scanner Antennas, from Amazon .com.
It comes with 50' of RG6 coax with F connectors on each end, a 300 to 75 ohm transformer (to connect to the antenna end) and a F to BNC adapter (to connect to the back of your scanner).
Now this antenna is quite large and you need at least 8 feet plus to set this up vertically (102" total height) but what a difference this antenna made in the distance in how far away I was picking up frequencies. I mostly listen to frequencies in the 150 MHz - 400 MHz range and this antenna pulls these in fine. You can set the antenna horizontally but I believe it's more efficient if used vertically.
I hear places 70 miles away now and I live in a mountainous area.

I see that you have software but if you want to try something else that's free, try FreeScan, it's what I use and I'm quite happy with it's ease of use and functionality. You'll find that here ~~~~> FreeScan, and on the left side on that Web site, click on "Download" to get to the area to download it.
At the bottom of that "FreeScan Web site, there's some very useful links you should browse through including the "Easier to read scanner manuals", and find the one for your scanner.

For a first time scanner user, I'm quite happy with my scanner, the antenna, and the software I use to upload frequencies into it. I do add frequencies manually now and then and that is easy enough once you read up on how to do it.

This Web site, RadioReference.com, and the forums here, are chocked full of positive info and very helpful people, so feel free to ask for help anytime.

Enjoy the new scanner, enjoy this Web site and once again.....Welcome :)

ShaVerZ

I just wanted to come online to say thanks for all your help thus far, it's very much appreciated.

I've looked at the FreeScan and its downloaded, ready to install. From what I've seen and read, FreeScan seems to be a lot better than the Butel Software I have and this isn't free....

I'll be sure to pop back soon when I need some more help and/or advice. I'm thinking of setting up a live stream, once I'm fully up and running.

Many thanks again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Pete_uk

Be careful what you stream. The authority's tend to be very quick in knocking on your door if you are streaming something other than amateur/CB/marine!

You don't need to use the CTCSS tones as these are mainly used to stop unwanted interference opening the radios squelch. You may find some multi-user repeaters where each user has a different tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.