New mobile install

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcu02mpa

Here is a recent install I just did on my vehicle. The antennas are all done and the radios are almost done. Shown are two motorola A9 control heads; one goes to a VHF mid power spectra, other to a Syntor X9000 lowband 64-channel loaded with 10-meter, six meter, NCSHP and THP (receive only) and other states like MO HP and OK HP that roll in during skip (again all PS freq's are receive only. Scanner is a RS Pro-2051. I also have, but not shown is a Yaesu FT-857D that I use for mobile HF and UHF. I have the X9000 power backed down to about 80 watts. I am still trying to find a new place for the control head on the 857D......it was were the X9000 head was. The X9000 has some amazing receive....down to .20uv on my servicemonitor....across the band.I may add a diplexor and split the signal to 2 antennas, but for now I carry a ten meter antenna and swap (X9000 antenna is an NMO-50) when the band is open. The antennas are all larsen and the mobile HF is a generic version of the outbacker. It does really good on 6-20 meters. All I have to do is change the tap. On 40 I get a small spectrum between about 7150 and 7250......anything else and I have to adjust the whip. I usually stay on 20m so I am not out adjusting. I heard a guy booming in from Greenland yesterday.....never heard Greenland before.

Attachments

• my radios 1.jpg
    my radios 1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,537
  • my radio 2.jpg
    my radio 2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 2,373
  • my radios 3.jpg
    my radios 3.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,326
  • my radios 4.jpg
    my radios 4.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 2,572
  • my radios 5.jpg
    my radios 5.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 2,410
Last edited:

wcu02mpa

Two more pics

Two more shots showing wire looming, speakers and view from driver's seat. The goal was the be able to see all display's, although the sun glare is rough on the X9000.

All motorola programming done by me.

Comment's welcome......Mike

Attachments

• My radios 6.jpg
    My radios 6.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2,294
  • my radios 7.jpg
    my radios 7.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 2,396

BRIANGRAY

Install

Very nice install, I program my Motorola radios also. Currently I have the Radius M1225 and the MTX 1000 portable. Noticed the Mt. Mitchell repeater display, Two meters? I belive there also a six meter repeater on the Mt Mitchell.

wcu02mpa

In one of the pics I have both Mt. Mitchell repeaters selected. The 145.190 and the 53.63 machines. Both really get out good. I will be at Spartanburg hamfest tomorrow if anyone else is going......I will have both Mt. Mitchell machines on as well as 146.52 and 52.525 selected. My call is AF4AY.

B7.....It is a 2001 Chevy blazer. The syntor head's display is more scuffed than my spectra, thus the cloudy look.

N467RX.......Yes it does 50-54. It actually does 29-54 and everywhere in between. The trick is getting the 5.02 software as that allows from to 54. Most other only allow to 53 MHz.......and a computer that was built during the dark ages. I use a Toshiba T5200 for the Syntor and a regular pentium-1 for all others. My syntor will have a clear signal and my scanner won't even break squelch.....the receive is unbelievable.

One more thing to anyone attempting the antenna installs......get an MFJ-259 or 269. I have a 259 as well as a 219B UHF analyzer. These allow one to really dial in the antennas, especially the lowband as it is it is only about 2 MHz bandwith. I have it cut from 52-54, but it goes off the chart on either side of it.

Briangray......I wonder if our paths have crossed. i used to work for Piedmont Comm. down in Wilmington. We took care of repeaters in Englehard and surrounding.

Last edited:

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
Oh cool, I've been thinking about a low band radio, but a Motorola or Orion with a remote head is a much better choice.

And like an IBM T10 or whatever they had way before the T20s for programming.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Nice choice of radios, OP. Can I ask why the 4 "L" brackets and not NMO's on the roof?

One more thing to anyone attempting the antenna installs......get an MFJ-259 or 269. I have a 259 as well as a 219B UHF analyzer. These allow one to really dial in the antennas, especially the lowband as it is it is only about 2 MHz bandwith. I have it cut from 52-54, but it goes off the chart on either side of it.

I couldn't agree more, but what is your 2 MHz bandwidth SWR? I just tuned a new NMO50 install this morning and it's got a 1.7:1 bandwidth from 45.1 through 50.0 MHz. The antenna is on an "L" bracket on a hatchback, so it is a less-than-ideal install, but I was amazed at the freq spread.

N467RX: (tail number?) Get a lowband Syntor X9000 with the appropriate software that was opened up for ham. They truely can not be beat for FM work because they cover 10m FM through 6m FM and everything in between. If you really get serious, get a Larsen NMO27 and NMO50 antenna then phase them and use both on the same radio, at the same time. There is a Motorola how-to on this that has cutting charts for the phasing pieces of coax.

I have a lowband (42-50 MHz) 99 channel MaraTrac that is still stock as the channels I need TX on are between 45-49 MHz, but I am seriously considering a 64 channel X9000 to replace it. My only hold-up is I haven't messed around with X9000's in so long (8k prom swaps, 286 computer etc). Like the OP, I have MSHP programmed into mine as RX only and I will soon be adding THP and NSP because I can :)

Last edited:

wcu02mpa

Video clip of ten meter action today

YouTube - Motorola syntor X9000 10 meter HAM band opening

Six and ten meters were alive and kicking today. I grabbed the blackberry and took a short video clip and decided to show it here. I hate to sound like such a noob but with such a new install and it working so good I had to show it off. The antenna is a maxrad 30MHZ coil with a full length whip that is cut to exactly 29.60. SWR is almost perfect 1:1. I think I am going to have to run a diplexor set up and run split antennas of six and ten meters. Changing the coils was a bit cumbersome. Motorola actually made a cable kit for this and it was just basically some cable and a Tee configuration....pretty basic. I was running a 29.60 QSO with a guy in NE Ohio around 2145 EST. Radio is just friggin amazing!!!!

Stateboy......where can I find the instructions on phasing the antennas? I need to get on that. As far as the shallow bandsplit....not sure...probably due to the L-bracket. If it was a roof mount hole it would probably be better. The L-bracket was actually loose and I tightened it and it got a little better. I am going to run some tooth washers tomorrow and see if it improves. I have a feeing it is a grounding issue.

Last edited:

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I am getting ready to move the Maratrac into the new vehicle, so I am looking forward to hearing MSHP again. I updated the programming to included MSHP, THP, NSP and WVSP. I figure I can gauge band opening directions a little better.

Stateboy......where can I find the instructions on phasing the antennas? I need to get on that.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/antenna/pdf/diplex-low-band-antenna.pdf

As far as the shallow bandsplit....not sure...probably due to the L-bracket. If it was a roof mount hole it would probably be better. The L-bracket was actually loose and I tightened it and it got a little better. I am going to run some tooth washers tomorrow and see if it improves. I have a feeing it is a grounding issue.

No doubt it would improve with a better ground, but with your roof real estate I'd just pop 4 holes in it and not have to worry. The only reason my install was an L bracket and not on the roof with the others is garage clearance issues. I was floored at how widebanded it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.