Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and thanks in advance for any help that can be provided. I should explain my situation I have going on here. I am a caregiver for my 76 year old aunt and my cousin who is 54 with spinabifida and another lady with special needs. I love them to death but they like to get into things they don't understand. He had a scanner for years but it just sat there and they both said "It just doesn't work" So for 2 years now he has wanted a new digital scanner so he can sit in bed and listen to the outside world. Apparently he was under the impression that you unbox it and viola it just works.

I know not a single thing about scanners and im even less interested in trying to program them. I love the guy to death but he cant remember his email and password 99% of the time. He cant read and an xbox controller is too complicated for him to play a game on his console so now it just sits there unplugged. Hes had at least 15 facebook accounts but somehow manages to mess up the password and has to make a new account every so often. Im the family IT guy who keeps the network going but i refuse to deal with password problems because ii can not just sit there and try to guess what they tried to use. Trust me when i say i have tried everything.

The family bought him a BCD996P2 and it came today. I spent 2 hours trying to get him to make an account on here and even that became a catastrophe. Like i said i love the guy to death and i want him to enjoy stuff like this but I dont know how to set this thing up, I dont know if and when i get it setup if its going to be fool proof as in i wont have to constantly hover over his bed trying to program and reprogram this thing because he doesnt and wont understand how it works.

I guess im asking if someone can point me in a direction to figure this stuff out. Just the basics so i can get him listening to police and fire and a few other things he may be interested in. Sorry its just frustrating that on top of all the stuff i do i got this thrown in my lap also.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forum! One possibility is for you to set up your own Premium Membership here on RR.com. Using the free program FreeScan, you can program his scanner for him. The 996P2 has the ability to lock the keyboard using the "Key-Safe Mode" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.