New Mexico DTRS

beerzkool

Scanning the Pajarito Plateau since 1995.
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I heard a brief transmission today on decimal 001 talkgroup. It said "test, forest service". That was about it. Anybody else heard new "testing" on the 001 decimal talkgroup? This was heard in Los Alamos.

beerzkool

Scanning the Pajarito Plateau since 1995.
Premium Subscriber
Yes, that I know.

I am curious about new agencies being added to the system testing out radios. Those are the transmissions I am interested in. Have you heard any?

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Tons of traffic like that all over the state. Lots of new activity on several different TG in the ABQ area. Most traffic is encrypted. Seems to be the normal these days. But I have heard lots of testing on TG 8 and 9. All in the clear. Also radio techs on TG 1 doing testing and maintenance. Have not been able to pin down different departments testing or trying out the system, but can only guess they must be local to where the system has coverage like around ABQ and Santa Fe. So Maybe city of SF or County, Sandoval or RR, who knows. Just keep monitoring and I am sure we will see more new TG and much more traffic.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
NM national guard should be having talk groups in future on this system.

It will be solid encrypted however for guard once implementation begins for the subscribers.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Tons of traffic like that all over the state. Lots of new activity on several different TG in the ABQ area. Most traffic is encrypted. Seems to be the normal these days. But I have heard lots of testing on TG 8 and 9. All in the clear. Also radio techs on TG 1 doing testing and maintenance. Have not been able to pin down different departments testing or trying out the system, but can only guess they must be local to where the system has coverage like around ABQ and Santa Fe. So Maybe city of SF or County, Sandoval or RR, who knows. Just keep monitoring and I am sure we will see more new TG and much more traffic.

It would be a big jump for Rio rancho, Santa fe county, Sandoval county to join right now after spending the millions on the voting vhf systems some time back.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that I know.

I am curious about new agencies being added to the system testing out radios. Those are the transmissions I am interested in. Have you heard any?
Rio Rancho just dived into a endless ton of APX 4000 vhf 2 knob radios and the apx mobile vhf. Would be a huge double hit to get 8000s or other vendor in 700.

Sandoval county also bit into the apx 4000 vhf line. A lot.

All have mace in them though no cut over time frame in using it.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I should add Rio rancho pd and so should be going p25 on their channels if they haven't yet. Someone might want to take a listen.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I heard a brief transmission today on decimal 001 talkgroup. It said "test, forest service". That was about it. Anybody else heard new "testing" on the 001 decimal talkgroup? This was heard in Los Alamos.
Keep in mind they are also going to have patches from vhf over to the 700 from users so there is possibility you could be hearing this just testing that end out, mainly for SP end of things to monitor or talk to locals as they wanna get away from vhf altogether, even though they have dual banders in the unit now.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
State police? The state mostly owns it sites while utilizing some others.

If others join it will either be leasing off them or mou and or including owning their own hardware. Just depends on the mou, or particular areas circumstance that is worked with state.

The locals own most their own sites, while some with the common known tower sites with catchy names like just example sandia for the site are joint sites due to location and other ps having a good spot. Most sites someone leases room and tower space or has mou for the site to share with another ps agency.

As for the vhf end Rio Rancho and sandoval share some locations for voting repeater coverage since they psap everything.

It is a conventional voting system of digital/analog microwave and lined backups unlike the old auto voting which was 8 channels and the radio would switch like a old pre trunk era. I believe they had it licensed under someone to do the work for those entities in contract unless they licensed the microwave voting end in their own name. Nothing changed per say minus new frequencies or p25 being used if they even went p25 but I believe they were suppose to last I heard.

They slowly rolled out apx4000s around Nov 2019 until recent which was suppose to have new frequencies and use of old and use of p25 in some.

As for testing it out, any ps agency can or request testing. I know the apx8000s which a few Rio Rancho/sandoval top ends had beginning of year per shift in am 700/vhf but nothing was said on it so I'd say it's possible they were testing it and for whatver reason decided for now to stick vhf apx4000s but I've seen crazy things happen with funds in NM so you never know. I havent heard anything on the use of 700 for swat, detectives or anything but I do know some wanted use of the 7/800 interops and ability to monitor APD in future when it moved forward with a phase 2 system since they are literally sister cities. Could be what those mainly were for with supervisors.

