Tecsun New pics and info on the Pl-990

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Remember this is all subject to change...

Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I remember when I wanted to pick up a portable while my 2010 was at Kiwa, I had to choose between the PL-660 and the PL-880. I chose the 660 because there was talk that the 880 had soldering issues. I have 5 portables now, so I don't think I'll be looking at the 990. That's what I'm telling myself for the moment ...... ;)

--
Mike

MDScanFan

I saw the price listed on some sites at around $350. If this is correct, then there is no way I am getting one. That’s a very high price point compared to other Tecsun radios that work very well at a fraction of the cost (660, 880, etc).

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I saw the price listed on some sites at around $350. If this is correct, then there is no way I am getting one. That’s a very high price point compared to other Tecsun radios that work very well at a fraction of the cost (660, 880, etc).
That's probably a bit more than I would want to spend, too. I think the best deal I ever came across was the Eton/Grundig Executive Satellit on Amazon for less than $90. Great little portable in my book.

--
Mike

MDScanFan

Come on, it’s only money ;-) Based on the features and comparable radios it seems like it should be around $150-$200.

I tried a couple Tecsun radios and settled on the 880 as my favorite. I really like the ergonomics, sensitivity, and AM and FM audio. The SSB audio is disappointing - there is clipping in the audio. At some point I may look into another portable that has better SSB audio.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Come on, it’s only money ;-) Based on the features and comparable radios it seems like it should be around $150-$200.

I tried a couple Tecsun radios and settled on the 880 as my favorite. I really like the ergonomics, sensitivity, and AM and FM audio. The SSB audio is disappointing - there is clipping in the audio. At some point I may look into another portable that has better SSB audio.
Supposedly the 660 has better SSB, which is a bit surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.