New MLA-30+ Antenna; What Direction to Point?

Aremel

Premium Subscriber
I am mounting a new MLA-30+ antenna in Cheyenne, WY. First, is there some place that shows the direction to point this type of loop antenna for my area? Second, the diagram for the loop antenna is confusing as to the "null" point, etc... I just want to know which direction that big wire loop should point. Which part of the antenna is the "front", if you know what I mean? I am looking at it like the open circle is the front, like looking at a face. Right now, it's pointing north.

Please note that they suggest rotating the antenna, then checking the reception. This means running outside, turning it a little then running back indoors, down the stairs to the basement, then checking it. Then, running back outside, turning it a little, etc... I don't mind this for fine tuning, but I am looking at trying to get in the ballpark to start with.

Thanx!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
is there some place that shows the direction to point this type of loop antenna for my area?

Right now, it's pointing north.

What direction is the shortwave your interested in listening to?

Please note that they suggest rotating the antenna, then checking the reception. This means running outside, turning it a little then running back indoors, down the stairs to the basement, then checking it. Then, running back outside, turning it a little, etc..
Yeah, I don't do that anymore. I stick a wyze cam facing the the pc screen showing the spectrum and stream it to my phone. Best way to aim an antenna imo.

Blackswan73

Contrary to logic, MLA-30 antenna “fires” off the sides of the loop, not the face. The broadsides of the loop are the null points of the radiation pattern

B.S.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Contrary to logic, MLA-30 antenna “fires” off the sides of the loop, not the face. The broadsides of the loop are the null points of the radiation pattern

B.S.
Or another way to say it is looking through the hole in the loop will be the null or reduced reception. The null should be really sharp and when you get just +/- 5 degrees from broadside the signals will come up quite a bit.

Aremel

Premium Subscriber
Just for grins, let's suppose I am trying to listen to WWV in Boulder, CO. This is generally SSW of me. So, if I understand this correctly, the sides of the antenna should be in line with each other in a SSW direction.

JPowley

I am mounting a new MLA-30+ antenna in Cheyenne, WY. First, is there some place that shows the direction to point this type of loop antenna for my area? Second, the diagram for the loop antenna is confusing as to the "null" point, etc... I just want to know which direction that big wire loop should point. Which part of the antenna is the "front", if you know what I mean? I am looking at it like the open circle is the front, like looking at a face. Right now, it's pointing north.

Please note that they suggest rotating the antenna, then checking the reception. This means running outside, turning it a little then running back indoors, down the stairs to the basement, then checking it. Then, running back outside, turning it a little, etc... I don't mind this for fine tuning, but I am looking at trying to get in the ballpark to start with.

Thanx!
I have my MLA horizontal at 20' high. Seems to work fine. I live about 10 minuets from Buffalo NY. My reception is limited. When I go 80 miles to the south with the same setup I get almost all day reception from WMRI in Florida and Monticello Main

Aremel

Premium Subscriber
I now have two MLA-30+ antennas at 90° to each other with the higher one being at about 35'. They are connected and reception seems to be pretty good now with WWV coming in loud and clear.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm out of the country at the moment and on limited days but 2 points need to be
made. Loops like the MLA30 and many others lose directivity around 2 to 3 Mhz. This is not a fault of the loop. Roughly around here skywave prop takes over and that is something these loops can't handle. Too mount them high and all directivity pretty much goes out the window. Closer to the ground (some suggest no higher than 1 loop diameter others find that 8 foot or so is about as high as you should go. Above that the loop can become more or less omnidirectional. Joe Carrs book on this subject is a good place to start ..Mike in Alberta

mbott

Premium Subscriber
All my shortwave listening is accomplished with either a Pixel RF Pro-1B loop or a Wellbrook ALA-1530LNP NA antenna. Loop rotation for me is a function of trying to null out local qrm and not signal improvement. I don't see significant signal improvement with rotation. I do see significant QRM reduction with rotation.

--
Mike