New Mexico DTRS

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps, though I wonder if an agreement to roam onto the existing DTRS site there might come first..

I believe the existing DTRS site on San Antonio Mountain is owned and operated by the State of Colorado for its statewide DTRS, which is 800 MHz, not 700 MHz.

I don't know whether or not there would be a problem trying to link to it from the New Mexico DTRS.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
If you live in NM and you are smart you will search 769-775 MHz periodically for new control channels.

I live in New Mexico, but I'm not particularly smart . . . I do, however, occasionally run a 700 MHz search from my location in north central New Mexico . Nothing new, so far . . .

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

KE5ZBG

NMSAR
Feed Provider
I believe the existing DTRS site on San Antonio Mountain is owned and operated by the State of Colorado for its statewide DTRS, which is 800 MHz, not 700 MHz.

I don't know whether or not there would be a problem trying to link to it from the New Mexico DTRS.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

Correct, and any modern radio likely supports both 700 and 800. The question would be if both states could come to an agreement to link the systems via ISSI.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Correct, and any modern radio likely supports both 700 and 800. The question would be if both states could come to an agreement to link the systems via ISSI.
Agreements already exist as prior the vhf microwaves were in some places. It is a given a state or county will have sites into another state. Whether it is active or not depends on if a user is there using it or needing it. One example is Texas DPS has sites vhf conv up into Dona Ana, Sierra, Otero, etc. El paso SO has small trunked sites as well which BIA Mescalero has to set tone for their old frequency as the digital bleeding was occurring on their channel which happens to be a lightly used trunked channel for EPSO up north. Rarely does anyone affiliate but it does occur. Agreements are a normal specially when federal funds and grants are used.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
TG 41 Very active with what sounds like a forest mud slide? Sounds like the tech support guy from apple named Fred. Did the forest service move to the state system or is there just something big going on where the state issued a bunch of support radios? Now sounds like a crew buggy crashed and they requesting helicopter to recuse. A lot of San Yesdro dispatch? Very confused as to what is going on and why half the traffic is also in Spanish. Any one else hearing this??? Did I miss something??? Did it flood or mud slide in Jemez???

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
Everyone was told to meet an Angry Mr. Williams at some juice stand and then complete radio silence. What the heck just happened... Mr Williams came in by helicopter and nothing after.... So very very confused. I have no clue what the heck I just listened to

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
TG 41 Very active with what sounds like a forest mud slide? Sounds like the tech support guy from apple named Fred. Did the forest service move to the state system or is there just something big going on where the state issued a bunch of support radios? Now sounds like a crew buggy crashed and they requesting helicopter to recuse. A lot of San Yesdro dispatch? Very confused as to what is going on and why half the traffic is also in Spanish. Any one else hearing this??? Did I miss something??? Did it flood or mud slide in Jemez???

The U.S. Forest Service will not be moving to the New Mexico state system. I would imagine some personnel and vehicles will be equipped with state system radios. What may happen is that the state system will have talkgroups that will patch the U.S. Forest Service to state and local systems. I don't expect that New Mexico State Forestry to move off their VHF system and if they do, they will continue to have VHF High radios in every vehicle. Wildland fire nationwide is going to stay on VHF for the foreseeable future.

I will watch with great interest what New Mexico Game and Fish does. Most natural resources agencies nationwide are on VHF High. When I lived and worked in New Mexico having NMGF on low band was a bit of a problem. They seemed like the only agency that was using low band. The state had a huge number of mountain top sites with remote bases all over the state and the coverage seemed quite good.

Maybe someone has heard some details about the state natural resources agencies (parks, forestry & game and fish) plans using this new state system.

I have no idea what "sounds like the tech support guy from apple named Fred" means since I've never owned an Apple product.

KE5ZBG

NMSAR
Feed Provider
Game and fish seems to be on VHF and 700, and I've heard forest service LEOs on 700 as well.

KE5ZBG

NMSAR
Feed Provider
Perhaps an exercise? There's a San ysido in far west San Miguel county and another in Sandoval county. What site was this on?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Law enforcement for federal has access to most other LE in the state. It is more than likely any fed LE has a all band or dual band anymore. In the past multi 100watt bricks were common in fed LE vehicles that work or patrol with locals.