I know for SP many still have the xts handheld PACs which relays back over to the vhf or 700 (being dual band bricks in cars now, some having separate like the initial roll out they had 700 and vhf separate bricks but most are using dual banders now) but eventually the pacs that dont have a ucm or mace will be replaced with one with a ucm or mace like the xts 1500s in use thatdidnt have a ucm. There's been a few apx8000s thrown out to sgts, and higher command with the pac channel but I do know some are using the 700 on the portables up north preferring it over the pac and feedback has been given to the techs on issue areas on handheld in the main used 700 areas.

While you could technically hear on uhf the traffic in clear in proper range right now I believe this is slowly being worked on for a later project once other things are complete so the pacs are encrypted. I know on the 700 end right now channel 4 (emergency state wide) is the programmed duress channel and is encrypted on 700 which any duress button pressed the radio defaults to channel 4 and has audio timing for the officer to say whatever he feels he needs to or press and just shoot which would be obvious what is occurring. This lights up every console in the state dispatch statewide. The vhf did same thing. It would ensure anyone close by could send help specially on the fringe of district lines.

ChrisABQ

Thanks for all of that info, was wondering about some of those topics. I have been monitoring the new 700 system and only seeing SP on it at the moment, still waiting for APD and BCSO. I had no idea that RR and SO were going P25, thanks for the heads up.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of that info, was wondering about some of those topics. I have been monitoring the new 700 system and only seeing SP on it at the moment, still waiting for APD and BCSO. I had no idea that RR and SO were going P25, thanks for the heads up.
There is a video floating around on YouTube I ran into today in which the dispatch and unit in that particular channel seems p25 while arresting a APD officer for battery on a household member.

Unsure which channel it is as they have always have 2 to 4 mains for both RR and SC. The definite SDC comms toward end is the p25 channel in booking which was encrypted sometime last year.

We had that channel in our DC radios for transports and back then was hardly used and selective and only transports had it.

Now it is strapped and they changed the keys and dont even allow the field deputies/RR to monitor the SDC operations unless assigned there.

More of a controlled environment type thing and need to know situation operation.

Analog can be used still and what was suggested to use for outsiders to call in on if they needed anything for bringing someone in if its a problem but most is done at the Sally port entrances now and scheduled drops or pick ups leaving the air for internal operations only.

Last edited:

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
It would be a big jump for Rio rancho, Santa fe county, Sandoval county to join right now after spending the millions on the voting vhf systems some time back.

Sandoval system is very old. The county has bond money to replace the last half of county system as well as bond money for new subscribers. They were also given money by the state. After a failed attempt to build a crap moto simulcast for rio Rancho and the county I can confirm from many sources they are moving to the state 700 trunking system along with the ABQ and Bernalillo county. The state will state building out the state system to cover the county. The county will be using all the money the recieved from the passed bonds and the state to purchase new dispatch consoles and subscribers. They will in fact abandon there failed Motorola VHF simulcast and not replace any of the aged voted county system that is over 20 years old. Rio PD did buy some Motorola APX radios and will trade them in when time comes for new 700 subscribers. The county has purchased very little new radios of any kind and lives on Hope's and dreams like always. You will see many other departments across the state start to join after new budget JULY. The state is no longer funding requests where the department does not want to join the state. As for people testing the system that is very true. Lots of departments are testing and trying the system out and seeking funding to join. This next year will be fun to watch and see how much they can build out the system and how many departments join.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
There is a video floating around on YouTube I ran into today in which the dispatch and unit in that particular channel seems p25 while arresting a APD officer for battery on a household member.

Unsure which channel it is as they have always have 2 to 4 mains for both RR and SC. The definite SDC comms toward end is the p25 channel in booking which was encrypted sometime last year.

We had that channel in our DC radios for transports and back then was hardly used and selective and only transports had it.

Now it is strapped and they changed the keys and dont even allow the field deputies/RR to monitor the SDC operations unless assigned there.

