New Mobile Service Fights Speed Traps

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Technology, ya gotta love it! :cool:

In a modern equivalent of flashing your headlights to warn other motorists of police speed traps, you can now warn fellow drivers with a cell phone or personal digital assistant about speed traps, red-light cameras and other threats to ticket-free driving.

-article-
http://www.physorg.com/news126421076.html

D

DaveNF2G

I'm sure the law will catch up eventually.

Warning other motorists about speed enforcement is prosecuted as obstruction of justice in some areas.

bpckty1

I wonder if Virginia will pass a law making this anti-speed trap illegal, similar to their radar detector ban?

car2back

bpckty1 said:
I wonder if Virginia will pass a law making this anti-speed trap illegal, similar to their radar detector ban?
It will probably just be prosecuted as obstruction, like Dave said.

franka00213

car2back... exactly what i was thinking! sounds like to much to do to warn people of a cop sitting on a corner...(or speed trapping people)

bpckty1

True, but will they confiscate your cell phone or PDA when they write you a citation?

RC54730

GreatLakes said:
Technology, ya gotta love it! :cool:

In a modern equivalent of flashing your headlights to warn other motorists of police speed traps, you can now warn fellow drivers with a cell phone or personal digital assistant about speed traps, red-light cameras and other threats to ticket-free driving.

-article-
http://www.physorg.com/news126421076.html
That's funny, but seriously, just get a CB - $50 at Radio Shack will save you a ton of money in the long run. A CB will help you out a lot more often than a radar detector or laser jammer will...

RC54730

GreatLakes said:
How would you catch them, or enforce any laws against such a scheme?
There's nothing that can be done about it. The whole speed enforcement thing is pretty silly anyway. If they really wanted to ensure people don't speed too much on the highway, they just need to post K-band radar emitters every couple of miles - there are a couple speed-warning signs left over from some construction that was going on (X-band) out by where I live and the damned things spook me every time, LOL.

Anyhow, they ought to just raise the national speed limit to 85MPH and be done with it. The 55MPH speed limit is like the Alternative Minimum Tax - it might have served some feel-good purpose at the time, but it's way past making sense, especially considering the performance parameters of modern cars...

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
RC54730 said:
The 55MPH speed limit is like the Alternative Minimum Tax - it might have served some feel-good purpose at the time, but it's way past making sense, especially considering the performance parameters of modern cars...
That's probably why they got rid of it 13 years ago.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"I'm sure the law will catch up eventually."

New Jersey is way ahead of you buddy.

"Wouldn't be easier and cheaper just to not break the law?"

Common sense rears it's ugly head and spoils the party. (;->)

"How would you catch them, or enforce any laws against such a scheme?"

Your answer is forthcoming.

"There's nothing that can be done about it."

That's what you think, now fork over the dough.

"The developer of Trapster, Pete Tenereillo, said the system, which requires punching in a few keys such as "pound-1" to submit information to Trapster's database, should comply with laws banning talking on cell phones."

Nope, that's exactly what will get you busted. NJ isn't the only state that's amended the anti cell phone law. Although aimed at texting which encompasses entering data with a keypad Clueless Pete, operation of any mobile wireless device with the exception of Amateur Radio while a vehicle is in motion is illegal.

I was the first to raise the question and make silly "Cop vs. Cop" comments of my own so save your typing fingers.
Prohias lives!

mastr

A federal requirement for electronic speed limiting in new vehicles could address the interstate speeding issue nicely. With the addition of on-board GPS, it would be relatively easy to have the limiter adjust to the desired speed in a given area. Some rental car companies already bill customers for speeding based on GPS readings.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
RC54730 said:
That's funny, but seriously, just get a CB - $50 at Radio Shack will save you a ton of money in the long run. A CB will help you out a lot more often than a radar detector or laser jammer will...
I normally don't speed, except when going to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, it's a divided highway, in the middle of nowhere, I'll sometimes do 5-10 over. They seem to tolerate that as long as you don't go faster than 10 over.

I just thought the article was interesting that there is such an effort being made.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
car2back said:
Wouldn't be easier and cheaper just to not break the law? :confused:

This from a guy who doesn't have to worry about such things when he drives :D Must be nice :wink:

RC54730

GreatLakes said:
I normally don't speed, except when going to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, it's a divided highway, in the middle of nowhere, I'll sometimes do 5-10 over. They seem to tolerate that as long as you don't go faster than 10 over.

I just thought the article was interesting that there is such an effort being made.
Yeah, it depends on where you live. In NY, you can go about 80-85 most days and not have too much to worry about (safety in numbers). I moved to the midwest though and there's just not enough traffic on the interstate so you do stand out a bit if you're really moving. The CB is a big help out here - truckers are your friends.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
"...(Skyhook sends trucks up and down streets to scan for home wireless routers or commercial hotspots and record the unique identifying code and location of each.)"

Um what?

BoxAlarm187

bpckty1 said:
We generally find the people that fuss about this the most are the ones who don't live here. :D

bpckty1

Yep. When travelling with the detector in most other states, we get this "friendly", "welcome to Virginia, please surrender your radar detector, enjoy your stay," greeting from the State Police.

;^>

Of coures, some jurisdictions in NY state will take your scanner away from you and fine you enough so your next vacations will be in your back yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.