Not open for further replies.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
I
Tried adding manually and no traffic
Bill

M8XayMR.jpg

JnQwzsQ.jpg

Maybe they changed CC's. I picked it up constantly Thursday and Friday with all license freqs registering Talkgroups. Scan them all and I'll be back Monday to check it out. Range was pretty good in Calhoun/WM/Monroe and some in North Monroe.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
You may want to add all the frequencies for that sites as well as the control. Yes I know it will slow down the scanning it. But have all the Frequencies in there might help.

Please note I came through the area on I 20. I used only the control and have no trouble from Bossier City/sShreveport to the stateline (Tallaluh area). That was on the July 1, 2021.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Picking it up right now on 854.3375 with the same info. Mostly OPFD/OPSO which is expected. I'm using an SDS100 and HP2 in Monroe.

What are you using? Check the frequency and antena.

BillC

Premium Subscriber
Picking it up right now on 854.3375 with the same info. Mostly OPFD/OPSO which is expected. I'm using an SDS100 and HP2 in Monroe.

What are you using? Check the frequency and antena.
other than frequencies are there any other settings I need?
SDS 100 w/remtronix
Thanks
Bill

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
other than frequencies are there any other settings I need?
SDS 100 w/remtronix
Thanks
Bill

That's what I was using exactly.

Not really, just make a new site with the information I gave. I always make duplicate sites; one with CC's only and one with full frequencies that is permanently avoided (just in case). But that's personal preference. If still not getting any signal; check site avoids, quick keys, and NAC settings. Go to conventional or custom search mode and see if you're even picking up the control channel.

As for transmissions, this site will not be as active as the others around it. I assume it's to give better coverage for SO/FD in that area so that may or may not be who uses it primarily. But at least there's now less of a gap in coverage right there.

BillC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the assist. Got it working. It’s not really going to help me that much since all that seems to be on it is OPSO & OPFD. I don’t want to miss Monroe and West Monroe PDs. I would have thought it would carry the cities as well.

Oh well.

Bill
That's what I was using exactly.

Not really, just make a new site with the information I gave. I always make duplicate sites; one with CC's only and one with full frequencies that is permanently avoided (just in case). But that's personal preference. If still not getting any signal; check site avoids, quick keys, and NAC settings. Go to conventional or custom search mode and see if you're even picking up the control channel.

As for transmissions, this site will not be as active as the others around it. I assume it's to give better coverage for SO/FD in that area so that may or may not be who uses it primarily. But at least there's now less of a gap in coverage right there.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the assist. Got it working. It’s not really going to help me that much since all that seems to be on it is OPSO & OPFD. I don’t want to miss Monroe and West Monroe PDs. I would have thought it would carry the cities as well.

Oh well.

Bill

Glad to hear. Considering how the system works; city PD is too far away to connect to the site and therefore won't be active on the scanner end that often. However this may change from time to time as I hear city PD on Calhoun often. I assume that the site was created specifically to increase rural coverage for SO/FD and thus they will be the primary users.

Would be neat if they simulcasted the 4 sites that now exist in Ouachita.

BillC

Premium Subscriber
Ok if y’all will bear with my ignorance for a moment and clear up something for me I would appreciate it.
So now there 4 sites in the mix. I have been listening only to the Monroe site for a couple of years and was assuming I was hearing everything. Now it would seem perhaps not. I am hearing OPFD and OPSO only on the new site. I am hearing MPD etc on the Monroe site as well as periodically OPSO. So how does LWIN handle say an OPSO unit leaving the courthouse and driving south? Will I hear it on Monroe till he picks up the Cypress site and only him and dispatch? Are the east side OPFD stations going to be on the Monroe site while the southwest area traffic is going to end up on the new site I still hear all the troopers on the Monroe site and never on the Cypress. I guess I am just really puzzled how the system figures out which sites to transmit on when they aren’t using simulcast.

Lastly I guess I will need to scan both sites now.

Thanks

Bill

Glad to hear. Considering how the system works; city PD is too far away to connect to the site and therefore won't be active on the scanner end that often. However this may change from time to time as I hear city PD on Calhoun often. I assume that the site was created specifically to increase rural coverage for SO/FD and thus they will be the primary users.

Would be neat if they simulcasted the 4 sites that now exist in Ouachita.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
So now there 4 sites in the mix. I have been listening only to the Monroe site for a couple of years and was assuming I was hearing everything.

When monitoring a site, you will hear all talkgroups being used by that site. You will NOT hear talkgroups NOT being used by the site.

I am hearing OPFD and OPSO only on the new site.

As expected. What that means is no one using MPD talkgroups are connected to the new site. Sites only broadcast if there's someone to listen (an actual affiliated radio, not us scanners).

Will I hear it on Monroe till he picks up the Cypress site and only him and dispatch?

No. You will hear all units on that talkgroup as long as one unit has a radio connected to the site you are monitoring.

Are the east side OPFD stations going to be on the Monroe site while the southwest area traffic is going to end up on the new site

No. The Cypress OPFD station is close enough to the site (obviously, its down the street) that it's base radio will always be connected to the new site regardless of where the units are. Likewise there will always be a unit on OPFD Dispatch 1 talkgroup connected to the Monroe site. You will hear all traffic on both sites (and Calhoun & West Monroe also).

