New METROLINK repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
I put this here rather than in the RR forum as it would be of no interest outside this area.

I found a self-audio test on 160.500 RR CH 26 for the first time this afternoon (4/20/20). I monitor CH 26 for Fillmore & Western Railway so I was surprised hear this with a strong signal here in Ventura. I ran 160.500 in the FCC data base and here’s what I found.

WREZ877 granted 1/13/20 to Southern California Regional Rail Authority (SCRRA)
160.500 FB 14.000 W Max ERP with xmtr location Oat Mtn Santa Clarita
161.385 MO 5.00 W Max ERP

Comments:
1. The frequency setup is obviously a repeater system, but the base is listed as “FB” which is “Base” where one would expect “FB2", “Mobile Relay”. I’ve seen this in other instances of obvious relay bases.
2. Only 14 Watts ERP?

It will be interesting to see what develops.

As of 1738 they were still testing.

d119

Comments:
1. The frequency setup is obviously a repeater system, but the base is listed as “FB” which is “Base” where one would expect “FB2", “Mobile Relay”. I’ve seen this in other instances of obvious relay bases.

Why do you say it's "obviously a repeater system"? I'm curious what makes you say that. I'll wait for your response before I tell you what is likely going on.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
I put this here rather than in the RR forum as it would be of no interest outside this area.

I found a self-audio test on 160.500 RR CH 26 for the first time this afternoon (4/20/20). I monitor CH 26 for Fillmore & Western Railway so I was surprised hear this with a strong signal here in Ventura. I ran 160.500 in the FCC data base and here’s what I found.

WREZ877 granted 1/13/20 to Southern California Regional Rail Authority (SCRRA)
160.500 FB 14.000 W Max ERP with xmtr location Oat Mtn Santa Clarita
161.385 MO 5.00 W Max ERP

Comments:
2. Only 14 Watts ERP?

It will be interesting to see what develops.

As of 1738 they were still testing.

PBX frequency. Just google railroad PBX for further, or read the below link from the Train Orders website (no account needed).

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Hi oldradiogy2010
I’m in east Ventura, just W of the Saticoy overcrossing, S of 126.

F&W doesn’t offer much to hear. They operate weekends only. I can hear the engines once they get nearly to Santa Paula.

Per their website:
FILLMORE & WESTERN
COVID 19 UPDATE:
ALL TRAIN EXCURSIONS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED THRU MAY 15TH AT THIS TIME

Ok iscanvnc2.
I grew up in Ventura.
My girl friend lives in Fillmore so I go past you all the time.
Anyway, as I write I am scanning the road channel but also 160.5.
A lot of Metrolink trains right now but nothing being heard on 160.5.

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
I also noted a lot of activity on (26)160.500 Thursday afternoon from the West SFV. I was also able to hear a signal just breaking the squelch on (85) 161.385. I've had this pair listed as Metrolink PBX for some time. I heard some sporadic transmissions earlier this seek.

There are a number of listings for WPKL634 (SCRRA) on 160.500 besides WREZ877 mentioned by "iscanvnc2".
John

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
Turned my scanner on late this morning. Hearing random keying of repeater for a few seconds followed by CW ID.
3:03 PM. Back to audio test.

John, you're right about WPKL634 for FB (1 unit) & FBT(emporary) (2 units). The location given for both is given as "Location: Temporary Fixed" and "Transmitter Address /Area of Operation: Statewide: CA ".

WREZ877: New license, new use. Stay tuned.

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
12:00 Noon: Just turned on scanner to ch 26 160.500 to hear FWRR engine loud & clear. Can't hear crewman engineer is talking to. Probably making runs for movie, TV, commercial, etc as that is how they keep going.

12:30 The FWRR traffic lasted about 5 min. Must have returned toward Fillmore. No METROLINK.

I am sure, that FWRR use only HTs for their comms.
I don't believe the radios in the engines are in working order.
Two friends of mine are crew members so I will check with them.
So Larry, you may have heard portable. Units, cool that is good catch from your location.
Well I am getting ready for work, but soon I can sit and veg.
Check in later.

Dana

iscanvnc2

Premium Subscriber
What I heard was definitely the engineer talking to a crewman that I couldn't hear. The engineer signal was strong; it must to have been the engine radio. Portables from anywhere on FWRR, as you said, is unlikely. Had the engineer been on a portable, I should have heard the crewman.
The closest FWRR gets to me is Santa Paula depot, 8 mi.
It will be interesting to hear what your friends have to say.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.