Latest im hearing is the huge pac issue where users on the uhf pacs will attempt to key up on the 700 and get nothing but bonked resulting in the individual having to revert back to the unit. Hear it is unknown why this issue is occurring and comes and goes for users even in well covered areas bjt in willing to bet it is due to the pacs running csq and mixed mode. This is also occurring on pac channel 2 when the 700 is used on the brick.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Game and fish seems to be on VHF and 700, and I've heard forest service LEOs on 700 as well.
Game and fish are running the same equipment sp is. Only difference is they are also issued a vhf radio or were in past as well as a uhf pac. Though now all band apx is the norm shipping out.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
The U.S. Forest Service will not be moving to the New Mexico state system. I would imagine some personnel and vehicles will be equipped with state system radios. What may happen is that the state system will have talkgroups that will patch the U.S. Forest Service to state and local systems. I don't expect that New Mexico State Forestry to move off their VHF system and if they do, they will continue to have VHF High radios in every vehicle. Wildland fire nationwide is going to stay on VHF for the foreseeable future.

I will watch with great interest what New Mexico Game and Fish does. Most natural resources agencies nationwide are on VHF High. When I lived and worked in New Mexico having NMGF on low band was a bit of a problem. They seemed like the only agency that was using low band. The state had a huge number of mountain top sites with remote bases all over the state and the coverage seemed quite good.

Maybe someone has heard some details about the state natural resources agencies (parks, forestry & game and fish) plans using this new state system.

I have no idea what "sounds like the tech support guy from apple named Fred" means since I've never owned an Apple product.
Game and fish run same as sp un the units, as well as either a vhf portable and a uhf pac portable or a all band apx now.

Nmsp is all band in the units now.

Other entities will inevitably join when money is there per their budgets within the state.

As said before NM is going to be multi band state and will continue to have full use of the vhf, 700 and low band it has when it suits as needed as to the user it is seamless. The vhf microwaves are alive and well.

NMDOT will more then likely be the last to utilize the 700 as they mostly use cell phones in a lot of the districts. There is p25 use on vhf now depending where you're at, as well as analog if its used.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator

Um.... sounded like some type of trianing. Dispatch was reaching individual teams, Santa Cruz and Conojos on TG 40 and 42 and called them their crew channels. Said they were on forest road 333. There was an earth quake and a mud slide.

KE5ZBG

NMSAR
Feed Provider
That would place them near the La Luz trailhead off tramway. Santa Cruz had me thinking of the dam north of Santa Fe.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
NMDOT will more then likely be the last to utilize the 700 as they mostly use cell phones in a lot of the districts. There is p25 use on vhf now depending where you're at, as well as analog if its used.

Did NMDOT historically not use a lot of VHF for communications? Why do they mostly use cell phones in some districts?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Did NMDOT historically not use a lot of VHF for communications? Why do they mostly use cell phones in some districts?
Most the work is scheduled in morning, work orders so everyone knows where what crew is where and there is very skeleton crews at that per district. Though there is rural subs that have cruisers which is known now who skate by all day making it a adventure or sight seeing day unless something comes in from the district head office. Most the use of the radio is during storm events such as plowing or traffic control on simplex car to car off the microwave channel between another or big events where needed or cell use is impossible on the microwave end which isn't common.

Mostly though depending where you are at user preference as this opinion varies between them and how the sub district supervisor feels about it or enforces use or not of the microwave vhf channels, or local repeated if applicable for that district sub station.

There is some who do use it mostly in North.

I know for fact majority of the techs for nmdot lack radio equipment due to budgets or it not being made a priority and some wanting them but it not being made a priority. If they are lucky old supervisor trucks or hand me downs from maintenance end make it to the techs with a radio already and left in though it isn't a common occurrence as they typically get new fleet issued vehicles. Handheld in use are few and simplex mainly for traffic control close range. Most the use is mobiles if used at all.

Have talked with some who are attempting to make this a issue to get it standardized for nmdot. Public works in NM is a for the most part in majority of places a joke or cash cow with its management for public safety monies. A lot of public safety gets money from the public works budgets floated over to them. So is made last priority when it comes to communications.

At one time low band was used heavily back in the day before cell phones. Once cell phones hit your management or requirement of 2 way use went down hill with most public works.

KE5ZBG

NMSAR
Feed Provider
Um.... sounded like some type of trianing. Dispatch was reaching individual teams, Santa Cruz and Conojos on TG 40 and 42 and called them their crew channels. Said they were on forest road 333. There was an earth quake and a mud slide.
This sounds more like forest service. Did anyone manage to catch some RIDs?