new owner of scanner what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdumom52

I have a radio shack scanner , i live in Alton Illinois , and the frequencies for Alton Police have stopped. What's that about?

Radio_Cowboy

I"m picking them up on 155.19 with no issues. Did you accidentally turn on your scanner's attenuator, or set your scanner to decode a pl tone other then 156.7?

I use a 5/8 VHF antenna inside the house here, and pick up Alton as well as Monroe County IL, which uses the same frequency.

-RC-

pdumom52

Ok i have an old scanner and am new at working it. I have not had any trouble until about 2 days ago.. i still get east alton. No alton police traffic at all. Attenuator? No idea what that is. All traffic has slowed considerably. Almost like they changed frequencies and didn't tell me. Can they do that???? just kidding. I am wondering if i should just replace this 20 year old scanner. I wish i could go somewhere and learn how to use one.

Radio_Cowboy

I'm listening to Alton PD right now on the primary 155.190. They usually have more traffic then east Alton, but it's still not as busy as say...St.Louis. Can you pick up Woodriver PD, 155.115?

Is your scanner a base or hand held? Try making sure the antenna is on good and snug (Don't over tighten!) if it's a base, and try moving the scanner to a different part of your house. The signal could be blocked, which could be why you are not hearing anything.

-RC-

Status
Not open for further replies.