New MOTOTRBO Feed submitted.... decoding and streaming online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackiefan2004

radioman,

The system gives you a realtime view of the data being decoded, including which slot is being utilized. I am not sure of color codes, but I could look into it.

Last edited:

Thayne

So you're encouraging him to profit off someone else's hard work (The DSD author)? Nice advice Rob, even if tongue in cheek. :p.

I'm also sure Rob had his tongue firmly in cheek, but it does seem to be the "American way" to get ahead nowadays---Desperate times do lead to desperate measures.

Of course China has been doing it to us for decades.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Tongue is not in cheek at all. I make a good chunk of extra cash selling "free" software. The software remains free - you are just paying for my time so that instead of installing Linux, compiling the software, fixing the makefile bugs, configuring the data ingest routines, and developing a time-based script - you just pop in my DVD and hit "run".

This software is open source, and if you go to the DSD page it welcomes you to use it commercially.

mackiefan2004

Tongue is not in cheek at all. I make a good chunk of extra cash selling "free" software. The software remains free - you are just paying for my time so that instead of installing Linux, compiling the software, fixing the makefile bugs, configuring the data ingest routines, and developing a time-based script - you just pop in my DVD and hit "run".

This software is open source, and if you go to the DSD page it welcomes you to use it commercially.

Well put :)

richtidd

Database Admin
Bad news - Below is quoted from an email from RR's feed admin:

"As I said, those are examples of what we do not allow.

We have another list we go by as well and we can disapprove any feed application that we think would not be of interest to others or that we do not want to host etc.

Sorry, but we do not approve feeds for what you listed."

Sorry guys, but i guess that MOTOTRBO isn't "interesting" enough.

As I said in your other posting, you listed these as to what you wanted to feed:
Towing companies, Security companies, Rental units, etc.

As I said, we do not approve these type of feeds.
These are commercial feeds and we do Public Safety, Amateur Radio Marine, Rail and other like Public Works, Local Gov.

mackiefan2004

As I said in your other posting, you listed these as to what you wanted to feed:
Towing companies, Security companies, Rental units, etc.

As I said, we do not approve these type of feeds.
These are commercial feeds and we do Public Safety, Amateur Radio Marine, Rail and other like Public Works, Local Gov.

I don't have any control over what entities buy into MotoTRBO..... so..... yeah.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Please dont take this the wrong way, but it seems the way you have advertised (creating 3 threads in 3 different places) this feed before every being approved, that you were just wanting to put this feed up just to make known you have a MotoTRBO feed without every taking in to account our policy.

We just dont see these type of agencies as something listeners want to listen too (of course some wont mind but we are looking at the overall majority).

We certainly say thanks though for considering to feed. If you ever want to feed a public safety, or other allowed feed type than we will certainly be happy to add it:).

Last edited:

mackiefan2004

This situation falls into multiple categories.

And by the way, I have provided public safety feeds in the past - however there are SO MANY redundant ones for Hennepin County, it is pointless to put up yet another one.

Last edited:

richtidd

Database Admin

And by the way, I have provided public safety feeds in the past - however there are SO MANY redundant ones for Hennepin County, it is pointless to put up yet another one.

Also, no one, as of this posting, has been able to provide a reason why the feed wouldn't be allowed anyways - it doesn't violate any terms listed on the terms of use.

Since you do not get it, I will make this simple: we do not want these type of feeds (from your list - Towing companies, Security companies, Rental units, etc.)

They are of little if any value to listen to.
A waist of resources to provide these type of feeds.

You are welcome to provide feeds for:

• Aircraft/Aviation
  • Amateur Radio
  • Public Safety (Police, Fire, EMS etc)
  • Rail
  • Marine
These are feeds we approve.

Over & above the TOS, we can reject any feed that does not meet what we think we want to host.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin

Well as long as its a different combination of agencies than its different. There might be a feed for Home County Police and another for Home County Police and Fire but they are different. As long as there is not 2 feeds for Home County Police. Some listeners might want to hear both agencies on the same feed.

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,
Just wanted to let you know I have put a new feed online of some MotoTRBO digital trunked systems in and around Minneapolis, MN.

ANCOM MOTOTRBO MN Scanner Feed on USTREAM: .

Cheers!

I for one would like to thank you for making the stream available via USTREAM. Sounds great! :cool: Keep up the good work!

Actually, I find it rather entertaining compared to some of the routine traffic.:wink:

Last edited:

talkpair

I hope you don't go away feeling that your efforts have been a waste of time.

