New Mexico DTRS

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Hold times for the sites Default is 0 and TG's at 0. Using Sentinel to program it.
I should really learn to use Sentinel. I really have no idea how to use my SDS100 or Sentinel LOL. Looks neat sounds good but just another toy I don't have time to figure out. Someday

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
Regarding some of the earlier comments:

Audio on the patches to the existing system suck. But then, the existing system audio was never balanced properly, so what do you expect?

The early state implementation was using EFJohnson VM900 dual-band units. They're great radios--I deployed many, many of those radios and the Viking VP900 portables on an Atlas P25 VHF-700-800 trunking system which worked well with Kenwood, EF Johnson, Tait, BK, Harris, and Moto radios. It was a wonderful system without proprietary constraints. Too bad the local vendors lost out here, which may well impact other municipalities ability to participate, not to mention cash flow to the local vendors.

Last edited:

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
The Viking radios are great radios. Some great audio and fair price tags. The Atlas systems I don't know much about but I am sure they are just as good. The city of ABQ just does not care about radio communications and they never really will. They city is all about PAY to PLAY and was made very clear during this deployment. Hope they enjoy that lack of Moto service LOL

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If you guys have an issue with the the purchasing/deploying/managing of this system please take that up with your state/county/local/whatever officials. Let's keep this thread about the technical aspect, new sites, new TG's etc.

No need to reply to this.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Another call for APD officers to return to the convention center to get new speaker microphones. Dispatchers saying they having radio issues again. 3 days in a row.

Sorry KevinC will keep to tech and new TG.

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
Haven’t heard any traffic lately on 11B Simulcast site. Are you guys receiving ok? Everything seems to be on the Crest site last few days.

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
If you guys have an issue with the the purchasing/deploying/managing of this system please take that up with your state/county/local/whatever officials. Let's keep this thread about the technical aspect, new sites, new TG's etc.

No need to reply to this.
Sorry Kevin C. We’ll try and keep it more about the technical and TG info. I have been posting new TG’s as I identify them on here.

ChrisABQ

I'm not sure is there are any simulcast towers activated down near you yet, I would think so if they're switching over. Try Man 8 on the simulcast site and try to reach zero on the decode error meter. If not 8, try 9. Down where you are, I'm sure there will be different settings. I just happen to be a couple of miles down Eubank from the Holly NE (11B) site. Let me know what works.

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
I have my hold times set to zero. West Mesa and Sandia Crest sites the best manual threshold setting from my location is 7. Simulcast I have set at 8 which seems to be good but I am still testing it. I get zero error rates with those settings so far. No longer receiving AFR Alarm dispatch for some reason though. Only on the PV system. As far as the 11B cluster it is coming in loud and clear by me downtown so the City Hall Complex site must be active which is line of site from my location.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Has anyone been able to confirm new tower locations for any of the active/listed sites in the Albuquerque area?

The Simulcast system has four sites, Holly, Marquette, Burton Park, and Guiterrez.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I'm sure there is going to be a site to serve the Chilili area but it doesn't seem online yet.

All the sites are part of the state system. There isn't a site or sites that are only for a specific agency. There is no more city system and county system. A radio can jump onto any site that it wants to and this is based on signal strength.

If a single site is getting almost full on a regular basis or is getting busies, the system engineers have a tool to help solve this. They would perform a site load review to find what TGs are regularly on the site and decide if they really need to use the specific site. If not, they can deny talkgroups per site and this would help reduce site loading. The system was built with a TON of capacity to begin with so we might not see that happen. If all the radios that associate with Sandia are TDMA, it can provide 34 voice paths. This is outstanding!

Here is an example: once public works starts using the P25 system, all of their TGs could be blocked on the Sandia site to free up channels for other users. If a PW radio had a stronger signal from Sandia and tried to associate to the site but wasn't allowed to, the radio would receive a message that says it can't and the radio would then look for the next strongest signal and associate with that site. To the radio user, they would have no idea this action is taking place in the background.

This is why scanner users can't rely on a single site to get ALL of the traffic. Example, if an APD officer asks another officer to meet them on a TAC channel, and both radios are only associated with the simulcast system, the talk group will never show up on any other site. If the scanner user was only listenting to Sandia or West Mesa, they would miss the radio traffic.

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
The Marquette site is the City Hall Complex site that is one closest to me downtown. I am receiving full bars for the simulcast cluster so thinking this site has to be active especially being in the center of downtown Abq.

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
I heard the AFR dispatcher announce this evening that the entire CAD system is going down from 2am to 6am Sunday morning. I bet they are doing the switch over to the new CAD system. We will probably start hearing AFR dispatch again soon.