~New~ Need to purchase Radio... Help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakeeri7

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I am looking for anyone out there that may be able to help. I live in Fremont, Ohio and my brother and I own a snow removal company. This year we have signed a contract with Sandusky County Regional Airport and we are needing to purchase a Aircraft Scanner but that can also talk with the planes as well. (Just in case we are on the runway and someone wants to land)

I have very little knowledge with regular police scanners but have no clue with Aviation Scanner/Radios. Can someone please give me a recommendation of what sort of radio we may need. The only time we will be using this radio is when snow falls and we are plowing, so nothing to fancy is needed.

All help is greatly appreciated!

W2NJS

You don't need a scanner. You need a two-way aircraft radio so you can talk to the tower when they want you to get out of the way. Your safest bet would be to find out who handles the radio chores/sales for the airport's current fleet of vehicles and contact that company to find out what you need and to handle the FCC paperwork involved.

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
Reguarding your purchase of a scanner, Any good analog scanner will do fine for monitoring air traffic. I would suggest that you get one with an alphanumeric display so that you can assign a text tag to the corrosponding frequency for easy identification.

Your other option is purchasing any newer type of scanner that has the air band pre programmed into a search bank (Most these days do) The radioshack pro-97 analog is a good scanner to use. The only problem is that your audio is not all that great.

Lastly you can go with a good 2 meter ham radio, as most will RX the air band, Some may require a simple modification. They just will not TX. I can't help you on finding an actual radio that transmits in the air band, My suggestion would be to check the classifieds on here, craigslist or good ol fleabay. Good luck!

lakeeri7

Premium Subscriber
Your safest bet would be to find out who handles the radio chores/sales for the airport's current fleet of vehicles.

You know that never even crossed my mind. The only thing is though with it being a small airport I don't believe they have a "Tower". But I will definitely be making phone calls to my contact today. Thanks!

W2NJS

I was going to put in an edit to my post but was afraid you might miss it. You could also find out from the radio contractor if they'd just rent you a radio for the snow season. That would make the cost just an ordinary expense with no capitalization/depreciation involved and you would just give the radio back when Spring arrives.

lakeeri7

Premium Subscriber
So I have talked with our contact and we have to purchase our own. However, they use a company out west and that's all he knows. So can anyone recommend a radio model or brand I can research? I need just the very basic to listen and communicate back.

Thank you

kma371

QRT
Icom and Yaesu make some pretty decent handheld airband transceivers.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

majoco

Stirrer
Modifying any radio to work on the aircraft bands is a no-no now that they are going to even tighter channel spacing - a ham band radio won't do it either as they are NFM and the aircraft band is AM. Look up King KX99 on FleaBay.

kma371

QRT
Modifying any radio to work on the aircraft bands is a no-no now that they are going to even tighter channel spacing - a ham band radio won't do it either as they are NFM and the aircraft band is AM. Look up King KX99 on FleaBay.

Just because I mentioned companies that make ham radios doesn't mean I was talking about a ham radio.

Again, Yaesu and Icom make "airband transceivers" that are good quality.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Yaesu doesn't make air-band radios, their parent company, Vertex Standard, might. (Yaesu is the name used on the company's ham gear.)

I have used some older Bendix-King radios, which were decent. The rights to that brand has been purchased by Relm. I have not heard any comments on any air-band radios they might be producing.

I have used Icom air-band handhelds, in the past few years. They were easy to program, and will scan memory locations.

OP - will the airfield management let you use their license for transmitting? If not, you will need to get your own license. (You should also get some lessons on the jargon used, and spend time listening. ATC radio transmissions are rather fast paced.)

CalebATC

I'd shoot for the Vertex VXA-220. Can be found at Sporty's for $215, plus a free cigarette lighter.

As a pilot, monitor, and airport bum, airshow and plane spotter, it's hit the tarmac a good amount of times, yet it still works fine. Built like an absolute TANK! Plus, great battery life, AND it's waterproof (to an extent). It is a great radio, and I wouldn't recommend anything BUT the Vertex radios. Lots of great features, too! Amazing radio. I wouldn't get a ICOM or any other radio if I had the chance!

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/10976

Go for the VXA-220 though. You won't regret it. Don't try to half *** it modding a radio. Like a former poster said, the FAA is tightening the channel spacing, and you don't want to be messing with anything aviation with illegal, malfunctioning, worthless equipment!

I know you came here for an answer on a radio, I won't give you any heck, but I sure hope you have a plan to efficiently, and correctly, and legally communicate with the FBO, and aircraft (and tower, if they have one). The FBO and airport managers will probably (and should) fill you in on this closer to time though.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I absolutely prefer the mobile mount radios over the hand helds. The hand-helds work and we used them for a long time. The mobile radios were a noticeable improvement. Mostly because of their improved sensitivity but also for the increased power output.

I really like our Icom A-110's for mobile use. They are rather pricy, though @ around $800. You could go ahead with the less expensive hand held models, just make sure you go with an external antenna, the rubber duckies are crap.

Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.