There are probably more than just a few of us here that will be faced with the decision of either buying radios capable of digital, quitting the hobby, or experimenting with the DSD package, as you have.

I was really surprised at the audio quality of the stream, and would be interested to hear a comparison between a digital scanner's audio and the audio from the DSD package......when monitoring a P25 public safety channel.

I would also be interested in knowing what kind of radio, the connection point, and how you're interfacing to the computer.

Perhaps instead of providing a full time stream somewhere, you could post some small audio samples for people to listen to, so that they can decide if they might want to tackle a home brew solution.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I think the biggest point missed here is that a stream is a stream, and the end user on the other end of a computer hears audio as audio. There may be slight differences in the audio quality, but with any type of streaming, the variables of the internet apply, and whether it's analog, P25, Pro-Voice, EDACS, Open-Sky, NXDN or MotoTRBO, the end user is going to hear something intelligible as long as the stream provider is decoding the signal.

I think the above poster made a good point. A few audio clips to demonstrate how well the software works would be much more productive than repeatedly lauding the fact that it's a TRBO system that you are decoding in an effort to get the feed approved. Would you have submitted this company(ies) for a feed if they were on an analog system?

WX0BPR

True

Also I don't plan on profiting on someone else's work... just sharing the wonders of technology. But some people don't understand the spirit of pioneering. Oh well.

Say, If anyone else is interested in hosting the MOTOTRBO stream, let me know.

Personally I have checked it out and I agree with your "pioneering spirit" and have the interest in learning how to do it.... just because then I can say.... I can. Personally it gives me a headache to listen to them LOL, and its not my scanning cup of tea so to speak, but like the effort you put forward in sharing. And others may very well enjoy listening to it... So i guess I am saying, thanks for the effort and keep on keeping on, its your game if RR doesn't want it find someone who will>>

mackiefan2004

Thanks for all the support. I plan on doing a write-up on how I constructed the system sometime in the near future on my website, KD0ITR.com . So stay tuned. :) Also, P25 audio sounds very good using DSD.

Blindman

Premium Subscriber
very interesting read, I'm assuming here that its ok to stream the cops but not a towing/cab/trucking company? I'd have to say that most of the people using these systems did so out of cost/coverage considerations, so 'secure' comms wouldnt be the real issue.
strange days. I recently came across a trbo system in my town (zip 12901), though Im not interested in streaming it, I am interested in decoding for my own listening, so any 'out of the box' setups I would gladly pay a reasonable fee for.

SCPD

QRT
Tow trucks. It's pretty clear that's not the area RR is interested in streaming. They don't care how the radio itself works, they have old Motorola digital systems (pre-P25) running.

Not that I'm a business-man ;) but if I were you - I'd market that. I would take requests from people who want a package "in a box" and sell a radio/netbook (or whatever) combined and ready to run. Jack the price up 25-50% from your costs and make some money doing it.

Maybe even let Peter or DonS get involved on any software/program writing with a possible RR endorsement as a complete RR in-house achievement .....

While it may not fit the audio streaming criteria on Radio Reference, it is a milestone in scanning and should not be ignored, but pursued and perfected. You might re-create this in an appropriate forum thread and continue to work on this venture.

Last edited:

rma0100

Mototrbo ready scanners now available

Go to ebay and look up MOTOTRBO READY SCANNERS. It,s now available from a company in TN. The modified scanner is available and all other software and computers with LINUX are available elsewhere. You do not need programming info such as color etc. The software does it all.. MOTOTRBO IS NOT ONLY COMMERCIAL. Police, Fire, and EMS are using it and it,s spreading. Overton County SD and EMS are using it full time. Putnam County is testing on 155.04. It,s here to stay. mOTOROLA IS PUSHING IT HARD.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Go to ebay and look up MOTOTRBO READY SCANNERS. It,s now available from a company in TN. The modified scanner is available and all other software and computers with LINUX are available elsewhere. You do not need programming info such as color etc. The software does it all.. MOTOTRBO IS NOT ONLY COMMERCIAL. Police, Fire, and EMS are using it and it,s spreading. Overton County SD and EMS are using it full time. Putnam County is testing on 155.04. It,s here to stay. mOTOROLA IS PUSHING IT HARD.

There was only one auction that I saw when I put in the search term. The only thing this person did was install a discriminator tap....you still have to get a Linux machine, download the software and do everything else associated with it. The correct term would be MotoTRBO Capable Scanner, as this is not ready out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.