New NY SEMO tower location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alarms50

Looking through the FCC's website, NY State Emergency Mangement Office has a pending application http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applFreqSum.jsp?applID=5302012
for a new low band frequency transmitter at Westchester County's Mohansic Golf Course Tower. New freq's at this location will be 42.04, 44.66, & 45.16MHz. The 42.04 & 44.66MHz freq's are already licensed at the County PD HQ in Hawthorne. Anybody listen to these freq's, and is it worth listening to?

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
That's kind of odd, I never knew SEMO has frequencies in VHF low band. I know they operate on HF for statewide net and 800 in the city, but never knew they have allocations on low band.

Meanwhile, the ERP seems a bit low on 42MHz, it looks like it is just for the Mohansic region. Don't hold your breath if you can't hear them well.

D

DaveNF2G

SEMO has operated on low band since it was first created.

The rest of the state is nothing like NYC.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The only traffic I have monitored on their low band channels is school busses. The location is an existing tower, built in the late 80's to replace an old water tank that was used for antenna's. Possibly some stimulus money the got as grants to add transmitters. Westchester County has used the channels at times, I remember in the late 70's when Buffalo was snowed 10 ft under. They used the channel to coordinate mutual aid 4 wheel drive fire equipment relocating to up there. The 42.02 channel used to be a state police frequency.

Spec

I have to agree with Dave on SEMO's existence for a very long time here in the southern tier. I've had them with a pl 110.9 on 45.160 doing weekly radio checks.

NY DB Admin
Database Admin
More than likely it is for their Emergency Alert System repeaters. They installed several EAS stations in "Upstate" communications centers a few years back. Wait for a good summer storm to roll in and their frequencies are constant EAS transmission, which can be a real pain, especially when it is a shared frequency. If you look at their FCC Data I am sure you will find several "co-located" stations/licenses with County EOC's.

SCANdal

Silent Key
The only traffic I have monitored on their low band channels is school busses.

Are you sure you're using the correct CTCSS tones? For 45.160R, as Spec offers above, use 110.9; which would be the same tone used with 44.660R.

SCANdal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.