New person.. Kenwood RZ1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchin415

Hello all. Here's the story. I purchased a car last week installed with a radio scanner. I looked it up, and I think it may be the Kenwood RZ1, which apparently is rare. Here is a picture I took inside of my car attached below. It's a bad picture of the scanner itself, but I didn't think about taking one specifically for it. I'm completely new and don't know a thing about these, or how they work. I heard that I could tune into certain frequencies to listen to police and whatnot. I'm just wondering, is this thing enabled for communication, like a walkie talkie between cars? If not, I don't think I will have much use for this. Thanks. I'll definitely put up a better picture when I can.

Attachments

• 0203001028.jpg
    0203001028.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,934

fineshot1

If it is a Kenwood RZ1 than its strictly a receiver with scanning capability - no tx capability.

It was a great radio receiver in its day and I wanted one but could not afford it at the time.

If I were you I would not be too hasty in removing it - you may find it useful once you start
playing around with it.

bchin415

I'll guess it will stay in the car for awhile. Though, can someone give a quick history lesson on this thing? When did it come out, etc. I'm interested in learning more about it. I haven't found much from Google.

byndhlptom

Kenwood RZ-1

pdf of manual can be found here:

http://www.radioamateur.eu/schemi/Kenwood_RZ1_user.pdf

It is a reasonably good scanner, not the simplest to program, most models received TV (not much use after the digital conversion....). It competed in the ham market with the Icom R100.

Auto styling was either a pro or con, not many people were permanently installing like yours was

happy scanning

tom

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Actually it looks like a nice install. Like fineshot said,you may want to leave it in after you learn how it works.
n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.