New P25 System Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayleesdad

i think i just have generic xt settings and may not be instructive as it appears that both scanners receive okay without an antenna from my residence - maybe because 100X has to communicate from downtown Tampa and the antenna on the east side of the RC ariplane field may have some additional power to it:
p25 LP filter is "Off"
p25 adjust mode is "3"
p25 adjust level is "50"
Digital AGC response time-->Response time is "0"
Digital AGC reference gain-->Reference gain is "0"

i don't know if the p106 has a comparable control that makes the scanner hold on a system solely for a fixed period of time other than the tsys specific "dwell" setting which only goes up to 0.2 seconds or radio system defined (and a variety of other control channel specific settings like roam, quality of reception, etc...), but maybe i probably don't understand exactly what xt's "set hold time" really does or what all those p106 setting do. i thought the xt system "set hold time" is used to cause the scanner to spend more time on a particular system (tsys in pro106) and that seems to be what it does, and what else it does i don't know.

"dwell" (non-global tsys specific setting) for the p106 is only up to 0.2 seconds or radio system defined, and is described in the instructions as:

Sets the amount of time the
scanner dwells on a Motorola,
P25 or EDACS system control
channel for activity on programmed
talkgroups. Use 0 for
automatic mode, which uses
control channel information
to determine when all current
talkgroup information has been
broadcast by the system.

I dunno, the p106 doesn't seem to have an equivalent system (tsys) "set hold time" in the global p25 settings (below and attached). guess i'm just missing it.

96CC HD2 TO 9600CC SQ to HD2 timeout 30 10–250, x10 ms CC detect timeout CC HD2 Timeout P25 Trunking Length of time to wait for P25 control channel detection timeout

96VC SQ TO 9600VC RF SQ timeout 50 10–250, x10 ms VC RF SQ timeout VC SQ Timeout P25 Trunking Length of time to wait for P25 voice channel RF squelch timeout

96VC XF TO 9600VC SQ to XF timeout 100 10–250, x10 ms VC Digital timeout VC XF Timeout P25 Trunking Length of time to wait for P25 voice channel digital IMBE timeout

HD2 Qual DG HD2 qual time to unmute 96CC 100 10–250, x10 ms Qualify CC in analyze Qualify Time (Digital) P25 Trunking Length of time to check for a P25 control channel before unmuting in Analyze

Attachments

• 2000106_GM_EN.pdf
    124.5 KB · Views: 966

Tryton

Im going to try to attach this mp3, I may have to zip it.. I was moving the antenna and it cleared up. the errors went down. But it's now going up and down.. crazy.

Attachments

• Pinellas p25.zip
    50 KB · Views: 59

DickH

...I was moving the antenna and it cleared up. the errors went down. But it's now going up and down.. crazy.

The wavelength at 850MHz is about 13 inches. There will be peaks and nulls along that length. If you move the scanner just a few inches you may find a strong point. Just move slowly around your house until you find a good spot.

Tryton

Thanks DickH, It's hard because its a base, and attached to my computer.. I'ii move it around a bat.. I also set the P25 setting to 200. Hopefully that will help as well.. I do seem to be getting full bars.

kayleesdad

what antenna are you using? i've never had a base model. an extension cord for ithe 996xt or a long antenna cable for the antenna might help to test different locations. might have to disconnect from the computer to move it outside for testing briefly.

Tryton

I keep getting talkgroup 1274 with unit id showing, full bars no audio.. wierd Im using the Radioshack 800mhz rubberduckie

Tryton

This is kind of wierd, I just downloaded the system from the RR Database, and it set the system for mot type II / p25. I have the one I created myself for P25 Standard. Am I wrong, or is the database? I thought you only used type II on a mixed system.

kayleesdad

1274 is enc so that is all we get for that talk group. It should be p25 standard trunk I think.

Tryton

thanks exportdawg, I will when I get home! I was looking for some feedback, Are the alpha tags working good? Should they be changed?

Tryton

Thanks Again exportdawg!, I'll adjust it when I get home. Now to get back on topic, How would one know if they are suffering from Mulitpath distortion?

ngel

multipath distortion

If you are in pinellas county you should not have any problem receiving this system. Unfortunately it is a simulcast system and you may have problems with distortion. Look it up in the search box for one there are multiple threads concerning this issue and one person even has you tube video showing what it sounds like and a detailed explanation into it.

The easiest way to tell if you are having this problem is if you are getting some bar strength but missing transmissions or garbled transmissions

Tryton

If you are in pinellas county you should not have any problem receiving this system. Unfortunately it is a simulcast system and you may have problems with distortion. Look it up in the search box for one there are multiple threads concerning this issue and one person even has you tube video showing what it sounds like and a detailed explanation into it.

The easiest way to tell if you are having this problem is if you are getting some bar strength but missing transmissions or garbled transmissions

I think that's exactly whats happening. How can I find out where the towers are from me. I tried the lat/ long but it don't seem to work? Looking for tower 4 and tower 5 in relation to me. I'm going to post a video of whats happening.. I can go 10 minutes or so without it making a peep. I have seen I-calls come on and no sound at all (I don't know if that's enc or not).

ngel

Tower locations

these are the towers listed to site 1 which is the main 800mhz motorola ridgecrest trunked site for pinellas county (the non P25 site) toytown site covers st pete. However i believe the P25 equipment is located/utilized on those same towers being simulcasted from those towers. If you are close to or in between two of them you will get distortion. You may also have to try using a attenuation feature if you have one on your uniden. You may have to aim in direction of just one tower that may help

KNJH386 (PINELLAS, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

Oh even on the I-calls with PSTA you will only hear dispatch side of transmissions and long gaps of silence in between transmissions from dispatch as they are listening to the user you cant hear because of encryption

Last edited:

Tryton

Its very quiet for me right now at 9:30pm est.. is it for you, or am I just missing traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.