California Radio Interoperable System (CRIS)

OrangePelican

Premium Subscriber
Radio techs where testing encryption on TG 748 "Valley Gold" via CHP dispatch consoles today. It's now full time encrypted
The North Sacramento Area is starting their next test for switching to CRIS on the 19th. Probably getting ready for that.
I remember telling folks that CHP was going trunked many years ago, and being laughed at. I mentioned they were going full E too, again laughter. Now that it's actually happening, I wish I was hearing laughter instead of groaning and tears.
Very slowly. North Sac is the "test" area for now. If the dispatch infrastructure side goes well this time the rest of the Sacramento area offices will slowly be switched over. It will be years before the whole agency has switched.

OrangePelican

Premium Subscriber
The testing is the 15th did it get moved up ?
There are several dates floating around for North Sac going live. The earliest I’ve heard is 3/19/24. They have also talked about the week after. It sounds like there has been sporadic radio tech testing on the CHP talkgroups recently too.

They have also rescheduled this several times in the past and already tried using the system before without the desired results so it might be back to low band only again.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Hmm, seems a message in this thread has been deleted for some reason.

Anyway, Site 66 - Cal OES is now broadcasting a NAC of 9D6, instead of 9D7 that it was doing for a while.

inlandpatch

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the Santiago Peak Site (Site 30) is a simulcast cell for the inland empire area? When I was in Rancho Cucamonga (30 miles away from the site) the RSSI level was in the -60dBm to about -70dBm and in the Chino (23 miles away) area about the same. Which for Santiago that seems way to good to be true if it is coming from one site with that level. I did double check the System ID, Site NAC and everything is matching. Additionally I noticed when in Orange County it has about -90 dBm when about 13 miles away from the site. Not sure if anyone has any information if they are going to be doing simulcast cells or standalone ASR sites.

officer_415

Database Admin
I’m not aware of any simulcast cells on the system, I believe they’re all standalone sites. Some are pretty high power.

phipac

Radio & Scanner Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the Santiago Peak Site (Site 30) is a simulcast cell for the inland empire area? When I was in Rancho Cucamonga (30 miles away from the site) the RSSI level was in the -60dBm to about -70dBm and in the Chino (23 miles away) area about the same. Which for Santiago that seems way to good to be true if it is coming from one site with that level. I did double check the System ID, Site NAC and everything is matching. Additionally I noticed when in Orange County it has about -90 dBm when about 13 miles away from the site. Not sure if anyone has any information if they are going to be doing simulcast cells or standalone ASR sites.

I'm in Anaheim near Disneyland and I can barely hear the Santiago site. It seems as though they have some directionality set up on it. Lukens is solid - that must be the intended use site for much of the L.A. basin. I have no way to confirm this other than my ability to pick up the signals.