New Modern Scanner User

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairlane68

Hello all,

I'm Robert, I own a wrecker service and custom auto repair shop in Lawton, OK. I just purchased a Whistler 1040 handheld scanner to use in the office and in the wrecker, and I've realized there's more to scanning than what it used to be. I had to send the scanner back due to a defective display, but that gives me a day or two to get more familiar with the software side. I bought it just to monitor first responder traffic for our area. I don't know the terminology, but I'll catch on eventually. I don't have any questions yet, but that'll probably change in the next...10 minutes.

Thanks.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012

N8IAA

Welcome to RadioReference. Your county page is on the link below. It shows as a P25 Phase 2 system which the 1040 can not receive.

OKWIN -- Oklahoma Wireless Interoperability Network Trunking System, Various, Oklahoma - Scanner Frequencies

If Phase 2 is in indeed in use you will need a Phase 2 capable scanner. See the link below.

APCO Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

I recommend the Uniden BCD436HP.

BCD436HP - The RadioReference Wiki
I haven't posted in these forums for five months, but I feel I have to when wrong information is given.
The OKWIN system is Motorola TYPE II. Not a P-25 Phase II system. The OP's 1040 will work quite well for his listening needs. One needs to do due diligence when giving a new member help.
I truly wish that posters on RR would stop pushing the x36HP scanners,as there are other radios available to monitor Phase II and additional digital modes. This is not the RR/Uniden website. Although it sure seems like it reading all of the daily posts.
Larry

marksmith

Good catch. Quite a difference between phase 2 and smart zone II.

The 1040 will monitor that system just fine.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Nasby

I personally don't even like to comment on systems I know nothing about (other than looking in the database).

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I haven't posted in these forums for five months, but I feel I have to when wrong information is given.
The OKWIN system is Motorola TYPE II. Not a P-25 Phase II system. The OP's 1040 will work quite well for his listening needs. One needs to do due diligence when giving a new member help.
I truly wish that posters on RR would stop pushing the x36HP scanners,as there are other radios available to monitor Phase II and additional digital modes. This is not the RR/Uniden website. Although it sure seems like it reading all of the daily posts.
Larry
That's why I said "IF". I was going by what apparently is listed incorrectly in the database, same as anyone else would have done.

I see why people prefer to help others through PMs and email to avoid the critics.

marksmith

The link you posted from the database shows the system as a Motorola system, not the P25 system you mentioned.

Are you saying the database showing the system as a Motorola system, and not a Phase 2 system is incorrect?

Looks correct to me.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Status
Not open for further replies.