New Mystery P25 site in Shelby County

Airdorn

Hi there.

I'm in Cordova and I have a log periodic pointed westward.

I've been picking up an intermittently strong control channel of some Project 25 Phase 1 system lately at 408.2375.

Network/System ID is BEE00.B98-1.1. Looks like it has 3 other frequencies attached to it.

I'm guessing this is some federal system, probably for one of those prison camps over there near Shelby Farms. It being federal, I can't find any info for this, and I can't submit the finding to RR without more info. I know the other prison systems in the database use frequencies similar to these, but I'd appreciate any help in identifying this system!

I've noticed a wee bit of activity, mostly but not totally encrypted.

Thanks!

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
The U.S. Marshals / Department of Justice are in the process of building trunked systems in major metropolitan areas, with sites on those systems being in both the VHF and UHF range. This could be related to that, or possibly not at all. Just a thought. Could also be FCI Memphis moving off the Type II system.

I'll take a drive tomorrow with the laptop and SDR running Unitrunker and see what I can find.

Last edited:

ecps92

I would venture VA Hospital as that is a common VA frequency assignment

What is the NAC on this, and have you searched/found the assigned Voice channels. (what are they)

Hi there.

I'm in Cordova and I have a log periodic pointed westward.

I've been picking up an intermittently strong control channel of some Project 25 Phase 1 system lately at 408.2375.

Network/System ID is BEE00.B98-1.1. Looks like it has 3 other frequencies attached to it.

I'm guessing this is some federal system, probably for one of those prison camps over there near Shelby Farms. It being federal, I can't find any info for this, and I can't submit the finding to RR without more info. I know the other prison systems in the database use frequencies similar to these, but I'd appreciate any help in identifying this system!

I've noticed a wee bit of activity, mostly but not totally encrypted.

Thanks!

Airdorn

Maybe. The frequency doesn't seem to be in any databases I have access to, so no way to know for sure. It's definitely not the TVA system already in the database, though.

Now I'm thinking it's not necessarily down by the Dept. of Corrections. I drove down there today with my laptop and a cute little mag mount on the roof and barely got a signal.

I guess it's time to do some outdoor exploring. :)

Airdorn

After driving around a while in Memphis, I now know this site is somewhere near downtown. The signal is very strong around Union Ave. and Cleveland street, not so much around those Fed Corrections sites I mentioned earlier.

I think that if I park somewhere on South Parkway I can aim a small Yagi at downtown vs. midtown and get an even better idea. My guess is the site radiating the signal is an antenna on top of one of the high rise buildings downtown.

Airdorn

Ok, over the weekend I stuck a very nice Diamond Discone into the air and now I'm seeing ANOTHER mysterious P25 phase 1 system at 410.6750.

SysID: 00001.372-1.1 NAC: 001

Here's the LCN's and freqs:

0-137 407.7125
0-178 408.2250
0-214 408.6750
0-374 410.6750 <-- CC

That SysID and NAC make me think it's brand new and in some testing phase right now.

I think these have to be new systems to replace those 2 aging systems for the fed corrections facility. Is there a way to get info on those frequencies since R. R. doesn't list fed frequency info?

Thanks!

ecps92

Sys 372 has been around for awhile - and is the TVA

RR does have plenty of Federal information in the Wiki and DB

Ok, over the weekend I stuck a very nice Diamond Discone into the air and now I'm seeing ANOTHER mysterious P25 phase 1 system at 410.6750.

SysID: 00001.372-1.1 NAC: 001

Here's the LCN's and freqs:

0-137 407.7125
0-178 408.2250
0-214 408.6750
0-374 410.6750 <-- CC

That SysID and NAC make me think it's brand new and in some testing phase right now.

I think these have to be new systems to replace those 2 aging systems for the fed corrections facility. Is there a way to get info on those frequencies since R. R. doesn't list fed frequency info?

Thanks!

ecps92

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Is a WACN of 00001 a thing? This whole setup smells like a brand new system going up to me.
I've seen that WACN on different systems across the country. I think its just the same as Motorola systems which default is 00001, and nobody changes it. Yes motorolas have BEE00 but the default unprogrammed is 1

Airdorn

Thanks, friends. I see it now. I don't know how I missed that. I've monitored the TVA Allen fossil plant before. I think my problem is I get in this "wow new system!" false sense and forget to use my brain. :)

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
After driving around a while in Memphis, I now know this site is somewhere near downtown. The signal is very strong around Union Ave. and Cleveland street, not so much around those Fed Corrections sites I mentioned earlier.

I think that if I park somewhere on South Parkway I can aim a small Yagi at downtown vs. midtown and get an even better idea. My guess is the site radiating the signal is an antenna on top of one of the high rise buildings downtown.

TVA has an office in Raymond James Tower on Front Street that oversees most of the western ops. Think they have two whole floors. I'm taking a day to get more data on the new MSCAA P25 system, so I'll head downtown (before the body cam drops and stuff gets wild) to check the area. I'll check the federal building and the VA also as per @ecps92 suggestion. Top level of the Med parking garage should be a good place to do some direction finding for it also.

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
So System B98 appears to be a trunked system at the Memphis VA Hospital. Makes sense since it's one of the largest in the region. RSSI of -22 all around downtown, but drops in the immediate shadow of the building. The conversations thus far involve movements of patients for tests, pharmacy runs, comments about supplies "down in the warehouse", and TG11 which is encrypted and I would presume security. Hearing callsigns like Ambassador No. 12 on TG25, Vomit 8 and AC 5 on TG 19.

So my guess right now based on traffic is:
TG11 Security
TG19 Maintenance
TG25 Patient Movement

The single site shows no peers. TG's 11, 19, and 25 are what I've caught so far.

WACN: BEE00
SysID: B98
NAC: B91
Site ID: 001 - Peers: None
CC: 408.2375
Alt: 406.1500, 407.0750, 409.0250
Voice: 409.6375, 410.0250
Band Plan:
1674848490470.png

I'm confident enough to submit it and I will later tonight.