New MOTOTRBO Feed submitted.... decoding and streaming online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackiefan2004

Bad news - Below is quoted from an email from RR's feed admin:

"As I said, those are examples of what we do not allow.

We have another list we go by as well and we can disapprove any feed application that we think would not be of interest to others or that we do not want to host etc.

Sorry, but we do not approve feeds for what you listed."

Sorry guys, but i guess that MOTOTRBO isn't "interesting" enough.

mackiefan2004

Considering this was my email initially sent into the admin:

"This feed is going to be scanning local (MN) MOTOTRBO Digital Radio Systems, mostly commercial. (e.g. - Towing companies, Security companies, Rental units, etc.)

MOTOTRBO is a newer digital communications format from Motorola that no scanner on the market currently can decode out-of-the-box."

So you tell me.... I assume both.

DickH

... MOTOTRBO is a newer digital communications format from Motorola that no scanner on the market currently can decode out-of-the-box."

That raises the questions:
1 - What are you monitoring it with?
2 - How much does it cost?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
What is it exactly that's not of interest, TRBO audio or tow trucks?

Tow trucks. It's pretty clear that's not the area RR is interested in streaming. They don't care how the radio itself works, they have old Motorola digital systems (pre-P25) running.

Not that I'm a business-man ;) but if I were you - I'd market that. I would take requests from people who want a package "in a box" and sell a radio/netbook (or whatever) combined and ready to run. Jack the price up 25-50% from your costs and make some money doing it.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Not that I'm a business-man ;) but if I were you - I'd market that. I would take requests from people who want a package "in a box" and sell a radio/netbook (or whatever) combined and ready to run. Jack the price up 25-50% from your costs and make some money doing it.
So you're encouraging him to profit off someone else's hard work (The DSD author)? Nice advice Rob, even if tongue in cheek. :p.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand why this feed is not allowed. Here is the terms of service:

Feed Providers are not allowed to broadcast:

* SWAT "type" operations if on dedicated channels or talkgroups
* Narcotics / CID / Investigations or other tactical operations
* Dedicated channels or talkgroups for Ambulance to Hospital Communications
* Dedicated Federal Government or Military Communications (exceptions include any fire fighting operations, space shuttle communications, park ranger operations)
* Any commercial service broadcast (FM/AM/TV etc)
* Music or talk show of any kind (commercial or non-commercial)
* DJ or other type of similar activity (commercial or non-commercial)
* Open Microphones

Just wondering what item above covers the business service that the feed broadcasts.

thanks!

brandon

Database Admin
I don't understand why this feed is not allowed. Here is the terms of service:

Feed Providers are not allowed to broadcast:
<snip>
* Any commercial service broadcast (FM/AM/TV etc)
</snip>

Just wondering what item above covers the business service that the feed broadcasts.

I'm guessing it's that. Tow trucks, security companies, buses, etc. are likely to fall under commercial service FM comms.

mackiefan2004

I don't see anything in that list pertaining to my application either.

ALSO - that list item is for BROADCAST.... aka 101.3 KDWB, etc.

Besides, I don't have any control over what entities buy into MotoTRBO..... so maybe if I start my own public safety related organization and put my OWN TRBO repeater on the air, then I can get it approved..

Last edited:

mackiefan2004

Also I don't plan on profiting on someone else's work... just sharing the wonders of technology. But some people don't understand the spirit of pioneering. Oh well.

Say, If anyone else is interested in hosting the MOTOTRBO stream, let me know.

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
So you're encouraging him to profit off someone else's hard work (The DSD author)? Nice advice Rob, even if tongue in cheek. :p.

My apologies, I thought DSD was open source. Well, you obviously are smart enough to develop a turnkey system, I'd get with the author and see what kind if deal you can make. How much is the software in the first place?

There could be a good market for those who just want it to work out of the box but don't have the knowledge to set up.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I have a technical question, does this software package give you the timing and color codes? I have a local PS agency running TRBO and I suspect their will soon be others. This area radio shop is pushing it hard to be a cheap alternative to P-25. I would like to get ahead of the curve on being able to decode non-encrypted comms.
BTW That's some trunking system ANCOM is building out. I hope he gets enough customers to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Hi Mackiefan2004,

You should probably ask this question in the Live Audio Administration forum. I would be interested in the answer. BTW, I also thought that the broadcast restriction was for AM, FM, and TV commercial broadcast stations.

I don't see anything in that list pertaining to my application either.

ALSO - that list item is for BROADCAST.... aka 101.3 KDWB, etc.

Besides, I don't have any control over what entities buy into MotoTRBO..... so maybe if I start my own public safety related organization and put my OWN TRBO repeater on the air, then I can get it approved..

Status
Not open for further replies.