New Mile Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgbrengel

Premium Subscriber
FYI just heard from the grapevine, on December 1, 2009 the Tollway should be opening up the construction zones on I94 in Lake County. With this, the Tollway is going to re-number I94 mile posts from the Wis. State Line and the Edens Spur. I294 will retain the current Mile Post markings. The Wis. State Line will be Mile Post 0 and increase as you go south. I guess the mile posts have been backwards for years...

N9JIG

Sheriff
Many of the new markers are already in place but covered up with black plastic awaiting the change. The original Tollway construction predated the Interstate system and the selection of "Point Zero" and thus the direction of mileposting ended up different on Interstates than the Tollways. The Tollways also did not adopt exit numbering until now either.

This should make for some interesting listening as police, fire and other workers try to determine locations after decades of a different system in place. New maps, new CARMA Profiles and response district boundaries are going to have to be drawn up.

Josh

Interesting to make the north border 'Zero'... here in MI, Zero is at the South Border, same with Ohio because crossing the border, exits and mile markers on I-75 go up to 2xx

JT-112

They did add the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 ones as well.

I was wondering why they've all been covered, now I know.

FYI, the best "mile" markers I've seen are in Milwaukee county, they have a marker every tenth. Pretty hard to not be able to give 911 a mile marker... and a better location to boot.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Interesting to make the north border 'Zero'... here in MI, Zero is at the South Border, same with Ohio because crossing the border, exits and mile markers on I-75 go up to 2xx

Actually the WI Line is considered the West end of I-94 in Illinois. Since I-94 is an E-W highway the mileposts are supposed to go up as you drive east.

In Illinois however, I-94 just happens to run more N-S since the bridge across Lake Michigan from Milwaukee proved to be too expensive, so they had to go around the lake to get from Milwaukee to Detroit.

The basic explanation I give to the dozen or more inquiries I get every year thru my Illinois Highways Page website at Illinois Highways Page is that the Tri-State runs North and South but I-94 runs East & West.

Status
Not open for further replies.