• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New President Randy FCC handheld/mobile CB

BigDaddy419

Has anyone purchased the new President Randy FCC handheld/mobile CB radio? Was thinking of purchasing one and was curious has to how the performance of this radio is in a mobile setup. I would mainly be using it for travel purposes and don't want to go the permanent mounted radio route (even though I know that is the better option). Thanks in advance.

Has anyone purchased the new President Randy FCC handheld/mobile CB radio? Was thinking of purchasing one and was curious has to how the performance of this radio is in a mobile setup. I would mainly be using it for travel purposes and don't want to go the permanent mounted radio route (even though I know that is the better option). Thanks in advance.
I was watching a YouTube video from Fairpoint Farms on this radio a couple of weeks ago, pretty cool handheld with a ton of features!

WB9YBM

Has anyone purchased the new President Randy FCC handheld/mobile CB radio? Was thinking of purchasing one and was curious has to how the performance of this radio is in a mobile setup.

Just like with any other radio, it'll depend on the quality & location of the antenna...

FPR1981

A handheld is a CB radio not unlike other CB radios. Ita best performance is a product of the best antenna setup. I have a Realistic TRC-216 that if I run it on my ground plane at home, I could tell anyone I am on a Connex or Browning and they would believe me, especially if I am running my D104 with preamp mod on it.

Features wise, the Randy looks awesome. It lends amenities of modern walkie talkies to a CB platform. I plan to buy one.

FPR1981

I'm shocked that there is enough of a market with CB radio, let alone the portable CB market, for President to develop a new model like that.

Last year I would have said the same, but since COVID19, CB is experiencing a resurgence and good equipment is fetching a premium on eBay. I've also met a few hams recently that have admitted they are again enjoying CB, noting that they're turned off by the rigidity of some of the credit card hams who turn their noses up at everything.

FPR1981

Haha anything's possible. I just added a 139 XLR to the collection, and my luck also expanded to include a free Kenwood Dual Band with detachable faceplate.

russbrill

Last year I would have said the same, but since COVID19, CB is experiencing a resurgence and good equipment is fetching a premium on eBay. I've also met a few hams recently that have admitted they are again enjoying CB, noting that they're turned off by the rigidity of some of the credit card hams who turn their noses up at everything.

Not in Yuppie California... Most folks are Phone Zombies...

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
Totally
Totally agree with that statement !

KC0QMG

I purchased one recently (FCC / US version).

If a handheld (CB) is what you want than this is the best in my opinion on the market of of March/April 2021.

Compared to other handhelds I’ve had experience with this is built like a tank - comparatively speaking. The battery is rechargeable and lasts on High power longer than I’ve noticed on others.

Note: one oddity about this is the antenna connector: it’s TNC female which as many of you already know is just threaded BNC. Pick up a TNC male to BNC female adapter (or SMA) if you want to use it with other BNC (or SMA) antennas.

FPR1981

President is making the best politically-correct CB radios on the market. There isn't a better sounding, features-loaded fleet of CB radios. And as much as I don't like antenna magic, their super-low-profile antennas appear to surpass expectations. While they're not an upper-end Wilson, they work surprisingly well for as discreet as they are.

sloop

Just got my President Randy FCC. The Cobra 38 looks and feels like a bubble wrap toy compared to the Randy. It has all of the features of a mobile CB but in a ht. This is great for road trips since my wife won't let me install a radio in her car. I love the TNC ant. connector, much more durable than the BNC and it comes with an adapter TNC to PL 239.

Ct_Pirate

Just revived the need for communication equipment
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I'm going to have to grab one for going from truck to jeep in the emergency kit, the reviews are great. It's just tough to step to 4 watts but for the convenience I guess that's what its all about

KC0QMG

Anyone know what type of external mic works with it? I didn't see any mention on the site, or the manual on the site.
I believe the Randy FCC has jacks that are "Kenwood" K1 style. Bell's CB (dot com) lists as an add-on option a custom special HT wired version of an Astatic Road Dog mic (powered). From the pictures it looks like he converts the mic cable into a 3.5mm jack (which can be further reduced to 2.5mm with an adapter for radios that may have that size mic input).