More of a controlled environment type thing and need to know situation operation.

Analog can be used still and what was suggested to use for outsiders to call in on if they needed anything for bringing someone in if its a problem but most is done at the Sally port entrances now and scheduled drops or pick ups leaving the air for internal operations only.

I can confirm Sandoval County Jail is P25 with full time encryption. The people who need the ability to talk to the jail have it. The fact is they wanted to keep the scanner and bad guys from monitoring there channel and operations after several escapes and failed escaped attempts. This was an emergency purchase 2 years again after the last escape.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
I am hearing a lot of radio testing today. Testing the radio system coverage all over the place. Tijeras, Corrales, Rio Rancho, Isleta, up US 550. All over the area. Also hearing more Encrypted TG as well. Very busy system today.

ChrisABQ

Has anyone found any other talkgroups as of yet?
Last night, TG139 was shutdown of I40 in the canyon, I don't know if it's NMSP or BCSO
Also, TG140 talking about Brush truck 40.
Confirmed use of P25 Phase 2

CorwinScansNM

Also, TG140 talking about Brush truck 40.
Confirmed use of P25 Phase 2

Speaking of P25 Phase 2 on the New Mexico Department of Public Safety system, there is a little something confusing & strange about this specific Trunked System being a P25 Phase 1 System & or a P25 Phase 2 System? I just switched back to my Uniden BCD996P2 recently & decided to go at programming it last evening through a program called FreeSCAN after hearing of a 10 Acre Grass Fire on Frost & Mountain Valley in the East Mountains & hearing that the Fire Crews fighting it were going to be switching over the 700 Mhz System for Communications on it. I temporarily renewed my RR Premium Subscription just do download & import the NM Department of Public Safety Statewide System directly from RR into FreeSCAN for my ease.
Now the unknown & strange happens upon importing into FreeSCAN from RR this specific NM P25 System that has me wondering P25 Phase 1, P25 Phase 2, or both? After importing into FreeSCAN & looking closer at what was imported directly from RR through into FreeSCAN, it was imported as a P25 Phase 2 System & really threw me for a loop with that. I thought that it was always & has been for quite some time a P25 Phase 1 System which it still appears & looks to be if viewed & looked at on RR in a Web Browser? I proceeded with it being imported from RR into FreeScan as a P25 Phase 2 System even though I was skeptical & was considering changing it manually on my own to P25 Phase 1 which I did not just to see what happened & what I heard if anything.

The end result with this confusion & not totally knowing or trusting that the NM Department of Public Safety is really & truly now on a P25 Phase 2 System: I've so far heard only TG101, TG109 & the newest that ChrisABQ mentioned that I also heard & picked up communications on being TG140 in which my BCD996P2 Scanner searched & picked up while being imported & programmed from RR as a P25 Phase 2 System into FreeSCAN. However, I have to admit that my Scanner is very quiet throughout the day with this NM Statewide Trunked System being programmed as P25 Phase 2 as compared to it being programmed as P25 Phase 1 on my Uniden BCD536HP.

Attachments

• in FreeScan it is appearing to be P25 Phase 2.JPG
    in FreeScan it is appearing to be P25 Phase 2.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 26
  • On RR in Web Browser shows P25 Phase 1.JPG
    On RR in Web Browser shows P25 Phase 1.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 24

ChrisABQ

I use Sentinel for my BCD436HP, this is the radio that I use for scanning the new system, so I can record TG's and comms for extended periods of time. So, the programming is directly downloaded from Sentinel. So as it is in Sentinel is as it is on my scanner. I was surprised to see the Phase 2 also. During both of these incidents, they were definitely TAC channels. On TG139, it may in fact, have been both NMSP and BCSO (East) communicating to shut down the interstate. I researched it a bit and then realized in the lower right portion of the screen on the 436, the entire recording had either PT0 or PT1 showing during the comms. These show as Phase 2 comms.

As I had NMSP on the 700 Mhz system locked out for recording purposes, I turned it on again and TG109 was indeed showing P25 for all comms which is Phase 1.