New Nationwide Air Tanker Base Frequency

kd7jfv

Database Admin
Has anyone determined what the new Air Tanker Base Nationwide Frequency is?

IA IB 23-01.jpg

Interagency Aviation Information Bulletin Date: January 12, 2023 Page 1 of 1 Subject: New Nationwide Airtanker Base Frequency. Area of Concern: Aviation Operations. Distribution: All Fire and Fire Aviation Operations Discussion: The FAA Spectrum Engineering Office has reassigned many radio frequencies including those used to support some wildland fire operations. As a result all Airtanker Base (ATB) frequencies will be reassigned. The new frequency will be published in the NWCG Airtanker Base Directory, PMS 507 which is available by logging in at Fire Enterprise Geospatial Portal. An account is required. Frequencies for aviation facilites are considered sensitive as Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI). It is not to be disseminated without a Lawful Government Purpose. The transition date is scheduled for February 1, 2023. This frequency is to be used for all existing ATBs. Any portable or temporary bases will need to order a separate frequency. Frequency Management has become increasingly challenging due to the number of assignments using frequencies in the aviation bands. There are about 12,500 current assignments. Continental US frequencies are the most challenging to find frequencies for new facilities. Users should be aware that some UNICOM frequencies at facilities may be close to the new nationwide ATB frequency. Bleed over or interference could occur and is considered a hazard/communication issue. This should be reported to your Geographic Area Coordinating Group (GACC) and a SAFECOM filed as soon as possible. For additional questions regarding frequency issues, contact Kim Albracht at 208-830-2333 or kimberly.albracht@usda.gov. /s/ /Keith Raley /s/ Lori Clark Keith Raley Chief, Aviation Safety, Program Evaluation, and Quality Management DOI, Office of Aviation Services Lori Clark Branch Chief - Aviation Safety Management Systems USDA, Forest Service

nd5y

I wonder why such secrecy?
Their reason:

2023 Interagency Standards for Fire and Fire Aviation Operations (Red Book)

Chapter 15 Radio Frequency Management
Under Executive Order 13556 and in accordance with DOI/USDA policies and
guidelines, all documents which include DOI/USDA frequencies are considered
to be Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) and must be controlled and
marked as such following the guidance of the National Archives CUI Marking
Handbook, version 1.1.

Therefore, any documents containing frequency information whose
dissemination is not controlled with a password, must be labeled at the top and
bottom of each page with “CUI” and controlled as such.

ecps92

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Maybe they want to avoid some whacker reporting himself as "radio tech" coming up on their frequencies and trying to tell them where to best fight the fire

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone determined what the new Air Tanker Base Nationwide Frequency is?

View attachment 141917

Interagency Aviation Information Bulletin Date: January 12, 2023 Page 1 of 1 Subject: New Nationwide Airtanker Base Frequency. Area of Concern: Aviation Operations. Distribution: All Fire and Fire Aviation Operations Discussion: The FAA Spectrum Engineering Office has reassigned many radio frequencies including those used to support some wildland fire operations. As a result all Airtanker Base (ATB) frequencies will be reassigned. The new frequency will be published in the NWCG Airtanker Base Directory, PMS 507 which is available by logging in at Fire Enterprise Geospatial Portal. An account is required. Frequencies for aviation facilites are considered sensitive as Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI). It is not to be disseminated without a Lawful Government Purpose. The transition date is scheduled for February 1, 2023. This frequency is to be used for all existing ATBs. Any portable or temporary bases will need to order a separate frequency. Frequency Management has become increasingly challenging due to the number of assignments using frequencies in the aviation bands. There are about 12,500 current assignments. Continental US frequencies are the most challenging to find frequencies for new facilities. Users should be aware that some UNICOM frequencies at facilities may be close to the new nationwide ATB frequency. Bleed over or interference could occur and is considered a hazard/communication issue. This should be reported to your Geographic Area Coordinating Group (GACC) and a SAFECOM filed as soon as possible. For additional questions regarding frequency issues, contact Kim Albracht at 208-830-2333 or kimberly.albracht@usda.gov. /s/ /Keith Raley /s/ Lori Clark Keith Raley Chief, Aviation Safety, Program Evaluation, and Quality Management DOI, Office of Aviation Services Lori Clark Branch Chief - Aviation Safety Management Systems USDA, Forest Service

Tentatively, I believe that frequency will be 122.675. I've had this information for about a month now, but in a document I had not gone through line by line yet. I have a listing of the air tanker bases for Arizona and New Mexico with one frequency shown for all 11 Air Tanker Bases shown with 122.675. Last year all of Arizona was on 123.975 and New Mexico was on 120.875, but this year shows all bases on 122.675 so I think we can interpolate that as being the new nationwide ATB frequency.

123.975 used to be nationwide, at least in the western states, but starting about 10-15 years ago some areas had to have a different frequency, while others retained the old national frequency. Then the FAA, not NIFC, required these changes. The list had grown to about 19-20 frequencies last year. I guess NIFC lobbied the FAA enough regarding this issue to get a new nationwide frequency. That greatly simplifies things and that is always a good thing. It will eliminate a 4 page listing that existed previously. We will see how long this assignment lasts. I would not be surprised to see it change in the next 10-15 years.

I don't have access yet to the "National Interagency Aviation Frequency Guide" for 2023, just the 2022 version. When I get an updated version I will post the confirmation on this thread.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I found 122.675 on a 2023 list from an eastern Geographical Area Coordination Center. I think that pretty much confirms that this is the new nationwide ATB freq.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
A lot of tanker bases have the freq posted on the fence as you drive up to the entrance gate.

The more the merrier as far as confirmations. The two sources I was able to find so far, are both official documents, one the in USFS Southwest Region and one in the USFS Eastern Region. I think that nails down the new frequency to about a 99% certainty. It is possible that some ATB's won't change their signs, if they have them, for some time to come. Therefore I would not have as much confidence in them.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I've now found 122.675 listed for air tanker bases in Colorado (Rocky Mountain Geographical Area Coordination Center) and Utah and Nevada (Great Basin GACC). That is now 4 GACC's and that is enough confirmations for me to submit the frequency to the database under the NIFC listings in the Nationwide Frequencies section.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
It's not a 100% changeover, but yes, 122.675 is the "new" 123.975 this year. However the coordination couldn't be completed everywhere so there will be some holdouts on 123.975 in places in California at least. Best to have both in the scanner.