New Milw PD Channel Assignments

Status
Not open for further replies.

tencom

I have a relative who is on the Kansas City Mo. Police Force and mentioned that reception problems are common with their analog system. That they sometimes can"t get through to the dispatcher and said that their replacing their old system, She didn"t know much about what type of mode it would be..
There are some advantages to Open-Sky system; one being compatable with Voice, Video, and Text services and not have to use separate channels for each. Another advantage Since it is a IP based system they easily could easily set-up remote transceivers in diffucult reception areas for increased reliabilty
What is the purpose of good law enforcement communications Isn't the purpose is to protect the public
or should it be to provide entertainment and why not use modern technolgy to achieve good law enforcement. and not the attitude of some that openly hopes Open-Sky will fail
If Open-Sky audio quality is so poor, and appears to be widely used, so far the news media has not carried any reports by officers complaining about audio quality..

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE THROUGH TECHNOLGY

rvictor

I have a relative who is on the Kansas City Mo. Police Force and mentioned that reception problems are common with their analog system. That they sometimes can"t get through to the dispatcher and said that their replacing their old system, She didn"t know much about what type of mode it would be..
There are some advantages to Open-Sky system; one being compatable with Voice, Video, and Text services and not have to use separate channels for each. Another advantage Since it is a IP based system they easily could easily set-up remote transceivers in diffucult reception areas for increased reliabilty
What is the purpose of good law enforcement communications Isn't the purpose is to protect the public
or should it be to provide entertainment and why not use modern technolgy to achieve good law enforcement. and not the attitude of some that openly hopes Open-Sky will fail
If Open-Sky audio quality is so poor, and appears to be widely used, so far the news media has not carried any reports by officers complaining about audio quality..

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE THROUGH TECHNOLGY

I'm not sure what the problems in Kansas City have to do with the issue. They may need a new system, but that doesn't mean that it would have to be an OpenSky system to solve whatever problems they may be having.

I'll be sorry to no longer be able to listen to the MPD when they make the switch but will gladly do without if the system truly provides better communications for the officers and firefighters on the street. I'm not convinced from what I've heard so far that the new units have been performing that well as yet. Perhaps that will change as the system is further implemented.

As far as reports in the press from individual officers about problems with the system, I doubt that being quoted in that way would be a great career move for an officer. Publicly criticizing department decisions isn't generally encouraged in most government agencies if you want life on the job to be a pleasant experience.

And what about the problems with digital radios for fire use that I posted earlier in this thread? How is that being addressed in this system?

The implication that unless one supports the OpenSky system one is not supporting one's local police is too ridiculous to merit much comment even if it is in ALL CAPS.

BTW, do you have some stake in the OpenSky system?

Dick

Last edited:

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin

The OpenSky system would have to work correctly before any one could complain about the audio quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.