New Models Leaving out Citizens Band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
In looking at the new WS1065 and WS1040 models, it looks like Whistler has lobbed off the CB band. GRE had those frequencies on their products, and I'm wondering what benefit they would gain from taking them out.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
CB monitoring with a scanner is at the fringe of our fringe hobby. When you can get a decent CB for $100.00 or less, its much better to do so. And monitoring CB with an top end scanner that is primarily an trunking, digital capable, multi-system monster is actually wasting capabilities. If you absolutely must use scanner for CB, then there are a lot of older scanners out there for very low prices that can do CB freqs. For example, the PRO-83 was a monster at sucking in CB! The PRO-96 isn't half bad at CB, the PRO-97's were also very good at CB. But nothing beats a dedicated CB HT, or Mobile... And you can talk to the interesting characters with an actual CB! And its just such a joy to listen to "Sesame Street" on an dedicated CB with an dedicated Antenna! :twisted:

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
CB monitoring with a scanner is at the fringe of our fringe hobby. When you can get a decent CB for $100.00 or less, its much better to do so. And monitoring CB with an top end scanner that is primarily an trunking, digital capable, multi-system monster is actually wasting capabilities. If you absolutely must use scanner for CB, then there are a lot of older scanners out there for very low prices that can do CB freqs. For example, the PRO-83 was a monster at sucking in CB! The PRO-96 isn't half bad at CB, the PRO-97's were also very good at CB. But nothing beats a dedicated CB HT, or Mobile... And you can talk to the interesting characters with an actual CB! And its just such a joy to listen to "Sesame Street" on an dedicated CB with an dedicated Antenna! :twisted:

I guess my question was more from a technical stand point, and not from the stand point on why someone wants to listen to CB. Honestly, I liked having the ability to listen to air, gmrs, and cb once in a while on my psr-500 (which I no longer have).

n5ims

In looking at the new WS1065 and WS1040 models, it looks like Whistler has lobbed off the CB band. GRE had those frequencies on their products, and I'm wondering what benefit they would gain from taking them out.

Could be more that the demand for CB on the scanner is so small it isn't worth listing it on the flyers and web sites. I suspect that it's still there, just not being highlighted as a feature.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Whistler should be expanding the frequency range - not lopping parts of it off because of some misguided belief that the missing frequencies aren't important. At least Uniden has the sense to include a wider frequency coverage athough their idiotic decision to cripple the MIlAir band with the BC-125AT is puzzling.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Could be more that the demand for CB on the scanner is so small it isn't worth listing it on the flyers and web sites. I suspect that it's still there, just not being highlighted as a feature.

I'm actually going of the frequency list specs. That band is now cut off, the GRE radios had it listed.

I'm no expert but I don't think the CB band is just one part on a board. It may make sense that they can tune the radio better by leaving off a portion of the 27 Mhz band.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hopefully they will leave out the CB portion and improve the AM Airband because the GRE PSR 600 was horrible when it came to the airband frequencies receive.

But I did love the P25 digital decode which is the best out there. GRE did have that all figured out for sure.

I guess its a give and take situation

SCPD

QRT
GRE

my 800 sucks at CB.

I have to almost be on top of the CB unit (mobile) in order to hear anything......I

yours is broken or the attenuator is on,mine works better than any uniden scanner i own on CB .
Love the PSR-800!

Mine is also great on Aircraft,I am using the stock antenna and its close to my r20 and Yupiteru,then again what stock antenna doesnt suck?
My one gripe is noise from my security camera system on 121.5 but thats not the scanner's fault....

SCPD

QRT
booboo

Thats ok can you spot the booboo in the frequency range of a ham band? 216-225MHZ maybe?

Last edited:

CVASSB

CB is a group of frequencies that you can scan. To remove the CB scan would lessen the options. A lot of scanners in the 90's didn't include the CB scan. I thought that it was a step up when we at least had the option to scan CB.

We can scan GMRS,FRS,and MURS. I think that CB should be included.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Are you saying they left out 26.965-27.405 MHz specifically, or have they dropped 25-28 MHz entirely from the frequency coverage capabilities? Or have they removed the CB Service Search? Or what? Can you link to what you're looking at specifically?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I am thinking actually that there is typo misprints all over the current data listings for the Whistlers... I think that we will not know what is fully in them til right at full sales opening when the final proofreads and what goes on the scanner back panels is seen.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I am thinking actually that there is typo misprints all over the current data listings for the Whistlers... I think that we will not know what is fully in them til right at full sales opening when the final proofreads and what goes on the scanner back panels is seen.

I think you can find exactly what's in these radios by looking at the box for the GRE PSR-500/600, etc. They're only those radios dressed up in different colored housings - period.

SCPD

QRT
wonder

Wonder if they perfected the Phase 2 decode on the new Whisters or if the GRE's will take the Whistler firmwares.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Are you saying they left out 26.965-27.405 MHz specifically, or have they dropped 25-28 MHz entirely from the frequency coverage capabilities? Or have they removed the CB Service Search? Or what? Can you link to what you're looking at specifically?

Like k2rty listed above (top bands cut off in pic), these are the frequency ranges shown for the WS1065; they don't list anything under 29Mhz. I'm not sure if they left off the CB Service Search too, as I couldn't find that info on their product page.

It could be simply a typo. We'll see in time.

Attachments

• whistler.jpg
    whistler.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 698

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
I think you can find exactly what's in these radios by looking at the box for the GRE PSR-500/600, etc. They're only those radios dressed up in different colored housings - period.

Does anyone know for sure that no improvements/downgrades were made to those radios?

SCPD

QRT
Whistler

WS1010/1025 model will not tune CB.
WS1040/1065 and the WS1080/1095 will! < PSR500 and 600 clone >

This is from Whistler and the PSR 800 and its base friend will be out second half of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.