New P-25 Westchester trunked system

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I did do a search and found nothing. I hear at least 5 or more radio checks a day on the Westchester County trunked system from radio techs installing new radios in fire apparatus. I presume that's for the change over to P-25.
Has anyone first hand knowledge as to whether it is going to be Phase I or II. There a lot of "T" band XTL radios showing up on fleabay for decent prices and I would pick up a few if they are going to Phase I and not II.
Also are they doing a complete strip and install or just changing out the brick as I had suggest to my department in N.C.
At any rate there are going to a lot more "T" band XTL's showing up for auction soon.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Phase II. And these units from Westchester will probably never see the light of day once they are swapped out. Motorola wants all legacy equipment destroyed, that way none makes it onto the second hand market. If you check out the forms and listings section on the county website, Theres a lot of PowerPoints with good info.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider

Scroll down to the bottom and you can see updates, There are multiple powerpoints and docs explaining the status. I'll say that almost every doc has a different timeline for everything. So I don't know if everything is going to be exactly on track.

They are going to be utilizing 8 Existing sites and adding 9 more sites. Im not sure but I did a quick search and I think I found some of their new licenses. Altho looks like they all will expire by 2023.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Im not sure but I did a quick search and I think I found some of their new licenses. Altho looks like they all will expire by 2023.
Those are 700 MHz licenses...the system is going to be on the existing T-Band frequencies.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Those are 700 MHz licenses...the system is going to be on the existing T-Band frequencies.

Good, glad they will be sticking with T band. Must have missed that when I was going thru the PowerPoint(s).

Anyone have any word on the new UHF Paging they are going to do. Im still not sure if they are going to split the paging up into zones or not. Last time it seemed like they were going to have 3 Frecuenys in the north and 3 Frequency in the south (eventually).

Alarms50

Phase II. And these units from Westchester will probably never see the light of day once they are swapped out. Motorola wants all legacy equipment destroyed, that way none makes it onto the second hand market. If you check out the forms and listings section on the county website, Theres a lot of PowerPoints with good info.

I would really like to see where this RUMOR originated from, and why and how it keeps popping up.

Once the Motorola shop installs the new Motorola radio, and verifies that it works on the existing system (because it is programmed to work on the existing system until the new P25 Phase 2 system comes online), the legacy Motorola equipment is left with the individual Fire or EMS agency to do with it what it wants to do. At that time if they want to destroy it, it is theirs to do as they please. My Department has plans for the legacy Motorola radios they are now in possession of, now that the new Motorola radios have been installed.

As for the infrastructure and radios owned by Westchester County, they will (and some have already been) put up for auction.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I get a kick out of some of the urban legends and myths that are perpetuated throughout the years. As if Motorola has a team of radio assassins who travel around the country tossing old radios into an industrial strength chipper LOL! 95% of the time, MSI has no involvement whatsoever with the fate of old subscribers or the install of new ones, aside from either the direct sale to the agency or the agency's dealings with an MSI dealer.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
The UHF TBand is not what it was after “repacking”. The band does open up (tropo) towards the NW from time to time and this new DTV assignment comes into the Metro area as a result. Some PS users in USA have fled or planning to flee T Band as a result of other DTV issues. Heads up Westchester.

WSYT

RF Channel 14 (470-476) 2020

SYRACUSE, NY

540 kW

MSL 2621 ft.

Azimuth 320degrees

Distance 180 miles

Last edited by a moderator:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I get a kick out of some of the urban legends and myths that are perpetuated throughout the years.
One possible source of such a rumor might have been rebanding. During rebanding, if Sprint replaced any of your equipment, the old equipment had to be sent back to Sprint (or was it the TA?) before the rebanding contract was closed out.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The UHF TBand is not what it was after “repacking”. The band does open up (tropo) towards the NW from time to time and this new DTV assignment comes into the Metro area as a result. Some PS users in USA have fled or planning to flee T Band as a result of other DTV issues. Heads up Westchester.
Well, the county has been on the analog SmartZone T-Band system for many years, so one would think if they were experiencing interference from ducting (pre or post repacking), they would likely know about it by now. 🤷‍♂️ Not every system has been adversely affected by the repacking, and frankly I'm sure that the repacking has alleviated some of the issue with certain systems...stands to reason.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Well, the county has been on the analog SmartZone T-Band system for many years, so one would think if they were experiencing interference from ducting (pre or post repacking), they would likely know about it by now. 🤷‍♂️ Not every system has been adversely affected by the repacking, and frankly I'm sure that the repacking has alleviated some of the issue with certain systems...stands to reason.

New Channel (14)assigned in 2020, only been one Tropo season under the belt. Let’s get through this season.

Alarms50

As far as I remember from looking at the T-Band licenses, it will be the same North and South cells as the current system...just with additional subsites in each zone.

Yes, it will be using North and South Zones with the same frequency assignments.

Alarms50

New Channel (14)assigned in 2020, only been one Tropo season under the belt. Let’s get through this season.

Channel 14 is not a "new" T-Band assignment in 2020.

See CFR47 Part 90.301 which states T-Band authorizations for TV channels 14-20 were authorized effective November 22, 1978.

CFR Part 90.303 chart shows channels 14, 15, 16 are authorized for use in NYC area..

Westchester County has operated their Fire/EMS T-Band Trunked Radio System on Channel 14 frequencies since 2007, so it is considerably more than one "Tropo season".