New mini spectrum analyzer on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5XPM

Like the innovation here. The test equipment you can afford is far more useful than the high end equipment you can’t afford and don’t always need.
Thanks for sharing.

RFI-EMI-GUY

IMSAI Guy has a couple youtube videos on the unit. In one he compares to the SA in an HP8921A.

It apparently has a lot of phase noise and spurs which detract and disturb close in measurements.

I don't think it would be useful at all for measuring modulation.

It may be useful for aiming TV/FM antennas or in a pinch checking a RX multi-coupler ,

For a panadaptor on a RX IF output, an SDR receiver would be better performance.

prcguy

Seems to work fairly well for casual monitoring considering it has a display. And it does other things like a programmable signal generator and its only $50

IMSAI Guy has a couple youtube videos on the unit. In one he compares to the SA in an HP8921A.

It apparently has a lot of phase noise and spurs which detract and disturb close in measurements.

I don't think it would be useful at all for measuring modulation.

It may be useful for aiming TV/FM antennas or in a pinch checking a RX multi-coupler ,

For a panadaptor on a RX IF output, an SDR receiver would be better performance.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Apparently the firmware is being refined. I will be watching this development . Sometimes your worst tool is actually your best tool at the moment.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I picked up a tiny SA last week through Amazon (R&L Electronics was out of stock). It came with the newest firmware. Unlike the Nano VNA, the tiny SA was nicely packaged and the device was in a fully enclosed case. Price was about $80 with various discounts. The package included the SA, USB-C cable, two SMA jumpers, SMA barrel connector and a short SMA telescoping antenna.

Out of the box, the unit requires a level calibration. It will self-calibrate on the low side input, bur needs an external signal source for the high side calibration. I used my Nano VNA for the high side signal (250.00 MHz) (measured the signal level at the low side input, the set that level with the signal fed into the high side input).

Still learning how to navigate the screens and set things up. The video links are helpful and there's a fair amount of info on groups.io. There are a couple of applications to link it via USB with a PC.

I realize this isn't lab or commercial grade equipment, but I expect it to be adequate for hobby-grade radio and equipment testing and it's a nice companion to the Nano VNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.