New Polk County 700MHz P25 Phase 2 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
So they are patching the encrypted P25 to ProVoice?

And that PV update to the Uniden was a contributing factor to the encryption. No more security by obscurity.

Haley

Sorry , I didn't write that very clear. I just meant that I'm getting 2 encrypted channels. I assume the same 2 that used to be PV. Well the update worked great for a few months. I should be able to use it in Florida still ( some areas I go to). I probably would have got the update either way, just like to have as many bases covered as possible.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
I use a program called Unitrunker, I have quite the extensive setup that watches pretty much every TRS in range of me.

This is what it looks like when a new system comes up:

Sounds like the setups I had 10-15 years ago. I ran the original trunker and etrunker on IBM thinkpads (486-100) that I bought on eBay and updated with bigger HDs. Both at home and when mobile. I used to go to places all over Eastern & Central Iowa. Then work took over and I lost track with computers and radios.

Haley

Other than the techs. using them a few times, I have not heard any phase 2. All phase 1, and a few encrypted channels. Has anyone (off the Marshalltown, or Collins sites), heard phase 2 in day-to-day use? Only asking because I have a 396xt and Pro 18 (phase 1 only scanners), and a 436hp, and 668 (phase 2 capable), and so far all four are hearing the same traffic.

Also I hand entered the freq. in the 2 Unidens, and used the weekly updates for the 18, and 668. The Unidens are picking up Grundy Co. (TG1537). Normally that's off the Wellsburg tower. As far as I can tell the freq. are the same in all four units. I think it may be getting patched through Marshalltown P25 system.

Last edited:

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Looking at Unitrunker this morning, I'm seeing Polk Co Fire 1, Law 1 and Law 2 all coming across the Collins site as Phase 2. Again, it depends on the radios that are affiliated to the site. If any of them don't login with P2 support, the group will fall back to P1. A couple weeks ago when I saw the new groups on the Marshalltown site, the entire site was P2. Today its mainly P1, but it's hard to say why or for how long. I know the radios that were issued are all P2 capable so maybe there are a couple misconfigured or they are holding the groups P1 manually for some reason during the transition.

Yes, Grundy County is still being patched from EDACS and has the old group number. Until the bridge is taken down, the group numbers will match. I haven't checked to see if the Wellsburg license has been updated with P25 emissions but I would venture a guess they will wait to cut that over when the Waterloo LSM TRS is done.

Haley

Thanks for all the info Adam, very much appreciated. I have the 668 and 436 programmed for phase 2 so if the go back to using it, I will be ready. I might just be too far out of range for the Collins site. I have it programmed , but haven't noted much out of it. I am starting to suspect their may be a few encrypted channels that are t showing up for some reason. When I do a limit search , I will get the ENC and tone I have programmed for an encrypted channel. But when entered as the system , I haven't really heard any. Any chance they could have a smaller secondary type system for something like that?

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The Collins site is the only one in that area being advertised as a peer by the Marshalltown primary site. If you are missing encrypted calls it could be that they are being filtered by the scanner or not showing up for some reason. The most active ENC talkgroups on Collins appear to be Mtown PD Info and Sheriff Car. They are all using the same channels as the rest of the activity. There are some data calls on these sites, are you picking those up maybe?

Haley

Yep, getting data calls on both models. I need to pay attention, because the Enc ones show when ever I search. the 700/800 MHz. Public safety bands. I just assumed the were Marshalltown. I don't think any other P25 trunked systems are within my range.

ChiefHawkeye

Premium Subscriber
Ankeny

So I'm currently SOL if I want to listen to Ankeny on my BCD396XT? If so, that is some very depressing news.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Mitchellville site is now P25 as of 12:45p

WACN: 45564
SID: 06A
NAC: 06A
RFSS/Site: 53(Hex 35)

851.1875 (CC)

Note these freqs are different than the EDACS site. I can't confirm yet if the EDACS is off the air or not at this time.

iascanguy

These frequencies match the Ankeny site. I am not hearing anything from the Mitchellville site at the moment. ChiefHawkeye, just reprogram the Ankeny site as P25 and you will be able to hear Ankeny again, as long as they don't switch to Phase 2. I am currently hearing talkgroups on my 396XT from this site.

Donald

Mitchellville site is now P25 as of 12:45p

WACN: 45564
SID: 06A
NAC: 06A
RFSS/Site: 53(Hex 35)

851.1875 (CC)

Note these freqs are different than the EDACS site. I can't confirm yet if the EDACS is off the air or not at this time.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Looks like they took both the Ankeny and Mitchellville site off the air and replaced the Mitchellville one with this P25 system. The license for those frequencies matches. It appears that the frequencies for the Mitchellville site were part of the give-back program and we to be released back to the pool. I think this is it for the new system as far as new sites go, when Waterloo goes live we will see a few more added to the CIRPSCS network. I imagine there will be a bit more in transition as the last users move off of EDACS, i see that Bondurant fire, Mitchellville PD/FD and a few deputies are still on EDACS.

I'm getting conflicting stories about when P25 Phase2 will kick in, but my guess would be after the group re-assignment is done(if it happens).

Marshalltown and Marshall county are now pretty much fully converted, the EDACS site hardly gets any affiliations now. The bridge is still up so there is traffic on it but none of it appears to originate from EDACS. Grundy county is still using EDACS, but is being patched to P25. I would guess that is for interop/scanning in Marshall county.

ChiefHawkeye

Premium Subscriber
Radioman-

Any idea if Ankeny was on the p25? I was going to program here in a few hours.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The Ankeny site doesnt exist anymore as far as i know. The frequencies were relocated to the Mitchellville site. The best site for you on 800MHz would be the Big Creek one. You are right in the middle of the 700MHz coverage area tho so I'm not sure how well it will work at your location.

After reading that, do you mean "Is Ankeny PD and FD on the P25 network?" Yes, they are completely moved over.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have drove twice through Polk County on I-80 listening to only the 800 mhz frequencies. I was able to receive from MP 182(Grinnell) and MP 110 (De Soto). My radio is only capable of Phase 1, but radio traffic was steady.

Tim

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
I'm living in far NE Ankeny and am able to receive Polk Co using Mitchellville, Polk City and am able to pickup the Polk Co simulcast on the 770mhz network using my Uniden 396.

Although it still appears that Ankeny site is still on RACOM, it looks like they use Polk Co Law 2 for traffic.

The Ankeny site doesnt exist anymore as far as i know. The frequencies were relocated to the Mitchellville site. The best site for you on 800MHz would be the Big Creek one. You are right in the middle of the 700MHz coverage area tho so I'm not sure how well it will work at your location.

After reading that, do you mean "Is Ankeny PD and FD on the P25 network?" Yes, they are completely moved over.

Status
Not open for further replies.