New mobile antenna install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCOVideo

Portable Install add on.

Here's the portable setup I built tonight and had a start on previously. I going to be primarily used on our camper.

Last edited:

NorthCOVideo

More

Here are some pics of it setup. The antenna I fold laying around, its a simple telescoping metal antenna, I attacked a piece of coax to it and it works a lot better than I ever thought it would.

Last edited:

NorthCOVideo

What is it?
LOL, Its a portable mast I built for camping and other things as I don't get great signal up in the mountains with just a ducky.

I keep building to both this one and the one I put up on my roof last week, PVC is a great building material for some of these things. And ever since I got my new camera it enables me to take more detailed pics and more of them.

Last edited:

af5rn

I know it's a mast, but I mean what kind of antenna is attached to it? Is the antenna just for the 396, or something else?

af5rn

Cool! Height makes all the difference! Is the antenna made for no ground plane? Do you have it DC grounded somehow? I just worry if you are using a mobile antenna that is meant to have a ground plane that you're not going to get good performance.

af5rn

You mean the antenna itself is homemade? I thought you just built the mast setup for a commercially purchased antenna.

Anyhow, whips are -- with few exceptions -- generally made to be either grounded or ground planed in order to perform properly, which is why I ask. But you'll never catch me knocking anything that works! And I'm enjoying the hell out of watching your experiments, so keep it up!

Last edited:

NorthCOVideo

LOL, just building stuff to see if it works, trying not to buy things unless they're a really good price, like the mag mount in the first post. I would really like to build a discone, but its not looking easy.

NorthCOVideo

New mount, still getting ideas.

Here are some pictures of the mount I thought up tonight, with once again stuff I had around the house, didn't spend any money on it.

Oh ya to add, yes its a bit of a mess, need to clean that out one of these days.

Last edited:

af5rn

Status
Not open for further replies.