New member wanting to buy new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
Hi-

Im new to the site, I enjoy listening to shortwave and am. I also enjoy my police scanner, a modest Radio Shack pro desktop model. I am considering buying a handheld scanner.

In my community at this point uses standard non trunking analog transmiissions. I think a trunking scanner might be something I want?? ... I am also concerned about my purchase becoming obsolete if my comunity goes digital (cant afford a digital one now by any means);

So I am wondering what are the odds of this happening?

I was thinking a basic GRE PSR 100 but have considered poneying up for the 310 because of its trunking capabilities. (still analog though). I chose these since they both have weather warning alarms over the cheaper uniden bearcats.

I dont know much of the hobby side of scanners, so I would appreciate any guidance on what I should upgrade to......

thank you.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hi ryradio - welcome to RR. First, and perhaps very germaine to the question you are asking, is where you are (county/state is fine). While some areas are indeed moving toward digital, many rural areas aren't due to the expense.

A question like you're asking - and it's a good one, make no mistake - is best answered by folks in your neck of the woods that are knowledgeable in the systems in your area. To that end, we have numerous forms, by state, where you will likely find the answer to your question. Don't make the mistake of looking at new posts only - we have a wealth of forums that can help you out

best regards..Mike

swann3030

I also recommend viewing the wiki pages on RR for the specific models your interested in. They usually offer a good amount of information on features and benefits of the model.
Another option to find if a scanner is right for you is to join the yahoo group for that scanner if available and ask what others think of it and maybe find someone in your area or an area similar to yours in the group and ask them how it works for them.

welcome and good luck, you will not find a better site than RR for EVERYTHING scanner related.

scannerboy01

Welcome to the Radio Reference forums, ryradio:)
I would say that the PSR-310 is a good radio as long as the county you live in is only trunked analog. If the county is just conventional, you could get the PSR-100. The only thing you would have to worry about, is if the county you live in goes to digital radio. Maybe you should take a look at the forums specific to your state and you could ask if there are any plans to go digital. In my case, I knew that the province I live in is going to a digital radio system in the next few years, so I bought the PSR-500 so I would be prepared for the new system.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tips. Im in Lake County Indiana and wished I knew for sure about their plans for upgrading. I know the state police are on digital so I would imagine the local authorities are not to far behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.