WS1040: New & need help with manual programming - Oklahoma

dklong

Hello! I bought a scanner that had been used and do not have a programming cord. I have looked online but am having difficulty figuring out which one would work for me. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it so much!

In the meantime, I have been watching tutorials and programming manually with some success. I have a couple of questions...
Carter County Oklahoma - Ardmore police.
154.860 (p25 Police Dispatch) - comes through perfectly.
154.800 (FMN Police Car to Car) has a lot of static, so I'm not sure that I have the settings correct on it.

Also, when I click on the license of each there are several other frequencies that come up at the bottom of the page. Should I program all of these in as well? Would all of the ones listed under the 154.860 be P25 frequencies and all the ones listed under 154.800 be FMN?
Any other words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

wtp

the 154.86 is the base frequency, so you should have no trouble hearing that one
154.8 is car to car, so your radio is trying to hear a car at ground level and with trees, houses, buildings in the way, it usually works well within a mile or so. after that it gets 'fuzzy'
so yes, the radio is set up right.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello! I bought a scanner that had been used and do not have a programming cord. I have looked online but am having difficulty figuring out which one would work for me. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it so much!
-
Looking on the Whistler website, under the listed accessories for the WS1040 scanner, this is the recommended programming cable:

dklong

the 154.86 is the base frequency, so you should have no trouble hearing that one
154.8 is car to car, so your radio is trying to hear a car at ground level and with trees, houses, buildings in the way, it usually works well within a mile or so. after that it gets 'fuzzy'
so yes, the radio is set up right.

Thank you! Also, in order to hear everything am I supposed to set up all the other channels under the license?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Looking on the Whistler website, under the listed accessories for the WS1040 scanner, this is the recommended programming cable:
The driver for the cable is in Downloads on the Whistler site. You will also need programming software to download from the Radio Reference database. I use Butel ARC500 Basic. You can also use PSREdit500. Both have a free trial period to determine which one you like best.

dklong

The driver for the cable is in Downloads on the Whistler site. You will also need programming software to download from the Radio Reference database. I use Butel ARC500 Basic. You can also use PSREdit500. Both have a free trial period to determine which one you like best.
Thank you!

wtp

don't forget proscan. and he is on this site as "proscan".

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
don't forget proscan. and he is on this site as "proscan".
The OP has a Whistler WS1040, which is not compatible with the ProScan programming software.