BCD436HP/BCD536HP: New owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrellssam

If this has been asked before, please point me in the right direction.....I received a brand new 436 for Christmas and wanted to know if it will mess anything up if I have it plugged in to either my computer or to power outlet while scanner is on.....I understand that the batteries WILL NOT charge if the scanner is on, but didn't know if it runs STRICTLY on the batteries or if there is an internal "switch"(for lack of a better term)that would tell the scanner that power is being supplied from AC/external power source.....cannot find answer in manual anywhere

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
While I'm fairly new to the 436 as well, from what I can tell if plugged in to a power source, it will run off the external source only. I ran mine all day yesterday off the cable & batteries are still good today.

Also, might want to check this link out if you haven't already. Easily beats the factory manual.
Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual for menu

Jeff.

ferrellssam

Thanks, been considering this scanner for a while now and now that I have it, I don't want to fry anything.....have read about the SD cards becoming corrupted in some of the 436 forums here and that was my main concern....

ChrisABQ

I run mine without issue of the USB cable to computer or external power cable I bought from Amazon. The only difference is the external power supplies enough power to charge it "a bit" while in operation.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I backed up my original SD card to a folder on my PC. I then copied it to a new 32Gb card and replaced the original, 4Gb version. I think the main thing is making sure it completes it's "writing to sd card" function before removing power.

Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.