New OSHP Columbus freeway post #?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intellifax

Anybody have the post number for OSHP's new Columbus freeway patrol post?

They stood up on October 1 after taking over the freeway (I-270, I-70, and I-71) patrol duties in the Columbus area. Housed in a former state highway garage somewhere near the south side of Columbus. 8 troops and 1 Sergeant so far, no Lieutenant yet.

CVPI4Ever

Why would a Highway Patrol have a "freeway patrol?" Makes no sense since OSHP has jurisdiction on all public roadways. I think the posts in the surrounding counties to Franklin, handle Franklin County.

Intellifax

Its similar to what they did in Cuyahoga County a few years ago. Its not a question of whether OSHP has jurisdiction, its a responsibility that they have decided to assume. Previously, Columbus PD had traffic cars assigned to those roads. I'm not sure if they still do, but was told by an OSHP Lt that Columbus PD no longer dedicates units to patrol the interstates in Columbus. He also hears that the Dayton area is next.

Michigan State Police has been doing this for years in the Detroit area.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Anybody have the post number for OSHP's new Columbus freeway patrol post?

They stood up on October 1 after taking over the freeway (I-270, I-70, and I-71) patrol duties in the Columbus area. Housed in a former state highway garage somewhere near the south side of Columbus. 8 troops and 1 Sergeant so far, no Lieutenant yet.

I haven't heard at work of any special or new posts being started, and according to the OSP web page, patrol of the freeways in Franklin County is still handled by the posts in the surrounding counties.

It's entirely possible that the troops could be subsidiary to the surrounding posts but operating out of a location in Franklin County simply to reduce the drive time from the post to Columbus.

With OSP currently in cost-cutting mode (like most other state and local government agencies), I'd be surprised if they actually started up a full-blown post, especially when there is already a Columbus post.

Intellifax

Received the official response from OSHP Columbus this morning. The new unit on Alum Creek Drive is augmenting patrols on I-270 due to an excessive high rate of crashes in the Franklin County area, 56 fatals so far this year. It does not replace Columbus PD's freeway patrols. The unit also includes motorcycle patrols. It has 10 troops and supervision.

Reading between the lines, it appears that Cincinnati may be next, as the Lieutenant mentioned that the highest crash rates were in the Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati areas. That would be expected as those are the three areas with the densest population and major routes, but 56 fatals in just Franklin County does seem very high.

jerk

Received the official response from OSHP Columbus this morning. The new unit on Alum Creek Drive is augmenting patrols on I-270 due to an excessive high rate of crashes in the Franklin County area, 56 fatals so far this year. It does not replace Columbus PD's freeway patrols. The unit also includes motorcycle patrols. It has 10 troops and supervision.

Reading between the lines, it appears that Cincinnati may be next, as the Lieutenant mentioned that the highest crash rates were in the Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati areas. That would be expected as those are the three areas with the densest population and major routes, but 56 fatals in just Franklin County does seem very high.

Just an excuse for increased-interactions for revenue enhancements i.e. speeding tickets.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Just an excuse for increased-interactions for revenue enhancements i.e. speeding tickets.

If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime. If speeding is a problem, by all means ticket the offenders. And from my travels on 270 (and all the other interstates in Franklin County) speeding is a problem.

Mike

CVPI4Ever

Where at on Alum Creek Drive? Out of the Central Install facility?

CVPI4Ever

If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime. If speeding is a problem, by all means ticket the offenders. And from my travels on 270 (and all the other interstates in Franklin County) speeding is a problem.

Mike

Agreed! Speeding is a HUGE problem Heck, I call I-270 the Columbus International Speedway.

Read here
Downtown ramp closings, detours lead to dramatic increase in wrecks | The Columbus Dispatch

People cant even drive in the construction zones! Its not that difficult to slow down, leave distance and allow for extra time to get to your destination.

Intellifax

Where at on Alum Creek Drive? Out of the Central Install facility?

Got me Tim, anyone else that is more familiar with the area have a idea? I was told previously that it was in a former highway garage.

And maybe to help steer the thread back on topic, maybe somebody can do a drive-by and see if there are any new signs or antennas on the building. Not that they would need either, but who knows.

CVPI4Ever

I am not driving anywhere near there with all the construction for the next 3 years while its going on unless I have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.