new p 25 & pagers

Status
Not open for further replies.

patcher03

I know in Baltimore County, even tho the system is being upgraded to P25, Fire Main is still being simulcast with 46.46 and volunteer paging is still sent over 46.46 using Zetron.

Volunteer stations are supposed to be transitioned to an alerting system sent over the secure network to the stations so when that happens, who knows.

ocguard

I know in Baltimore County, even tho the system is being upgraded to P25, Fire Main is still being simulcast with 46.46 and volunteer paging is still sent over 46.46 using Zetron.

Volunteer stations are supposed to be transitioned to an alerting system sent over the secure network to the stations so when that happens, who knows.

Even when volunteer stations are transitioned to either MOSCAD or the data system for station alerting, there will still need to be a pager system maintained for volunteers and staff officers. They'll keep 46.46 up as long as it will work, since they've dumped so much money into replacing pagers with Minitor 4 and Minitor 5 models. When it all finally reaches the end of it's life cycle, I anticipate you'll see alphanumeric paging for volunteers and staff officers.

For now, it's a safe bet to purchase a 46.46mhz pager, but shouldn't your company issue you one?

patcher03

Even when volunteer stations are transitioned to either MOSCAD or the data system for station alerting, there will still need to be a pager system maintained for volunteers and staff officers. They'll keep 46.46 up as long as it will work, since they've dumped so much money into replacing pagers with Minitor 4 and Minitor 5 models. When it all finally reaches the end of it's life cycle, I anticipate you'll see alphanumeric paging for volunteers and staff officers.

For now, it's a safe bet to purchase a 46.46mhz pager, but shouldn't your company issue you one?

ocguard: I truly don't doubt your knowledge, especially since I've read a lot of your posts and they are chock full of awesome information but you're thinking logically here. Yes, although BCo spent all that money in getting the volunteers new pagers, they are currently in the process of exploring options for other paging capabilities. They are hoping to get rid of 46.46 within the next few years. There was talk that they wanted to get rid of it with the digital upgrade but the issue was of course what you explained. They were already pretty serious about testing out a text messaging paging system but that quickly got shot down by the volunteer association so unfortunately, I don't know what's on the table at this point but have been told they are working on it.

Also, BCo got rid of MOSCAD with the recent upgrade... good/bad? I guess it's working so far... ha ha.

Not sure if you have a better inside source than I do but I just thought I'd share what I've been learning. Not trying to be rude :)

Status
Not open for further replies.