New P25 System Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryton

Ok, I set the scanner for P25 Standard, created all the sites and put it into ID Search.. I'm getting nothing.. I know this is a new system but even when I hold on a control channel, all im getting is the ID, no audio at all.. am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!!

Last edited:

DickH

Ok, I set the scanner for P25 Standard, created all the sites and put it into ID Search.. I'm getting nothing.. I know this is a new system but even when I hold on a control channel, all im getting is the ID, no audio at all.. am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!!

If the system is in the RR database we can look at it and see if there is a problem.

IF we know which system it is, of course.

kayleesdad

PSTA is only on cc 851.2 and driver coms are encrypted. You should be able to hear some dispatch. I'll check it at lunch.

Tryton

I wonder if it's because I have all the sites programed in and have it set to ID Search.. If i'm just missing it

kayleesdad

picking up dispatch side of i-call conversation (so you might have to program your i-call) and it appears that for some psta tgids might be enc on both sides. 1154 was in there too on both sides clear. i only keep on site on at a time. not a whole lot going on edit: 12 is enc on both sides and 10 is enc on driver side.

Last edited:

Tryton

what site should I have active? And thanks for your help kayleesdad!
!

Last edited:

kayleesdad

Site 5 with 851.2 as the cc on a P25 system, ID search mode on and with I-call on. I'll have to see how far on the way to Tampa I can pick it up next time over the HF bridge.

Tryton

Does the audio sound choppy to you? I was able to hear the one sided psta dispatcher, but it sounded crappy. I'm using a BCD996xt.

kayleesdad

I'm very close to a tower and reception yesterday was very clear on a 396xt and pro106. The 106 did a bit better. Overall reception seemed great yesterday on a lot of frequency ranges.

Tryton

where is tower 5 located? My error rate was between 40 to 60! I'm new to scanning Full P25, I have the bcd996xt at default settings. I live by the st petersburg airport.

ngel

P25 system

Are you hearing encrypted communications? Or communications in the clear that sound choppy? An audio copy of what your hearing will help us better identify that. I monitor this system alot. With my pro-106 i get 99% from most locations in my house in pasco county.

I have had to do alot of tweaking with the expert settings and antenna is the key. Try using MHz rubber duck antenna from radio shack it will increase your reception of the system. On key thing with P25 systems is simulcast distortion look it up in the search bar on this site. I wreaks havoc with scanners and reception of P25 systems.

There is not a whole lot of traffic on the system yet and mostly very boring stuff, School pd and parks and recreation are all that's in the clear. You will get more annoyance trying to listen because you have to listen to PSTA encryption and their heavy users of the P25.

kayleesdad

Sounds like an antenna and location issue. Thats what mine sounds like in the parking garage with a lot of cement above and below. 5 bars at the variety store accross from the airport and voice reception is clear. Digital seems touchy with these scanners. Reception seems a bit degraded when moving and seems better with a metal antenna like diamond rh789. Heck in Atlanta I couldn't get anything on their digital until I was outside the building.

Tryton

I'm using the 800mhz antenna from radshack.. its real funny, I get full bars, but it's going in and out, like its flashing, their then not their..Once I get home from work, ill post a clip. It's not enc, it's in the clear.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The scanner is going to continuously cycle between monitoring the system and housekeeping tasks. During the housekeeping tasks, the signal bar will drop to 0. This is going to happen about every 1.5 seconds or so (if the system hold time is set to 0). If you want it to remain steady longer, try setting the system hold time to a value larger than 2.

Tryton

The scanner is going to continuously cycle between monitoring the system and housekeeping tasks. During the housekeeping tasks, the signal bar will drop to 0. This is going to happen about every 1.5 seconds or so (if the system hold time is set to 0). If you want it to remain steady longer, try setting the system hold time to a value larger than 2.

Thanks Paul, I'll try that :)

kayleesdad

I'll try that too. How do you tell if 851.2 is broadcast from a particluar antenna tower? It looks like it is licensed to a lot of towers throughout the county and reception appears uniform around town.

Tryton

I'll try that too. How do you tell if 851.2 is broadcast from a particluar antenna tower? It looks like it is licensed to a lot of towers throughout the county and reception appears uniform around town.

This is probably a simulcast system. :evil:

ngel

P25 system

This is a simulcast system. That is why on the ridgecrest site there are towers in Largo, Tarpon, Eastlake, clearwater etc.. Also for my expert settings there is a setting called noise threshold for P25 system and i set mine to 50. That has helped my reception significantly around my house up in Pasco especially with decoding and clarity on the channels

kayleesdad What is the correct name for the setting in the expert settings menu for the system hold time on a pro-106 since i know you have this radio?

Last edited:

Tryton

I may have to fine Tune mine, I just got this XT. So everything's at the default. Any hints?

Status
Not open for further replies.