New power connector for a Kenwood 430

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6QVD

I have a 27 year old Kenwood 430 S. Everything works. However, the factory power connector was replaced with a Cinch-Jones connector. This has not been either solid or reliable. I would like to replace it. Kenwood no longer stocks parts for these radios. The original connector seems to have been a Molex-type connector - but, an unusual size.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be able to handle the 20 amps that the radio uses?

Thanks in advance.

John_S

After owning a TS-450SAT, I would recommend checking the Yahoo group for these radios. There's a repair guy that hangs out there who is one of the best on older Kenwoods.

LtDoc

That stinking @#$ connector is still available. It was used on all the '400' series radios and most of the others up until the '90s. If there wasn't any changes made in the chassis connector, it should be fairly easy to replace. Didn't say inexpensive, just fairly easy.
Without doing a commercial for them, a conversion between that molex plug and a 'PowerPole' type connector is offered by a company or two.
That's one'a them 'FWIW' thingys, so may not suit your particular situation.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.