New Moto System 5735

Status
Not open for further replies.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I recently did one of my "searching thru the bands", looking for Moto Trunk Sytems, and I got a new (to me) one in the Valley.

System ID 5735
935.9625-cc

Just started listening, so no further input at this time.

And this time I did check out KD7RTO's site before posting.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Ya cast a big enough net, often enough, and you eventually get lucky. I caught this one from inside at work with a Radio Shack 800 Mhz ducky. Not bad. I did cheat, and ID it from the FCC Freq look-up site.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I checked your site before I posted the first message. How did I miss that page? I gotta start looking closer when I do my research.

kd7rto

You missed it because I checked the frequencies, did not hear it, assumed it had been taken off the air, and deleted it from my main list. I appreciate the updated info.

It puzzles me why I could hear it from Murray, but cannot hear it in Bountiful. I believe it is the further to the south than the other refineries, and to the east of the freeway. Could Ensign Peak be getting in the way?

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I fiirst got it near the Airport. Maybe there is a bit of Directivity to to their antennas.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Is the Transmitter in Orem?

It puzzles me why I could hear it from Murray, but cannot hear it in Bountiful. I believe it is the further to the south than the other refineries, and to the east of the freeway. Could Ensign Peak be getting in the way?
I don't know if this will shed any light on the subject, but I did a name search for "Tesoro Refining" through the FCC Universal Licensing System and came up with 10 call signs. Eight of those call signs are located in The People's Republick of Kalifornya. The other two are licensed in Utah.

The two in Utah (KBJ298 and KNIH491) are licensed to Tesoro at 474 West 900 North in SLC. In the ULS it gives a GPS on both call signs as 40-47-29.8 N 111-54-02.8 W. By entering those coordinates into Google Maps it points to an intersection at 800 West Center St. in Orem.

Could the transmitter be located in Orem? That certainly could explain why kd7rto might not be able to copy them from Bountiful. (By the way, a street-level view of that area does not readily show any towers that could be a transmitter, which is really not surprising.) Maybe one of our Utah County members could wonder past that area and see what they can find. Could be interesting.

EDIT: What puzzles me now is why would they put a transmitter in Orem when their operations are obviously in North Salt Lake County, Woods Cross, or Centerville? I thought that Tesoro bought out Phillips at the far north end (Centerville) or was it Chevron just south of the I-215/I-15 junction on the north end of the SL valley?

Last edited:

qlajlu

Silent Key
In doing more checking on the ULS, call sign KBJ198 is licensed for fixed and mobile frequencies of 153.1700 and 153.3050. Call sign KNIH491 has licenses for a 6.1 meter control station (Sorry, but I do not know what that is. Perhaps gldavis and/or kd7rto could enlighten me.), stationary frequencies 451.4250 and 451.7000, and mobile frequencies 451.4250, 451.7000, 456.4250, and 456.7000.

These frequencies are not the ones gldavis posted in the first post of this thread. So...are we back to square one? ...or what?

qlajlu

Silent Key
Never Say Die!!!!

I found it! Again, using ULS I ran a search on frequency 935.9625 which gldavis indicated as the control channel. This led me to 11 pages of companies and call signs, 10 to the page, using this frequency. On page 6, I FOUND TESORO! WHOOPIE! :eek: :D :lol:

This frequency is licensed under call sign WPKQ662 and all the frequencies that gldavis shows in his first post are there with it. Now, for the kicker. It ALSO shows that same GPS location (40-47-29.8 N 111-54-02.8 W which is in Orem) as the location of the transmitter, although it lists 551 West 900 North, SLC as the licensee/contact address which is slightly different than what I gave above.

If this Orem location IS the location of the transmitter, it really would explain why kd7rto can't hear it around the corner in Bountiful.

EDIT: Okay, okay, I feel a little foolish. I looked at kd7rto's Web site and see that he already had the call sign listed. Well, of course he did. He has been at this business for a lot longer than I have and wouldn't make that kind of rookie mistake, but in spite of looking foolish, I did learn some things today and I have you guys to thank for that.

So now I still have to wonder if the GPS location of that transmitter is correct or if I screwed up when I entered it in Google Maps.

Last edited:

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
In doing more checking on the ULS, call sign KBJ198 is licensed for fixed and mobile frequencies of 153.1700 and 153.3050. Call sign KNIH491 has licenses for a 6.1 meter control station (Sorry, but I do not know what that is. Perhaps gldavis and/or kd7rto could enlighten me.), stationary frequencies 451.4250 and 451.7000, and mobile frequencies 451.4250, 451.7000, 456.4250, and 456.7000.

451.425 will be the base repeater output freq, with 456.425 being the mobile input freq. Same for the .700 pair.
Of all these freqs, I only show 451.425 in use around here, with a subtone of D261. I've heard comms on it including reference to a "Gold Auditorium, and a construction site". According to KD7RTO's site, this freq is part of McIntosh Comms LTR system. I've just started getting into ID'ing some of the LTR systems in the valley, with a lot of help from KD7RTO's web pages.

As for the control station, I would ASSUME that it is the control link for the Radio Techs/office personnel to use to turn the transmitters off if something goes wrong.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Oaky, entered the following (40-47-29.8 N 111-54-02.8 W.) in Google Earth on my computer, and it dropped me just south of the Highway 89 and Victory Road intersection in the northern part of Salt Lake City. Right across the street from the refinery.

Brent, are you using the decimal place? 29.8 and 02.8? The bottom left of the Google Earth screen will show the Lat/Long of where the pointer is. I'm not sure why your not getting the same location as I am.

qlajlu

Silent Key
I put "40 47.298 - 111 54.028" (without the quotes) into Google Maps and it puts the pointer at approximately 900 North Beck Street. I do not see the Lat/Long on my map at all.

Actually, that puts it right close to the address listed in the license of 551 West 900 North. I don't know how I got Orem. And I thought I was being so smart. HA! :mad:

Why don't I see the Lat/Long like Gary does?

I tried that Web site, AntennaSearch.com, and never got an answer from their server. After 10 minutes I figured I wasn't going to get one either.

Last edited:

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
The Google Earth on both my computers has the Lat/Longb at the very bottom left of the map screen. I don't remember turning it on. It came up that way.

Antennasearch.com seems to be running slow today. Must be sunspots :)

qlajlu

Silent Key
I am using Google Maps rather than Google Earth, does that make a difference?

Last edited:

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I think it would. I like Google Earth 'cause it is the Satellite views from space. It takesd awhile to open and use, but the views are really neat.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Okay, I finally was able to get AntennaSearch.com to answer me and the attachment shows the location of the Tesoro antenna we have been searching for. It is precisely where we were talking about in the last few posts. You will notice the call sign WPKQ662 shows in the lower left corner of the attachment, confirming that this is the proper antenna.

You may have to click on the attachment a second time and then expand it to be able to see the printing at the bottom. At least that is what I need to do.

Because of the antenna's location, I can understand why kd7rto cannot copy that system from Bountiful.

Attachments

• Tesoro WPKQ662.jpg
    Tesoro WPKQ662.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I really do not think that is the actual physical location of the antenna. As I remember, that building is someone else not associated with the refinery. I'll have to take a drive-by this weekend and see I can "lay eyes" on the antenna. I'll take close-call with me and see what is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.