I still hear all the troopers on the Monroe site and never on the Cypress.

I experience the same when monitoring it. It's because no one tuned to LSP Troop F Dispatch 1 is connected to the new site (at the time).

I guess I am just really puzzled how the system figures out which sites to transmit on when they aren’t using simulcast.

I was in the same boat. Think about the sites and their limited number of frequencies. It's impossible to transmit every talkgroup in use on the whole system ON EVERY SITE. For the radio user (a unit with an actual affiliated radio), they don't notice a thing. They key up, and someones there. Regardless. For us "receive only" guys and gals it takes some understanding of the system to be able to monitor what we want to monitor.

Think of it like a computer system. Because it basically is. I run an SDR app and can see radios logging in, logging out, changing channels, etc that you never "hear". I monitor Bastrop 3-12 which is fairly busy. A Balentine EMS unit with a radio on their primary dispatch comes within range to connect to the site. As long as it is connected, I can hear all traffic from all radios on that talkgroup regardless of where they are located. At some point, traffic will cut out. That means that unit left the coverage area.

A geographical example of something you're familiar with: Since OPFD Swartz station and Fairbanks station are close enough north to have base radios on the Bastrop site, I can monitor OPFD Dispatch 1 and everyone else on it pretty much 24/7. OPSO units are almost always north enough to do the same, therefore I can almost (less than OPFD but still a lot) monitor OPSO Dispatch 1 and everyone on it. MFD/WMFD units are almost NEVER north enough to connect to my site and therefore I almost NEVER pick up those talkgroups. Even though I hear Natchitoches SO because one of their units came to Bastrop (mental health centers).

Lastly I guess I will need to scan both sites now.

To monitor certain desired talkgroups, yes you will have to scan more sites. If Ouachita was simulcast, you could hear everything as all 4 towers would function as "one site".

We can only hope.

BillC

Premium Subscriber
Thank you so much for the detailed explanations! I really appreciate it. Now I understand it more.
I guess I am going to have to just buy an outdoor antenna. My remtronix just won’t do it in my house 🙁

I am glad to see I’m not the only insomniac. Unless of course you are an early riser!

Thanks again

Bill

When monitoring a site, you will hear all talkgroups being used by that site. You will NOT hear talkgroups NOT being used by the site.

As expected. What that means is no one using MPD talkgroups are connected to the new site. Sites only broadcast if there's someone to listen (an actual affiliated radio, not us scanners).

No. You will hear all units on that talkgroup as long as one unit has a radio connected to the site you are monitoring.

No. The Cypress OPFD station is close enough to the site (obviously, its down the street) that it's base radio will always be connected to the new site regardless of where the units are. Likewise there will always be a unit on OPFD Dispatch 1 talkgroup connected to the Monroe site. You will hear all traffic on both sites (and Calhoun & West Monroe also).

I experience the same when monitoring it. It's because no one tuned to LSP Troop F Dispatch 1 is connected to the new site (at the time).

I was in the same boat. Think about the sites and their limited number of frequencies. It's impossible to transmit every talkgroup in use on the whole system ON EVERY SITE. For the radio user (a unit with an actual affiliated radio), they don't notice a thing. They key up, and someones there. Regardless. For us "receive only" guys and gals it takes some understanding of the system to be able to monitor what we want to monitor.

Think of it like a computer system. Because it basically is. I run an SDR app and can see radios logging in, logging out, changing channels, etc that you never "hear". I monitor Bastrop 3-12 which is fairly busy. A Balentine EMS unit with a radio on their primary dispatch comes within range to connect to the site. As long as it is connected, I can hear all traffic from all radios on that talkgroup regardless of where they are located. At some point, traffic will cut out. That means that unit left the coverage area.

A geographical example of something you're familiar with: Since OPFD Swartz station and Fairbanks station are close enough north to have base radios on the Bastrop site, I can monitor OPFD Dispatch 1 and everyone else on it pretty much 24/7. OPSO units are almost always north enough to do the same, therefore I can almost (less than OPFD but still a lot) monitor OPSO Dispatch 1 and everyone on it. MFD/WMFD units are almost NEVER north enough to connect to my site and therefore I almost NEVER pick up those talkgroups. Even though I hear Natchitoches SO because one of their units came to Bastrop (mental health centers).

To monitor certain desired talkgroups, yes you will have to scan more sites. If Ouachita was simulcast, you could hear everything as all 4 towers would function as "one site".

We can only hope.

BillC

Premium Subscriber
One more dumb question. How do I add new sites to my LWIN system in my favorites. I updated the master database and I see the sites, just don’t know how to add via sentinel
Thanks
Bill

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Right click on the master database entry and click append to favorites. HOWEVER, this will copy the entire LWIN system and put it as a new system in your favorites. I would add them manually for less trouble by going to the system, sites tab.

Hassellm

Premium Subscriber
I’m completely new to this site and was wondering if anyone knew where my best bet of finding archives from 8/17/21? Specifically troop F and possibly and EMS/MedFlight for that afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.