New NSW RFS P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion_jb2001

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

The new RFS P25 system is slowly rolling out over the state, with the new frequencies available both here and through the ACMA. My question relates to scanning this new system. Obviously one will need a digital scanner, like my BCD 396xt. Now I am aware of how the NSW GRN works with control channels for each site and how to program to scan within, but does anyone know how this new RFS system will work? I am not sure there is a "controlling channel" per say and only 1 digital voice channel per site.

I can see for each district the relevant sites and frequencies attached to same. Now not quite up on P25 technical side but I can see each site seems to have 2 frequencies attached, 1 unique to that site and 1 frequency that may be on either all the district sites or depending on the size of the district, there seems to be possibly 2 frequencies or so that will cover say a group of sites. Now the I will call each unique a voice freqs are down around 420 to say 424 mhz and these "district wide" freqs are up in the 427 - 429 range. Now these district wide freqs I will refer as "control frequency" . In programming I am guessing you need only to enter the "voice" freq for each site and I am thinking you do not need to enter the "data freq" as this must have something to do with controlling the districts transmission. Am I on the right path??

Jeff :)

Now to scan such a system, using my 396xt as the example, you would set up a P25 system for the new RFS P25 setup and then you would set a number of sites, with each unique voice freq, that you would want to scan. Right??? Now my 396xt utilizes GPS. what a marvellous addition to a scanner. I am planning to set up one P25 system for the new RFS P25 and to add each site within the areas I want to scan, with a GPS co ordinate for each site. So as I travel around, each site will either come into range or drop off. Is this the way to go for setting up a 396 scanner to work with this new system?

A general question, especially related to GPS scanning, what sort of distance is the RFS hoping for with these new P25 sites I know as a rule of thumb, the GRN sites max would be about 25km, with some smaller foot prints. This is relevant for setting you distance per site tied into the GPS co ord.

philbert87

Multi State AU - DB Admin
Database Admin
the NSW RFS P25 PMR Network is a non trunked network and can be programmed very quickly into the 396xt, if you have programming software like proscan or freescan i believe you may be able to import from the radio reference database. otherwise

Menu -> Program System -> Scroll to Conventional. and start programming as for distances some sites can give coverage over 100km from the site so it is really up to you and your location

goaheadover

Banned
the NSW RFS P25 PMR Network is a non trunked network and can be programmed very quickly into the 396xt, if you have programming software like proscan or freescan i believe you may be able to import from the radio reference database. otherwise

Menu -> Program System -> Scroll to Conventional. and start programming as for distances some sites can give coverage over 100km from the site so it is really up to you and your location

I know that NSWAmbo, and NSWFS has fully migrated to the digital trunking system, I have heard police will go statewide to the system in 2016, and abandon their conventional networks. Anyone heard different?

philbert87

Multi State AU - DB Admin
Database Admin
I know that NSWAmbo, and NSWFS has fully migrated to the digital trunking system, I have heard police will go statewide to the system in 2016, and abandon their conventional networks. Anyone heard different?

Good Morning,

The New South Wales Ambulance Service and the Fire and Rescue New South Wales are on the NSWGRN for areas that it covers which is a great portion of the Greater Metro Area and down to the Victorian Border

in Country Areas all services rely on there respective PMR Networks, yes the NSWRFS are upgrading to P25 for the whole state and it seems to be being rolled out progressively, the FRNSW have deployed P25 in the Southern Side of NSW around Thredbo. the NSWAS dont appear to be upgrading there radio solutions other then moving MDT's to other solutions and changing frequencies, the New South Wales Police are also progressively rolling out Digital throughout the state with a large portion of the East Coast already digital or being fast tracked to digital

Hopefully this will help you

Status
Not open for further replies.