New narrow band system-Morrow County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floktndr

Does anyone on here know anything about the new narrow band system that Morrow County is implementing? It has been in the works for two to three weeks as of the time of this post. We have been on a Motorola Type II system, would the description of a narrow band system intimate a Motorola variant or more likely an EDACS system? We have the BCT15 scanner and the talk has all but disappeared. And if the knowledge isn't generally available how would I find it?

gmitch

Does anyone on here know anything about the new narrow band system that Morrow County is implementing? It has been in the works for two to three weeks as of the time of this post. We have been on a Motorola Type II system, would the description of a narrow band system intimate a Motorola variant or more likely an EDACS system? We have the BCT15 scanner and the talk has all but disappeared. And if the knowledge isn't generally available how would I find it?

Most likely the are staying with the Motorola system. Narrowbanding just means that they are upgrading their equipment to use half of the current bandwidth. This is a federal mandate and all trunked system brands are capable of it.

I see that they have been granted narrowband emissions and also digital emissions on their WPTS628 license. Hopefully, they have not switched to digital as that scanner does not do digital. One possibility is that they have re-done their talkgroup lineup. They have to reprogram the radios anyway. Try programing a new conventional system and put all 7 frequencies in it and listen. Are you hearing anything?

Floktndr

I will try that, I will post back in a few days after I re-program the scanner and see what it does.

Floktndr

Update: I did plug in the frequencies into a conventional system and the only one that comes up is 453.xxxx in different numbers in both the trunking system and the conventional system. The only other thing that I am getting is some farm chatter and that is on frequencies that I did not program in.

gmitch

Update: I did plug in the frequencies into a conventional system and the only one that comes up is 453.xxxx in different numbers in both the trunking system and the conventional system. The only other thing that I am getting is some farm chatter and that is on frequencies that I did not program in.

I noticed that Joe just yesterday updated some talkgroups in the database for this system. Make sure the trunked system is on ID SEARCH instead of ID SCAN and see if you get anything.

Umatilla County / Morrow County Trunking System, Pendleton, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies
Easier to Read BCT-15 Scanner Manual

Floktndr

I did check and the trunked system is on ID search already. I glanced through the link on the simplified BCT15 instructions and downloaded them so I can go through them more thoroughly later on. And even though I don't have the numbers on hand it didn't look like there were any updates to the talk groups that we are interested in. I do appreciate you posting those links, they are helpful. I looked at some other posts last night concerning the new narrow band requirement and several were talking about going digital, I think your guess about this system going digital has merit.

gmitch

I did check and the trunked system is on ID search already. I glanced through the link on the simplified BCT15 instructions and downloaded them so I can go through them more thoroughly later on. And even though I don't have the numbers on hand it didn't look like there were any updates to the talk groups that we are interested in. I do appreciate you posting those links, they are helpful. I looked at some other posts last night concerning the new narrow band requirement and several were talking about going digital, I think your guess about this system going digital has merit.

Let's try one more thing. You put the 7 frequencies from the trunked system into a conventional system. When you scan the conventional system do you hear the control channel? The scanner should stop on one of the 7 and you should hear a continuous, rolling data sound, something like this:
http://kb9ukd.com/digital/motorola_net.wav

Floktndr

Yes we do hear a channel like the one that you linked, to me it sounds more like a diesel motor idling in the background. It used to come on the trunked system, but now that I've put those same frequencies on a conventional system it comes on the conventional instead. That is one of the frequencies that we do the temporary lock out on.

WQFM513

the only 2 i generally hear public safety traffic on is 453.100 and 453.900, i had the whole trunked system programed into my bct8, kept having strange problems, so i just plugged them in as conventional.

The TGID's didn't change. I checked the database against the ones I have in my scanners. I was out there 2 weeks ago and didn't notice anything strange, was hearing city and county LEO's just fine. I'm not out there everynight like I used to be, but may be out that way Thurs or Fri night and will listen close.

Was there last night and heard a fair amount on "County Common" TGID 11280. I then opened the bank,(I'm using a PRO2096) and all the TGID's that came up were either 11280 or various Umatilla Co. LEO TGID's. I don't know unit ID's to know if what I was hearing on 11280 was MCSO or Boardman PD, they might combine disp. on to 11280 at night but there was a good amount of transmissions happening. Since Morrow and Umatilla share the system I would think it would show a change in the system more in Umatilla but Umat PD, Herm PD, Pend PD, and UCSO were busy as usual. Should be back out there again tonight, if anyone needs me to check something specific I will have 30 minutes or so of sitting time I can play around. Floktndr, I don't know what you are trying to listen to, but, I'm not seeing anything different out there than normal.

gmitch

Yes we do hear a channel like the one that you linked, to me it sounds more like a diesel motor idling in the background. It used to come on the trunked system, but now that I've put those same frequencies on a conventional system it comes on the conventional instead. That is one of the frequencies that we do the temporary lock out on.

From what Greg is saying it sounds like a setting got changed on the trunk system. Possibly the control channel(s) is/are locked out. Did you download the system or put it in manually?.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Was there last night and heard a fair amount on "County Common" TGID 11280. I then opened the bank,(I'm using a PRO2096) and all the TGID's that came up were either 11280 or various Umatilla Co. LEO TGID's. I don't know unit ID's to know if what I was hearing on 11280 was MCSO or Boardman PD, they might combine disp. on to 11280 at night but there was a good amount of transmissions happening. Since Morrow and Umatilla share the system I would think it would show a change in the system more in Umatilla but Umat PD, Herm PD, Pend PD, and UCSO were busy as usual. Should be back out there again tonight, if anyone needs me to check something specific I will have 30 minutes or so of sitting time I can play around. Floktndr, I don't know what you are trying to listen to, but, I'm not seeing anything different out there than normal.

Umatilla County Dispatch Center Up and Running

Last night was the same as Thurs night. That article sounds like it was affecting the 911 calls not the radio transmissions. If we here from the OP again maybe we can help him out. I think gmitch is on the right track.

Dann

Premium Subscriber
I had to hold over in Boardman last night and my handheld is set up for that county,and everything was fine with the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.