Tecsun New photos and news about the PL-990X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertkoa

I am looking at the PL 990 also because of the SYNC working quite well in demos and good audio continued from the PL880 with refinements.

I am really looking forward to the SWling Review and report.

I am hoping the SYNC can be used on broadcast AM ( using either sideband ) then SYNC and narrow bandwidths to separate from other stations for some comfortable listening (not just a DX ' read ' of the signal but low static actual listening).

So IF the speaker can go a little crispier ( roll off low mids switch ) for voice than PL 880 and still have the bass for typical FM Music etc. ) and the 990X is a little more sensitive with a lower noise floor than 880 - I will order one if under $250 to $260 ...

No idea of price but it will need to be higher than current PL 880 prices right ?

I just tried out a Eton Executive Elite and the SYNC was surprisingly good , low noise floor a bit off alignment on USB compared to LSB and a bit low fi on the speaker- less bandwidth than Grundig G3 .
The Etòn also has 4 modes on the tuning dial to click through [ stop , fast , slow, and 10 hertz fine] Stop is redundant ( has lock ) and fast is available with the up down arrows .
The SYNC was excellent - I even fooled it into locking on a Non AM SSB HAM signal .
Hopefully the 990x will smoke all the portables so I don't need to try another Etòn.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A review of the pre production version of this radio by my old friend Dan Robinson is here...

Mike

Boombox

Glad to see a new radio coming out... Nice to see SWLing and DXing getting some support from manufacturers... but the timing is unfortunately poor. Last night I tuned around and heard maybe 5-6 stations total on the 31 and 49 meter bands. And those were next to unreadable, save for one domestic broadcaster and RNZI, which came in amazingly well on 31 meters (it was the only station audible on that band).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some news about the 990x availability from Anon-co via SWLing.com

For those that don't know, Anon-co is based in Hong Kong. Despite the political turmoil in that part of the world, this company seems to have a pretty good reputation for selling Tecsun products.

It's currently not known whether outlets like Universal Radio or Ham Radio Outlet will be carrying this radio, or the others that are yet to come from Tecsun

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.